FTX Global and megasceneryearth, France vfr, etc

EagleSter

Is it possible for the team at OrbX to work with these developers who make vfr photoreal scenery so that we can incorporate the amazing features of ftxg such as the night lighting and autogen to work above the photo layer. I've seen the other thread where ftxg and open vfr Germany and Netherlands looks outstanding together with ftxg. You get the best of both worlds. I know that France VFR is now offering an addon pack for its photo scenery to have autogen trees and buildings layered above their photo scenery and the results look gorgeous. I would love to see this being done and hope that these creators of photoreal scenery and the people at OrbX can come together and make something beautiful that should benefit the entire flight simming community. Right now things are too fragmented in the flight simulator world. We all need to come together and collaborate as a team to make things work well together. FTXG has open doors ever since it's release and I'm anxious to see it grow into something spectacular.

Nope I don't think it will happen. They are two completely different types of scenery and Orbx has shown no inclination to venture into the annotation of photoscenery at all, it's just not their thing. There are already moves afoot by other developers in the Uk and Europe to bring products to market that include photoreal and full autogen, and they are getting better all the time. There are also freeware tools that allow the creation of autogen already out there. Either snap up those newer sceneries as they come to market, or get involved in creating some yourself...but IMHO if you expect Orbx to do it for you you will end up being disappointed.

But...JV said not so long ago....

As I have already said elsewhere we will be adding the new zero-FPS-hit 3D lights to PNW and all other FTX regions progressively, but it's a big project since it requires re-annotation of thousands upon thousands of texture tiles to get it done. Not a trivial task.

...that sounds very much like the zero FPS hit 3D lights are autogen, if the base texture tiles need annotating with them? If so, it may be possible to use something like Arno's scenproc with open source openstreetmap data to add some lights to motorway and road networks ????

I've seen the other thread where ftxg and open vfr Germany and Netherlands looks outstanding together with ftxg. You get the best of both worlds.

openVFR has nothing to do with photoreal scenery so this combination doesn't give you 'the best of both worlds'... Orbx only uses photoreal with their airport addons: their regions will always be landclass based with a few photoreal area;s (mountains and so on).

Geez, we cannot afford to have EVERYTHING installed.  So generally speaking we all kinda choose between photoreal scenery and seasonal landclass based scenery.  When evaluating a new purchase of some interesting new scenery packages, then you need to be mindful of that.

Is it possible for the team at OrbX to work with these developers who make vfr photoreal scenery so that we can incorporate the amazing features of ftxg such as the night lighting and autogen to work above the photo layer. I've seen the other thread where ftxg and open vfr Germany and Netherlands looks outstanding together with ftxg. You get the best of both worlds. I know that France VFR is now offering an addon pack for its photo scenery to have autogen trees and buildings layered above their photo scenery and the results look gorgeous. I would love to see this being done and hope that these creators of photoreal scenery and the people at OrbX can come together and make something beautiful that should benefit the entire flight simming community. Right now things are too fragmented in the flight simulator world. We all need to come together and collaborate as a team to make things work well together. FTXG has open doors ever since it's release and I'm anxious to see it grow into something spectacular.

Like it.

You nail the thing  to the door. Maybe it cant be done, but who know?

Henrik

unfortunately, as has been said, this is simply not possible... In order to view autogen, FSX requires that the textures you're flying over at any given time has autogen placed on it ("annotated" to use the developers terminology)... If you're flying over global, then great... FSX will draw the autogen that the ORBX developers placed on that individual texture you happen to be flying over (and the night lighting is autogen). Once you start flying over photo scenery, you're over a totally different photographic texture, so FSX can only show autogen there is it has been placed there by whoever produced the photo scenery (Like Earth Simulations etc). Obviously, this means placing every building and tree that is shown on each 1km by 1km tile of photo scenery... A mammoth task by anyone's standards!

Even if it were possible to somehow  "allow" the underlying FTX global autogen to display on top of photo scenery (and as far as I know, it isn't possible), the combination would look terrible... You would get buildings in all the wrong places, forests where there should be other things... The FTX Global autogen is tailored and hand placed to the FTX Global textures... and so don't reflect the real world...

Yes I was... It was with the boxed dvd edition of Megascenery Phoenix. I will try and get a photo uploaded somehow.. The lights did though match up with Pecos road and the I-10 freeway.

I do not understand what I AM doing wrong... I have pretty much all ORBX scenery and im getting dogged on. All i say is the lights matched up and looked in my simulator why would they not??

As I understand it, one can use either FTX Global or photoscenery.

Photoscenery will always over ride generated scenery and any autogen,

as FTX lights are.

You may well be seeing lights in the right places but I suspect that they will be as

a result of custom scenery objects made by Megascenery, not by FTX.

Regards,

Nick.

Yes I was... It was with the boxed dvd edition of Megascenery Phoenix. I will try and get a photo uploaded somehow.. The lights did though match up with Pecos road and the I-10 freeway.

I do not understand what I AM doing wrong... I have pretty much all ORBX scenery and im getting dogged on. All i say is the lights matched up and looked in my simulator why would they not??

As I understand it, one can use either FTX Global or photoscenery.

Photoscenery will always over ride generated scenery and any autogen,

as FTX lights are.

You may well be seeing lights in the right places but I suspect that they will be as

a result of custom scenery objects made by Megascenery, not by FTX.

Regards,

Nick.

The thing to realize here is that FTX Global actually has TWO different types of night lighting... The Autogen lights that are placed around the FTX Global textures (you will definitely not see these when photo scenery is showing in the sim), plus then there is Vector Road Lighting... This actually is coded to find the FSX vector roads and follow them... I know UTX road lighting can be seen over photo scenery and works much the same way, so it is possible that FTX Global vector road lights might also be visible... I can't say for sure though as I don't have any photo scenery (at least none that's installed right now).

So if you're seeing anything, it will be the vector road lights... and if so, great! It's good to know that this is working out for you...

This is from the Megascenery site.

MegaScenery technology knows where virtual every highway, street, road and neighborhood is and lights it up realistically

I have edited out most of the speil but it does explain where your lights are coming from.

I cannot make any roads light up in any of my photoscenery.

Regards,

Nick

Yea you know I checked again last night in the area I was flying with Megascenery and the lights werent there this time.. there was though some here and there, but not like what I thought I saw lol. mY mistake I guess.. I could have sworn though lights were bleeding through and it really lit up the freeway nicely with megascenery. Thanks guys

Archived