Vector and is Mesh required

antonvs

I noticed in a separate post a discussion on which mesh to use with Vector. I've never given this a thought and maybe this is because I can't remember it being mentioned as a requirement in the sales listings on FSS nor in the user guide.

I've been using Holgermesh for ages and not even given a thought that it may only apply to AU. And then I have not noticed any inaccuracies in heights etc.

So do I need another Mesh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter what they say, mesh (especially Pilot's FS Global) is pretty much required if you want the least trouble with elevations since the developers clearly used this during development.  It is not apparent in any of the materials and descriptions but now we all know.

There is no guarantee that things will be fine with FS Genesis or default.  You may get away with default in a lot of areas but there is still the chance that you will get elevation problems that won't get fixed because you're not using a Pilot's product.

But in a general sense, Vector runs with default as it doesn't make the program crash.  A 3rd party mesh is recommended, and FS Global is highly recommended.

I noticed in a separate post a discussion on which mesh to use with Vector. I've never given this a thought and maybe this is because I can't remember it being mentioned as a requirement in the sales listings on FSS nor in the user guide.

You're right.

So do I need another Mesh?

Seller says yes and no.

Hello Anton,

You're not correct in Your post  because the User-Guide tells as followed:

"THIRD PARTY TERRAIN MESH
Vector does not include any terrain mesh files. Mesh is used to provide the definition of mountains and
undulating terrain so the smaller the distance between each mesh point (the resolution), the better defined
these features look in the simulator. We recommend you check the compatibility forum in the link above or
the FTX forums to research what the best terrain mesh product is for Vector.
Orbx has also partnered with PILOT’s who have released a download version of their worldwide FSGlobal2010
Mesh product, called the “FTX Editionâ€. This is the mesh product Orbx beta testers used when testing Vector
and although it is not required or mandatory, it’s a quick solution to provide a worldwide mesh which you can
purchase and download from the flightsimstore.com – this is a ~24GB download though so be aware that’s a
lot of data!
Vector also works perfectly fine with FSGenesis and a myriad of other freeware meshes available. The most
important thing to remember is that Vector corrects all airport elevations to their real-world elevations. This
means if the mesh you are using is not accurate, you may see plateaus or trenches at airports. The best way to
solve this issue is to invest in a global mesh product that provides the most accuracy."

Vector also works perfectly fine with FSGenesis and a myriad of other freeware meshes available. 

The best way to solve this issue is to invest in a global mesh product that provides the most accuracy."

If there is a myriad of meshes availiable - how can I know which "mesh product that provides the most accuracy"?

Do you know, RODI?

Hello alcliff,

what You quote in Your post above is not my opinion, i just quoted it out of the User-Guide from FTXGlobal Vector to tell antonvs that he is not correct in writing an other version.

To answer Your question about "the most accuracy":

I'm not sure what is the best of all mentioned meshes. I'll wait for what our experts here tell us. Now i have FSGenesis, but that can change.   ???

The best way to solve this issue is to invest in a global mesh product that provides the most accuracy.

Well I guess, that would be the one Vector was developed and tested with ...

May be good to add that that isn't the one with the most accuracy! For instance FS Global Ultimate is more accurate than FS Global 2010. However, the latter is downloadable and cheaper: together with the fact that Vector has been build on this mesh, makes FS Global 2010 the best companion for Vector. But again, not the most accurate. ;)

OK. I understand a bit more now. Yes I see it is covered in the manual but I do think it was a tad sneeky not to make it more obvious. I have opted for FS Global 2010 as the best value for money as a pensioner. Going out for a New Year's meal with friends and have the download happing in the mean time. Happy New Year to all.

Well, you may have noticed during install a drop down menu. "Complete Installation (all files copied)" vs "Install scenery layers only (no files copied)". Do you have an idea, why we made that?

Yes! To address exactly this problem!

Now, run the P3D V2.0 installer again and select "Install scenery layers only". Make sure you point to the drive you initially installed to when selecting the target drive.

That is it!

And yes, it is all in the readme of the installer!

There has been much comments about the mesh and the Vector. Although it was not clear enough that the mesh was so important for ORBX Vector, the fact is that a mesh improves the vector and the sim a lot.

I purchased Vector and buying a mesh was too much for my pocket. So I remembered some years ago I bought the edition Global 2008 from Pilots on a DVD Box. I have used the migration tool from FlightSim Estonia to install it over P3Dv2, and the results are good enough for me. Now it is really a pleasure to fly with Vector. So the mix mesh-vector, although the mesh wasn't the very last one or the ultimate edition, works. At least in the flights I have already done.

I will also try freeware meshes that covers some countries, like Spain, or Italia (I think there are some).

Said that, I will wait until there is any sale on ultimate mesh from Pilots. Vector buyers might have any type of discount.

Best wishes,

There has been much comments about the mesh and the Vector. Although it was not clear enough that the mesh was so important for ORBX Vector, the fact is that a mesh improves the vector and the sim a lot.

I will also try freeware meshes that covers some countries, like Spain, or Italia (I think there are some).

Best wishes,

Higher resolution mesh has always enhanced both default and addon scenery products, I have been adding it since Fs2002.

If you don't wish to jump into a massive download at considerable cost straight away,

there are freeware meshes available for pretty much the whole planet if you search hard enough.

As a rule, they are not as accurate but enhance any scenery.

I made a simple comparison if you would care to look

here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/70900-ftx-global-ftxvector-and-addon-mesh/

Regards,

Nick.

I'm not sure what is the best of all mentioned meshes. I'll wait for what our experts here tell us. Now i have FSGenesis, but that can change.   ???

Thanks for your reply, RODI. I too will - wait for what our experts here tell us.

Stefan guess that would be "the one Vector was developed and tested with".

Maybe one day we know::)

Hello Anton,

You're not correct in Your post  because the User-Guide tells as followed:

"THIRD PARTY TERRAIN MESH

Vector does not include any terrain mesh files. Mesh is used to provide the definition of mountains and

undulating terrain so the smaller the distance between each mesh point (the resolution), the better defined

these features look in the simulator. We recommend you check the compatibility forum in the link above or

the FTX forums to research what the best terrain mesh product is for Vector.

Orbx has also partnered with PILOT’s who have released a download version of their worldwide FSGlobal2010

Mesh product, called the “FTX Editionâ€. This is the mesh product Orbx beta testers used when testing Vector

and although it is not required or mandatory, it’s a quick solution to provide a worldwide mesh which you can

purchase and download from the flightsimstore.com – this is a ~24GB download though so be aware that’s a

lot of data!

Vector also works perfectly fine with FSGenesis and a myriad of other freeware meshes available. The most

important thing to remember is that Vector corrects all airport elevations to their real-world elevations. This

means if the mesh you are using is not accurate, you may see plateaus or trenches at airports. The best way to

solve this issue is to invest in a global mesh product that provides the most accuracy."

Hi Dieter, while you are right about quoting what is in the User guide, there was no mention whatsoever at the point of purchase regarding the need for a third party mesh. In fact it was always mentioned prior to release that Mesh was recommended to get the best out of Vector, it was never said that it was mandatory to get Vector to work correctly. It's rather ironic to think that some customers, after spending a great deal of money on both Vector and mesh are still finding that they have many issues. However, I have no doubt that the guys will work their magic, but...

Hi Howard,

it's absolutely correct what You write above.

I understood the whole materie in this way, that we've to use a mesh to work FTX Vector correct.

I asked Iain Emms month's ago what mesh he uses and was told it is FS Genesis. JV also confirmed this, that FS Genesis is a good mesh for use with Global and Vector. No other mesh should be needed.

So i bought all necessary FS Genesis-meshes for regions where i thougt to fly after the release of FS Global and FS Vector. I also bought the AFM-tool to correct possible issues like tablets or deep valleys.

Now since i purchased both programs i'm "a little bit" disappointed about so many issues i can not eliminate. B.S. (a new term i learned here in the forums).

Than i read in a post from Stefan Schaefer that the mesh, that was tested with FS Vector, should be the best. Their owns!

What an answer! What now? ???

Must i have now to purchase the very expensive meshes from "PILOT'S"?

Will there come out a SP or a patch or whatever from them to use their product without so many issues or mostly no issues?

Could we purchase a changed program with drastical reduced prize from "PILOT'S"? 

I'm looking forward what will be happen to a full sucess and/or satisfaction to disappointed customers.

I'll be further a permanent supporter of orbx-products, but without such "funny" things as mentioned above. Sorry to write those hard comment, but i'm a pensioneer and not so rich, that i can permanently waste my money for experiments. 

Sorry also for my poor English that i learned at school 60 years ago.

Nice to hear your story Dieter, but sorry it's not a happy one. I really don't wish to comment any further regarding this issue, as it's difficult to have too strong an opinion on the forum, but enough to say I am also very disappointed.

Well I guess, that would be the one Vector was developed and tested with ...

Cheers!

Stefan

That is a rather snarky reply. The last paragraph gives the impression that most other mesh products work just fine, but seems to NOT be the case. It seems to me that the disclaimer was written in such a way as to be vague, because had the last paragraph been eliminated, the sale of Vector may not have been as good. Suppose you develop a product for $90.00, and knowing that this product had to rely on another product ( which might cost another $80.00) in order to make it perform to the claims being made is kind of misleading in my opinion.

OK. I understand a bit more now. Yes I see it is covered in the manual but I do think it was a tad sneeky not to make it more obvious. I have opted for FS Global 2010 as the best value for money as a pensioner. Going out for a New Year's meal with friends and have the download happing in the mean time. Happy New Year to all.

Yes I agree with you completely.

Thank you Stefan and sorry for not reading..

Why do you apologize? Stefan should try and refrain from being so snarky to paying customers. I read his post, I would have been annoyed with his reply. Maybe he should stick to developing, and leave the interaction with customers to someone else.

Archived