Norcal - redwoods

jpreou

Ok, so I know nothing about US geography.

But the wife keeps banging on about redwoods. Those huge trees, ya know?

Are there any modelled in ORBX norcal?

If so, where and how do I get there? (simple instructions please; I don't know the US at all)

[ooh, how I'm going to be lambasted for that statement, I'm sure!]

Cheers

There are two kinds of Redwood trees.  The coastal Redwood grows along the coastal range from the Big Sur area (south of NCA Monterey) to southern Oregon. In the southern part of their range they grow up to the top of the first coastal mountains, in the northern part further inland, where the summer coastal fog can provide them the moisture they need.  I just flew over Watsonville and Santa Cruz, didn't see anything that looks like big Redwoods.  Fly from Willits along the Eel River towards the coast, lots of big Redwoods there, if they are modeled.  The other variety of Redwoods is the Sierra, found on the west side of the Sierras from about Fresno to south of Lake Tahoe, mostly in Sequoia National Park.  They survive the drier summers and colder winters in the Sierras.  The coastal trees form big forests, the Sierra trees are in groves and should be easier to spot.  I haven't flown very far from Hollister (my home base) yet, too busy looking at all the local sites.   If I find any Redwoods I will report back.

I think you are expecting a bit too much.

There are literally hundreds of prominent species of trees and other plants, not only redwoods. How should they all be modelled? But I think Holger is the right man for this topic, because he used to be a kind of plant researcher in a former life AFAIK.

In real life, from the air, I don't think Redwoods stand out prominently from the other dozens or hundreds of types of trees that you're flying over.  I few over the Santa Cruz mountains a few times on some short XC flights at about 5500' MSL, and, from a pilots perspective, it all just looks like trees.  You definitely notice the trees because they mean serious trouble in an engine out.  But you can't really tell what type of trees they are.

I suppose if you were a passenger and not paying attention to flying a plane, you might be able to identify some here and there.  But, as far a tree rendering goes in FSX, the difference would not be noticeable.

I think you are expecting a bit too much.

There are literally hundreds of prominent species of trees and other plants, not only redwoods. How should they all be modelled? But I think Holger is the right man for this topic, because he used to be a kind of plant researcher in a former life AFAIK.

Nah, not expecting ... wondering.

Would have been nice to say "see honey, redwoods; that is the kind of detail I get by spending all this money"! :)

Hi All,

As I was doing the NCA LC placement I placed a LC called "redwoods, large dense conifers" but I'm not sure you can spot them easily among the rest of the forest LC tiles.  I placed them in 3 areas along the coast corresponding to slightly darker areas of GE that included State Parks.  Ken Hall did the sierras redwood area so I'm not sure where he placed them.

Cheers, Neil

My video of the Crescent City area in the Community Videos should have Redwoods as I flew right by Del Norte Coast Redwood State Park located between Crescent City and Klamath. I'm not a conifer autogen expert but there were a lot of big conifers along the coast where Redwoods are in real life.

Being a California native, the large Redwoods, as mentioned towards the east central part of the state, and even I have not tried the N California land class yet, I am not sure if its there.

I hope at some point in time they can get the whole state done.

Archived