VoxATC in OrbX country

dominique

I posted this on the" unofficial" VoxATC forum on AVSIM but I know that some of you guys use VOX ATC in OrbXland and I wondered whether you had a clue to help me.

I'm testing VoxATC  for the granted seven days (read I'm totally newbie with it).  I do not understand how to file and open an IFR flight and get a clearance from a non towered airport  (for instance OrbX SAK PAVD or Siletz Bay).  I do not see a way in the menu to call the FSS or ARTCC  on the ground or to file a plan in-flight after having taken off. V-ATC recognizes the flight as IFR all right but doesn't give a squawk code and there's no way to close the flightplan at the end.  Googling the issue I saw it being raised several times but I've still to find an answer...  How do you do ?

Hope I'm not contravening any rule here , my only excuse being that I fly almost exclusively in OrbX country :).

Dom, one option is to forget VoxATC and go with Multi Crew Experience (MCE).

MCE will let you talk to the Default ATC or other add-on ATC such as RADAR CONTACT as well as talk to the Co-Pilot, the ground crew (ask for pushback etc.) and the Cabin Crew "prepare for gate departure"

I retains "progressive taxi" and you don't need a flight plan for every journey.

MCE will let you customise commands from you the pilot such as "What will you do after we land?" co-pilot "I am going to have dinner with my lovely wife" You will need to download TTS voices for these custom conversations see http://www.ivona.com/us/

Or Cabin crew "What movie are we showing today?" reply - "nothing, as usual the video machine is not working"

MCE does not affect frame rates.

Try it, you will buy it.

Regards

Ken

Thank you Ken. I've had my eyes on MCE but I mostly fly GA and warbirds nowadays.

The default ATC is, for me,  a real pain, specially in IFR with its constant call to correct one's trajectory even if you are half an inch from it. RC 4 is good. I used it in FS9 but lost my copy. I didn't buy it back as it doesn't cover VFR and the developper stopped his work on it.. VoxATc looks like the deal on first approach (pun non intended ;) ) but as it is expensive  I better test it thoroughly. A first drawback is that the MS speech recognition system eats up some frames.

One more thing to bear in mind too is Ai traffic.

If you're not all that bothered about Ai traffic, then this might not matter, but as far as I believe, VOX ATC does not use the default Ai traffic system. It uses its own traffic. As such, any 3rd party traffic add one you may be using become useless (I believe you still see them, but they do not communicate with vox so they just fly around doing their own thing).

Of course this was what I found a while ago... Things may have changed since then and I'd be happy to be proven wrong ;)

Hi there,

Rob - I use VoxATC on FSX and in P3D 2.2 - in both I use it in conjunction with Ultimate Traffic 2 - you have to download a bridge tool (UTBridge) which then links the two. I set traffic levels in UT2 to zero and use VoxATC to generate the traffic levels itself - it works fine although was a bit of a fiddle to set up and get working, especially in P3D 2.2! The combination is very good - performance is hit a little using both though so I tend to have around 40% traffic levels - also, in VoxATC you only control traffic overall rather than GA and Airliner as in UT2 - initially this caused some weird issues with major airports full of Cessnas and smaller aircraft but I re ran the VoxATC indexer and then the UTBridge tool and it fixed it.

I have been impressed with VoxATC myself - you have to remember to load up a flight plan though before you start a flight - I transfer one from PFPX into FSX/P3D including all the SIDS/STARS. Navigation data is the same as the Level D Simulations 767 so you can update that too. I downloaded some extra voice sets which creates some variety. I'm not too sure about how to get an IFR working once you have already taken off but VoxATC has crashed a couple of times on me during and flight and once I reset things it can pick up a flight plan when en-route. I think there is something in the manual about it?

Hope that helps. Like the sound of MCE so may give that a go too.

James

Indeed V/ATX doesn't unfortunately incorporate FTX  nice AU and NA trafics and so far seems to use mainly default models.

My main gripe  is still that I'm unable to start up IFR from a non towered airport.  I load my FP before firing up VATC but no joy. I'm now at S45 Siletz Bay State to fly IFR to Diamond Point and cannot get the FSS com. on ground, only the unicom ! When I'm up in the air Seattle Center recognizes my IFR flight but doen't give me a squawk code. :-[

One more thing to bear in mind too is Ai traffic.

If you're not all that bothered about Ai traffic, then this might not matter, but as far as I believe, VOX ATC does not use the default Ai traffic system. It uses its own traffic. As such, any 3rd party traffic add one you may be using become useless (I believe you still see them, but they do not communicate with vox so they just fly around doing their own thing).

Of course this was what I found a while ago... Things may have changed since then and I'd be happy to be proven wrong ;)

VoxATC uses the 3rd party addon you have installed by controlling it, so your addon is not 'doing their own thing'.

One thing to remember though is to disable any local traffic found in airport sceneries.

Voxatc version 6.45 was released today. It now includes enroute traffic and has patched the issues that made the previous version problematic ,You might want to check it out

I use World of AI with it and works like a charm always using correct livery and Never any collisions on the ground. It just works!

I'm afraid nothing has changed for me. I was in Valdez a couple of minutes ago. I opened the IFR FP before enabling  V/ATC but only got the trafic frequency. Went up in the air, Anchorage Ctr recognized me as IFR (climb and maintain etc) but no opening of the flight and no squawk code. :(

I just flew a leg from PAVD to PANC in the DV2.  You are right and heres what I do when I come up against the problem

I switch on VOX for the AI and then use Aivlasoft for the correct weather and runway and select a procedure from there . I then program Reality XP and climb out and fly the trip and activate VOX atc for the approach phase if its controlled airport or just select an approach using Aivlasoft 

If I want a real flight I wont use VOXatc anyway as it uses whatever runway FSx atc does and quite often your in a tailwind, not so good if your flying the new Papua new guinea!

I think all the ATC programs DONT use real weather for take off but Im happy to be corrected !

Sorry but there seems to be a lot of hearsay here about VoxATC and AI traffic!

VoxATC will use any valid traffic BGLs it finds to generate traffic at your departure, and arrival airports as well as enroute.

That it is why it is important to run the VoxATC indexer whenever you make any changes to aircraft or scenery.

So if you have for example MyTraffic installed (which normally disables the default traffic), you will see traffic generated using the flight plans from the MyTraffic BGLs.

VoxATC will also communicate with this traffic a bit like the default ATC and RC4 do.

(As someone mentioned, UT2 has a special "bridge" for this.)

To achieve this, you need to reduce the FSX/P3D IFR and GA traffic sliders to 0.

VoxATC has its own traffic slider and will use your AI traffic BGLs to generate more or less traffic as required.

So you are in fact using the same AI flight plans and AI aircraft as if you were not using VoxATC, it's just that the latter chooses the ones it wants to use, but you still get the right liveries at the right airports etc.

Honestly I have bought every single ATC tool around and Vox is the only one with that immersion factor outside of using an online network.

Hope that helps clear some things up. :)

yeah it sure helps  thanks

The show stopper for me is its inability to capture the FSS frequency at non towered airports. What about it at your end ?

Sorry can't comment on that as I generally do tubeliner.

Have you tried over at AvSim?

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/229-voxatc-unofficial-support-forum/

Or contacting the developer directly?

http://www.voxatc.com/Contact.aspx

The developper was kind enough to answer me  :

"If you're flying from a Non-Towered airport, VoxATC assumes you have got your clearance (as planned) over the phone before starting your flight."

So you cannot call the FSS to get the clearance and consequently you don't get a squawk code. This is weird as it flawlessly works for a VFR clearance.

Thanks again to those above who answered my post.

Archived