OpenLC EU - FL150 over cities - comparison shots

Since some of you asked in the preview forum for high altitude pics over cities - regarding repeating patterns - here are some comparison shots, taken at FL150 over Brussels, Lille, Paris and Toulouse.

(Global + Vector + default vs. Global + Vector + openLC; all in FSX DX10)

(All city views: 1st default - 2nd openLC)

Brussels

Rs34W.jpg

ovTbj.jpg

Lille

ifoy8.jpg

xyjaE.jpg

Paris

5plAF.jpg

40squ.jpg

Toulouse

1nDwk.jpg

aiTg.jpg

How many people still use default LC and textures? Perhaps a comparison with UTX would be helpful. Note I'm not suggesting any comment is applied, just a simple comparison.

Andy

UTX has only urban landclass and some special ones (e.g. cemetery). With UTX the "countryside" landclass is still FSX default IIRC. So this comparison makes sense - for you bus drivers, not for me, I don't think I ever were on FL150 :D

It's kind of surprising the amount of difference Open Lc brings to a realistic flying experience. It sometimes seem that we are looking at a totally different territory, with huge suburbs section being suddenly added.

Wow, I'm seriously impressed by the Brussels shot. Gone are the patterns, a huge difference!! The fact that only one person mentioned this in the comments, makes we wonder whether others who commented are mostly flying in FTX regions, because in global, which uses the FTX landclass, that has been a major issue and I mean MAJOR!
A good example is the area north-east Netherlands/north Germany at an altitude of a few 1000 feet... , those kind of ugly patterns have always killed the experience for me.

Not anymore, the patterns are gone and I took the shot and compared it with Brussels in Google Earth using the same angle and I was very impressed. Of course you will never get 100% accuracy, but finally a lot of smaller towns and forest areas are shown and the whole area comes closer to reality than any other global product in the market. Finally you're flying over Brussels instead of just  "a" city, finally you're flying over country side instead of a patterned texture.

When we look at the first shot of Toulouse, we can clearly see the patterns in the top right corner, long dark lines....in the second image they're completely gone and there are way more random textures now and the overkill of wooden areas seems to be gone too, it's now closer to the real Toulouse.

These are the best LC Europe images shown so far on the forum, no fancy marketing shots but just an honest comparison without worrying about having the right clouds, colors, lighting, etc which are completely irrelevant.

I'm impressed Frank, continue to post more of these shots, this product is very impressive. I hope you continue with these high standards in Eastern-Europe (often neglected) and in other parts of the world, especially the neglected Africa, Asia, South and Middle America, Oceania and Russia.

UTX has only urban landclass and some special ones (e.g. cemetery). With UTX the "countryside" landclass is still FSX default IIRC. So this comparison makes sense - for you bus drivers, not for me, I don't think I ever were on FL150 :D

Not true. UTX contains accurate vector landclass not only for urban areas but forests also. Comparsion makes sense. Shapes of cities and forests will be still much more better with UTX than openLC.

That is why i asked the following question in 2 other topics, but nobody of ORBX answered:

Will it be possible to merge openLC with some vector-based landclass, like UTX, openVFR, or it would overwrite openLC completly?

If not, with openLC we will have much more better FTX Global textures management, but shape of the Europe worse than with UTX/openVFR.

Until openLC 2 will come...

ps. and as I know UTX contains not only vector landclass but fields and countrysides too.

You will need to wait until openLC is released until you can make valid comparisons. If it were me, I'd much rather have accurate 1km x 1km land class resolution for the whole of Europe versus vector LC sitting on top of default or mediocre LC.

The only people who would want vector LC for villages are those who live in EU and want to see their town best represented, which will come come in OLC V2.

ps. and as I know UTX contains not only vector landclass but fields and countrysides too.

You seem to know more than Flight1 themselves. Could it be that you have SceneryTech installed? UTX is primarily a vector addon with the addition of vector landclass of urban sprawls (they call it "synthetic LC"). For forests and fields you need a dedicated landclass addon like the ones from SceneryTech.

Archived