Buying a new monitor, any ones you guys would reccomend?

Hello people of ORBX.

Gonna get a new monitor for my new PC. It's a shame, I have a GTX 780 but still use an old 17 inch monitor from like, '06. 

I was looking at newer ones and had liked the looks of this LG one here, http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-25UM65-P-ultrawide-monitor

Any other monitors you guys would recommend if I wanted to spend around $300?

Also, the monitor I use currently is 720p. The one I'm looking at is 1080p. For something like Flightsim, how big of a difference in framerate is there generally when moving up from 720p to 1080p?

Thanks a lot,

-Mac 

Just purchased a LED HDMI 24" LG wide in a word AMAZING .... do not know if it performs for every one like it did for me when I changed over BUT all the settings you spent months tweaking are going to need to be reset.... PS from a 19" box to 24" wide FSX I am afraid did not fare as good as I thought still looks amazing BUT FSX graphics even though improved are slightly behind  HD standards at 24".

just my opinion

Dreamer

Outrage,

With your new powerfull PC, why not going with a 27" IPS 5ms monitor at 2560 X 1440 ? It´s a bit more at around $450-$500 but worth it imo. The 25" 21:9 will be a bit short on vertical aspect. Don't forget, the most impressive part is your monitor. That´s what you are looking at each day...

Dear Outrage, I agree 100% with Mikelab6 above a 27" HD monitor resolution 2,560 x 1,440 is THE way to go. Never skimp on the monitor. You will be amazed at the resolution and detail.

I have three.

Regards

Ken

Quite a few flight simmers have given way to 3 screen setup especially with AMD graphics cards to give an eyefinity look .may I suggest some thought as to where flightsim is going to take you in the next few years. If you purchase a larger screen size than a 21" the 3 screen setup will take up a good part of a 800 desktop. I have a 3 screen setup with a 4th monitor using 21" screens there is little room left on my desk as it is. The cost of a 21" BENQ with HDMI DVI VGA is around £100

So to sum up getting anything larger than a 21" would make 3 screen setup short of room on the desktop then what room have you for a single larger screen? The choice is yours.

Greetings all,

The new equipment kitty should be full enough for a new monitor for myself in September. Dumb question though, is the performance hit for those extra pixels linear, or not even worth thinking about. То еÑÑ‚ÑŒ, if the new monitor has 25% more pixels, does the PC have to work 25% harder to fill those pixels? (The wife says get the best you can afford and with which my system will play nicely....)

Thanks and sorry about the semi-hijack Outrage.

Respectfully,

Brian

Greetings all,

The new equipment kitty should be full enough for a new monitor for myself in September. Dumb question though, is the performance hit for those extra pixels linear, or not even worth thinking about. То еÑÑ‚ÑŒ, if the new monitor has 25% more pixels, does the PC have to work 25% harder to fill those pixels? (The wife says get the best you can afford and with which my system will play nicely....)

Thanks and sorry about the semi-hijack Outrage.

Respectfully,

Brian

Hi Brian, I went from a HP 24" @ 1920x1200 to my present screen which is the infamous Dell 30" @ 2560x1600. it was the best upgrade, bar none, that I have ever made. With the viewing distance of 2ft the immersion factor is through the roof, but with the extra resolution there isn't a hint of seeing pixels. in fact you'd have to get up to about 6" before seeing any pixels! :D  As for performance hit, sure, but this will depend a little on your rig, but with your system, that shouldn't be an issue. To give you an example of the kind of performance hit, when I made the upgrade I was running with a GTX580 and my present CPU OC to 4.6ghz and the performance hit was something in the region of about 10-15%. My test scenario with the old display (the Duke sat on rwy at Anacortes with dense AG, fair weather) was returning about 28 frames, after the card upgrade I was seeing about 24. However, I simply reduced the AI and road traffic and Voila, I clawed back almost all my frames, what few I had lost. So, IMO the benefits of running with a display like this far outweigh any small loss of performance.

+2 on he legendary 30" Dell. Like Howard and FLighT, I've also been using it for a few years now and I love it for anything! With the 2560 x 1600 resolution not a lot else beats its clarity and diminished pixilation in flight simulation.

However, I am also toying with the idea of wanting some kind of larger 3 screen set up for a wider image and greater immersion. I'm finding its a really difficult dilemma as, surely, for performance reasons, I'd probably have to think about going back to lower resolution, say with 3 1080p 40" TVs or something and I don't know if I'd prefer that or not....Hmmm...

+2 on he legendary 30" Dell. Like Howard and FLighT, I've also been using it for a few years now and I love it for anything! With the 2560 x 1600 resolution not a lot else beats its clarity and diminished pixilation in flight simulation.

However, I am also toying with the idea of wanting some kind of larger 3 screen set up for a wider image and greater immersion. I'm finding its a really difficult dilemma as, surely, for performance reasons, I'd probably have to think about going back to lower resolution, say with 3 1080p 40" TVs or something and I don't know if I'd prefer that or not....Hmmm...

Hi Sid, FWIW, I recently experienced a 3 x 42" screen setup and while I was blown away with it initially, I soon became very dispondent after a very short time. The quality was a joke compared to my 30" er. I know lots of fellas will argue that immersion is all that counts, but for me, being a bit of an image freak, quality is far more important...

Hi Sid, FWIW, I recently experienced a 3 x 42" screen setup and while I was blown away with it initially, I soon became very dispondent after a very short time. The quality was a joke compared to my 30" er. I know lots of fellas will argue that immersion is all that counts, but for me, being a bit of an image freak, quality is far more important...

I agree. To me the bezels/frames are annoying in a muti-monitor display. Having a second smaller monitor off to the side to keep certain windows open (weather map, GPS, etc.) might be nice but I've never experimented with it. I have a second rig with a single 40" Sony TV at 1920 x 1080 which is impressive and I fly it a lot because that's my Orbx box and it does look very, very good, but, because of the size and the fewer number of pixels over a larger area (compared to the 30" Dell at 2560 x 1600), the colors don't pop as well and detail isn't as sharp, and I have to sit back farther to keep from seeing individual pixels. And I've adjusted brightness, contrast, backlighting, etc., on the 40" TV to get it as pleasing to my eyes as I can. But it's still a bit like the difference between watching a movie on  DVD and then the same movie on Blu-ray. Another difference, the 40"TV is grainless, the 30" Dell does, if you look closely, show a faint background grid of some sort probably as a result of it's construction. Each has to be viewed at the appropriate eye to screen distance.

But, as always, it's an "eye of the beholder" issue so check them out with your own eyes.

I have a 24" LG Passive 3D that's very nice. This one: http://www.techjailbreak.com/lg-d2343p-ips-passive-3d-monitor-complete-review-specs/

If you want ultra-wide then it's not for you, but the 3D is great with 3D Vision and head tracking. It's IPS too so the colour is good. They've kept the price down with the stand though, it's way too low and has no height adjustment. I used the stand from an old Dell for it instead.

Outrage, don't mean to hijack your thread too but I am stuck in a similiar position (see my sig for rig dets).

Are the 144Hz Refresh Rate and 1ms Response Time monitors worth investing for FSX ? More specifically, the Asus 24" VG248QE or the 27" VG278HE.

Cheers,

Marz

Asus 24" VG248QE

I recently swapped over to the VG248QE and love it.. The 144hz and 1ms refresh seems to smooth out FSX and P3d mostly noticeable when panning. Flight Sim wasn't the main reason I picked it up though as I know the gains would be marginal at best. For me it was mostly for BF4 and other FPS games. A huge difference over playing on 60hz monitors or TV's.

A question about the ultrawide, would it give more view of the cockpit in FSX, basically expanding the FOV?

Yes. Or no, depending on what you mean. You will get a relatively wider horizontal FOV for the same vertical FOV (obviously - what else could it possibly do?) Comparing with what you have already depends on the physical dimensions of the monitors too, as the size of the monitor and how far away from it you sit will affect the actual FOV.

Yes. Or no, depending on what you mean. You will get a relatively wider horizontal FOV for the same vertical FOV (obviously - what else could it possibly do?) Comparing with what you have already depends on the physical dimensions of the monitors too, as the size of the monitor and how far away from it you sit will affect the actual FOV.

Yes, that is what I mean, a wider FOV would be amazing.

Yes, that is what I mean, a wider FOV would be amazing.

P.S. I forgot to say, you have to set [Display]WideViewAspect=True. If you don't do that, you get a taller FOV, not a wider one.

Hi Howard, thanks very much for your feedback on this...It is indeed well worth it! This one's been a real dilemma for me, as you obviously understand the desire for what is perhaps 'the cake' and eating it' too with a solution that offers both highest potential for immersion with minimal sacrifice of image quality in actually being able to take pleasure from the beauty of the scenery created by Orbx...In relation to that desire, the only way I could really know if this 3 x 42" screen solution thing was something worth pursuing would be to actually lay eyes on it myself. And as I cannot, getting some idea of what your eyes have experienced is of great value to me indeed in forming some impression of what the result of such an experience is very likely to be...so I thanks very much for that...it really has been very valuable to me and most definitely of worth!  :smile:

All the best,

Sid

I agree. To me the bezels/frames are annoying in a muti-monitor display. Having a second smaller monitor off to the side to keep certain windows open (weather map, GPS, etc.) might be nice but I've never experimented with it. I have a second rig with a single 40" Sony TV at 1920 x 1080 which is impressive and I fly it a lot because that's my Orbx box and it does look very, very good, but, because of the size and the fewer number of pixels over a larger area (compared to the 30" Dell at 2560 x 1600), the colors don't pop as well and detail isn't as sharp, and I have to sit back farther to keep from seeing individual pixels. And I've adjusted brightness, contrast, backlighting, etc., on the 40" TV to get it as pleasing to my eyes as I can. But it's still a bit like the difference between watching a movie on  DVD and then the same movie on Blu-ray. Another difference, the 40"TV is grainless, the 30" Dell does, if you look closely, show a faint background grid of some sort probably as a result of it's construction. Each has to be viewed at the appropriate eye to screen distance.

But, as always, it's an "eye of the beholder" issue so check them out with your own eyes.

Thank you FLigh T for your input on this issue! This has also been very helpful and interesting to read your comparison!  :smile:

Thank you FLigh T for your input on this issue! This has also been very helpful and interesting to read your comparison!  :smile:

Hi Sid,

Your response brought me back to thinking about my post. I don't think I was as clear as I might have been about the grain comment when comparing the two.

The TV has a smooth, highly reflective, (mirror like if you will) front glass. By comparison the Dell has a mat or satin finish to it's front glass surface giving the impression of a grid behind the image on closer inspection. So room light will reflect anything behind you on the TV but not on the Dell. I have my rigs in a finished basement with recessed lighting on an adjustable reostat which causes no issues. But I also have some floor standing bounce lamps behind me in the room that do reflect the entire room behind me on the TV when they are on. If I had a window in the room I'm sure it would act the same way. The Dells surface doesn't appear to reflect anything. So ambient room light, and its angle to the monitor can be a factor in the decision.

Also interesting to note the 40" TV cost me me half what the Dell cost.

Archived