P3DV2.2 Chico to Redding

Rob Ainscough

Went back to SGSS AA and tested it out ... this was a wonderful sunset flight.  Just jumped in the PiperSport at Chico used current time/date and loaded ASN for weather (which was pretty accurate ... has been hot in CA these past few days 90 F) and did a short hop over to Redding.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP45vPG1GRM

My settings -- including nVidiaInspector settings this time around as I've gone back to fiddling with it for the SGSS AA

http://robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html

Cheers, Rob.

Wow!

Thanks for your video, Rob!

I feel that streetlights are still too bright but I think this should be corrected by ORBX. Lamps are constructed to shine on the streets and not in the sky.

Fritz

Wow!

Thanks for your video, Rob!

I feel that streetlights are still too bright but I think this should be corrected by ORBX. Lamps are constructed to shine on the streets and not in the sky.

Fritz

Hey Fritz, they are set to the lowest brightness and small via Lights Configurator -- but agree with you.

I didn't frame lock on recording this time ... not sure I like how that came out, will go back to frame locking while recording.  But even with SGSS AA and Dusk time frame with a few clouds crossing the sun's path I didn't notice any significant frame rate drop ... I could maintain over 30 fps and averaged about 40 fps.

But I think I'll stick with SGSS AA, it does look better to my eyes.

Cheers, Rob.

Great flight nice atmosphere. The sport is the perfect sight seeing aircraft. I was a bit astonished by its performance :)

BTW wish good luck with your PPL. Im pretty sure the flight sim experience will help you a lot. Ah and be sure to keep up with airspace class B R/T. I once got thrown out of LAS class Bravo when i messed things up :) I still remember the words of the controller... "Man if you cant catch up with class bravo r/t get da hell outta here turn left heading 090 squawk vfr, g´day" :D

Rob, just a quick question - why don't you turn on your big Nav display screen in the center of the cockpit panel?

Great video, well done.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

No need to use it so I turn it off ... I run FSCommand 9.5 or EFB on a separate PC so I know where I'm going, air space, local air traffic, SID STAR etc. etc.  ... also saves on VAS and a performance (tiny tiny amount in this case, but in some aircraft like the phenom MFD/PFD kills fps significantly).

Cheers, Rob.

I enjoyed the video Rob.

The lighting recalls for me two of my more memorable real world flights. In '73 on a MAC (Military Airlift Command) charter flight from Osan AFB in Korea to Yakota AFB in Japan we had to do a massive loop of Tokyo before we could get clearance to land at Yakota. All the street lights were laid out like on a giant patchwork quilt and your video reminds me of that. In the early 1980s I was going into Sheridan, WY on my way to Gillette for a job interview. It was snowing huge wet flakes but they were coming down slowly enough that the visibility was quite good. The town looked like one of those "snowy village" things you buy in gift shots to shake up and delight little children with. Again the lighting look a lot like your video. I think street lights do show up like that at times depending on the moisture in the air. Which is where my analogy falls apart. It has been some years since I have been to Redding but I don't remember it as having particularly moist air.

I guess my comments are not particularly helpful but I thank you for the video none the less. :)

Regards,

Tom Wunder

Climate is changing Tom ... especially here in CA, the day of that flight it was about 93 F (more new hot records broken in CA) and the air was thick with evaporation.   But I enjoyed your recollection of your real world experience and all comments are welcome.

Cheers, Rob.

good video Rob, I'm still waiting to go an P3D V2 but this one is a good point to take my final décision, great great atmosphere

I'm surprise to see the Redding runway without lights

Curious about this - is that the Orbx Redding? how did you get it work in P3D2.2?

No, this is the Redding that comes with Orbx NCA.

I'm surprise to see the Redding runway without lights

Yeah, me too ... maybe this is fixed when the separate Redding airport is available for P3DV2.2.  But there again, I didn't get clearance and there was AI traffic landing in the other direction ... oops!

I really like using SGSS AA, but I can only use it in more remote regions and with minimal cloud coverage or else performance is impacted significantly.  Hoping for "offical" SLi support in v2.3 as that should allow me to use SGSS AA under any conditions.

Cheers, Rob.

Great little flight again Rob! Loved it...Gorgeous sunset and weather with the lights of Redding itself looking fab at dusk. Enjoyed it... ::)

Cheers again,

Sid

Archived