HD LCD TV,1920 x 1080

kiwi stu

I am close to pulling the pin on my TH2go multi monitor set up and getting as per the title of this post.

I am thinking somewhere between 32 to 39 " screen.

Couple of questions.

1. Will a TV work for me just like a monitor..obviously I will get a TV with an HDMi connection so I can plug into my computer

2. Check out my hardware specs in my sig..will it be powerful enough to run say a 39 " screen ?..or if not what size could I run for a smooth FSX.My PSU is 750w

I will be wanting to buy an IR Tracker for this setup...any problems doing that ??..I've never had one.

Appreciate people's advice

Cheers stu

Get an LED TV. Size does not matter if it is a 1080p TV. Only consideration is the size of the pixels. Picture is much sharper on a 32" compared to a 46".

Personally I use a 40" TV along with Track IR and I like the feel of beeing inside the cockpit with almost real life size instruments. If buying new today I would go for a quality 46" LED without the bells and wistles for TV viewing. I do have a 27" monitor on the side for other applications since I hate popup windows to obscure my cockpit.

TrackIR 5 is very easy to setup if you google for profiles on the net. I use one from  Angle of Attack called; PMDG MD-11 and it is public.

Your specs are plenty enough for all that.

I have a 47 led tv 1080p through an HDMI connection from my nvidia GTX 670.

I do suffer a little vertical tearing but only when I pan round fast. I've followed all the fixes regarding sync etc but nothing fixes it. I think it maybe my screen refreshes at 59hz but my GTX is 60hz ......perhaps .

Anyway it's not a real problem as I mainly fly my iFly737 cbe so panning around fast is not usually an issue. I believe dx10 wouldn't work multi monitor so you're good to go with that now too.

It's nice to have a big screen.

Enjoy

Graham

A quality HD monitor will easily exceed the capability of a TV  why because the PC "Sees" the TV as just that and in some cases will not give the resolution your lust after.  

It matter's NOT how big the TV display is you still have the same amount of pixels, 

I run 4 monitors and DO NOT use a TH2GO either, good performance currently :)

All I can say is suck it and see but don't be surprised if your  feeling a bit jaded after using a wide view and going back to a large screen. something I will NEVER do . 

A quality HD monitor will easily exceed the capability of a TV  why because the PC "Sees" the TV as just that and in some cases will not give the resolution your lust after.  

It matter's NOT how big the TV display is you still have the same amount of pixels, 

I run 4 monitors and DO NOT use a TH2GO either, good performance currently :)

All I can say is suck it and see but don't be surprised if your  feeling a bit jaded after using a wide view and going back to a large screen. something I will NEVER do .

Yes mate..thanks for your opinion.this is exactly what I think may happen to me.

The jury is still out for me I guess

Cheers stu

Yes, it is a hard life to make decisions like this! :ph34r:

I went from 1 32" to a 2x24" monitor set up than to a big 42" LED HD TV, Connected HDMI through my GTX670 and have never looked back... Best move Ive made and when Im not simming reading and clicking around on the net is an absolute joy on the big screen..

Sitting roughly 800mm-1000mm back from the screen still lets me see all the PFD and gauges in clear form :)

I went from 1 32" to a 2x24" monitor set up than to a big 42" LED HD TV, Connected HDMI through my GTX670 and have never looked back... Best move Ive made and when Im not simming reading and clicking around on the net is an absolute joy on the big screen..

Sitting roughly 800mm-1000mm back from the screen still lets me see all the PFD and gauges in clear form :)

You just changed my mind again..sounds great..what are you FPS like  ?

Do you run an IR Tracker also ?

Cheers Stu

Sh....

So I will have to try that one day. We have a 46'' TV for the family in the livingroom ...

No, just kidding! My plans are more to find another two 26'' monitors for a four screen setup.

You just changed my mind again..sounds great..what are you FPS like  ?

Do you run an IR Tracker also ?

Cheers Stu

I just received an e-mail from a local electronic shop:

They offer an 50'' LED-TV (Blaupunkt B50C4K-TC) with a 3840 x 2160 resolution for 799 Euro!

If you are interested just let me know! 8)

I am thinking about going to a 37" HD TV myself but I cannot stand "tearing" (Sync problems, etc) Does everyone with HD TV get this? It would seem easy to fix. I know the new NVidia drivers cause tearing when trying to use NI FPS setting. I now use an external FPS limiter and the tearing quit now.

I recently got a Samsung 40 inch 3D and it's awesome! 1920 by 1080. No tearing issues at all. HDMI from my GTX 760 4GB.

The 3D is native Samsung and works great. Got it on sale for 500 bucks Canadian.

Think my mind is definetely made up..I am going to go with a TV..prob around 40"

So I just tried plugging my computer into my 55" smart LED TV and couldn't get it to work as a monitor.

But think I mad an error..I plugged the HDMI into my mother board HDMI plug.

Now thinking about that and looking at the back of my computer I see an HDMI plug in the back of my GTX680

Can someone confirm that's what I should plug it into ????

And will I have to muck around with TV settings or should I just select HDMI on TV remote and it will act as a monitor ??

Man..got to he careful here..I got my pay TV on this and don't want to bugger it up !!

Plug into the GTX680. The HDMI plug on the mobo is probably to access the onboard GPU.

Mine is plugged into the GPU and works flawlessly.

I select HDMI on the TV remote and can move seamlessly between the PC and PS3.

Funny this thread should crop up now... I've been going through it in my mind too :)

I actually used to run a 37" HDTV as a monitor a little while back before having to downsize and move into a smaller place, plus getting a new job that kept me on the road... Well, I'm home more often now, and the wife and I have just closed on a house so we'll be having a new place pretty soon... and I've already been granted one entire bedroom for just myself and my toys ;)

I'm thinking of getting 3x 40" LED TVs with a TH2G setup... I loved my older 37" single setup as not only could I use it as a monitor, but I had a wireless mouse and keyboard so could just lounge back and browse, or watch online TV and such... plus I could hook my Xbox up to it so I had the one stop solution.

Obviously, monitors have better resolution capability, but to be honest, FSX is going to cry out loud with 3x 1920x1080 "TV monitors" so I doubt I'd need anything higher anyway ;)

Funny this thread should crop up now... I've been going through it in my mind too :)

I actually used to run a 37" HDTV as a monitor a little while back before having to downsize and move into a smaller place, plus getting a new job that kept me on the road... Well, I'm home more often now, and the wife and I have just closed on a house so we'll be having a new place pretty soon... and I've already been granted one entire bedroom for just myself and my toys ;)

I'm thinking of getting 3x 40" LED TVs with a TH2G setup... I loved my older 37" single setup as not only could I use it as a monitor, but I had a wireless mouse and keyboard so could just lounge back and browse, or watch online TV and such... plus I could hook my Xbox up to it so I had the one stop solution.

Obviously, monitors have better resolution capability, but to be honest, FSX is going to cry out loud with 3x 1920x1080 "TV monitors" so I doubt I'd need anything higher anyway ;)

I'm in the Maurice King camp on this issue. 3 x 40 inch screens will look impressive from a distance but when you have to sit a desktop away from them the pixelation is going to look pretty ordinary compared to the image provided by 3 x 27 inch monitors at the same resolution.

I have just downgraded from a 32 inch screen to 3 x 27 inch monitors spanned direct from the GPU and the image resolution is, in my opinion, way better.

Guys..what sort of hardware could possibly run 3 x40" inch screens..with or without aTH2go ?

This whole quest of mine is to improve my FPS as over the last installs of global and now vector my FPS is dismal to say the least..even in a light aircraft.

The only time I can achieve a decent FPS anymore is at 30000 feet .

My hardware I feel is as good as many,so I can only but this massive loss down to my 3 monitors and large resolution.

So this quest of mine is to improve my performance and not have a slide show all the time.

If a large TV is going to chew up my FPS I may as well stay with what I got

Stu

The key to remember here is that plenty of people run FSX over 3 monitors with current hardware... It doesn't really tax the hardware anymore with 40" screens than it would with 20" screens... If those screens have the same pixel resolution, then the only difference is overall size of the image.

As it has been mentioned, a larger screen at 1080p vs a smaller one at 1080p is simply that the larger screen has larger pixels... Some people prefer to have more pixels in a smaller area (higher pixel density) as it does indeed make the image sharper, some of us prefer a larger image and are willing to accept lower pixel density...

In other words, there's two things to consider with monitors... Resolution, which is how many pixels are actually displayed on the screen, and pixel density, which is how many of those pixels are displayed in a given area... Resolution is what will affect performance the most...

I noticed a bit of a FPS drop with the 2 screen set up and the most annoying point was when the monitors were pushed together there was a blind spot with the Frames of the monitors over lapping each other, Quite annoying seeing the centre line of a runway split by 40mm :/

42" is great Im fluid and happy, deleted P3d V2 and have headed back to FSX so I can enjoy my heavies and hardware, I use ezdock for my camera positions so no real need for track IR (and from what I read its more suited for GA anyways)

And yes plug the HDMI straight into you vid card..

1 little tip make sure you select an appropriate mode with in the TV itself  some have "movie, sports, theatre" Kind of settings and it helps getting that right too :)

Here it is lite up at night with the NGX

5v2z.jpg

I use my 55" HDTV for TV and for my PC, and love it.

I get no tearing, no difference in Frame rates than with the 21" ASUS monitor.

And the awesome blinds me from the pixel size.

The only way it would be better for me was if it was a touch screen and I could just reach out and touch the switches on the screen.

In VC everything is close to life size, it is a brand new simulator for me.

I've flown more in 3 weeks than I have in 3 years.

The multiple monitor set ups as far as VC look horrible to me, split views, I'd hate it.

But, running a GPS, or map, etc... on a seperate monitor is awesome.

All good stuff from everyone.I didn't realise so many people were using these large LED TVS.

So I think I might give it a go.If I don't like it I'll just connect back up my triple screen set up and I have another TV to put in another bedroom I guess so it's a bit of a no brainer.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I'll post a photo of my setup when it's all done..probably going to go with something in the mid to high 30inch range

Cheers Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I may be the oddball here, but I went back to a Benq 24" monitor after trying the 43" Ambi-light now standing in my sitting-room.

Why?

Don't laugh.. I got motion-sick, like, réally bad. :D . And I nèver got that in real planes, or boats, for that matter. Total weirdness, but I had to laugh about it too, despite my stomach doing nauseating loop-de-loops. It was even worse with games like "Skyrim", Oblivion, and Assassins' Creed, with all that head-bobbing stuff going on... (Makes me fear that I will not be able to enjoy the Oculus Rift.. Bummer..)

Still, my modest i7 930 with the, thèn, GTX670 didn't have any problem with FSX, either in DX9 or DX10. With aero forced ón, I didn't see any tearing at all. (FSX has the nasty habit of panicky shutting-down Aero). Performance over HDMI was exactly the same as it was on the dedicated BenQ Monitor via DVI.

As already stated, it's important to choose the right "mode", because "sports","game" and f.i. "Movie" will look (and behave!) quite differently on most LCD-tv's.

I noticed a bit of a FPS drop with the 2 screen set up and the most annoying point was when the monitors were pushed together there was a blind spot with the Frames of the monitors over lapping each other, Quite annoying seeing the centre line of a runway split by 40mm :/

Yeah... The more monitors, the more work your PC has to do for sure :)

As for the TVs Bezel getting in the way, I decided long ago if I ever got a multi monitor setup it would have to be an ODD number of monitors... You'll still get "Bezel Blind Spots" where the TVs butt up against each other, but with an odd number, you at least always have a full screen in the middle so the main focus is not disrupted...

Remember when flight sims used to be simple? ;) (Not complaining mind!)

i am using a 39 inch samsung 1080 p tv and works great for all my needs, but an actual monitor will always look better in my opinion, the images will always be sharper on a monitor and if you have ever seen an ultra sharp dell monitor it would blow you away.

Archived