A funny thing happened on the way to Faro....

birdguy

A couple weeks ago we were discussing FSX and mesh scenery.  At the time I posted a couple pictures comparing Mt. Tamalapis just north of San Fancisco comparing FSG mesh and default FSX terrain.  There was hardly any difference.

Yesterday I was fly to Faro in the Yukon and got a rude awakening.  This is Faro with FSG mesh installed.

T7PJo.jpg

This Faro after deleting my FSG mesh.

7KfGJ.jpg

You can see the lakes have come down off their plateaus with the FSG mesh disabled.  But the mountains in the background are no as rugged with the FSG disabled.

Based on this I decided to make another test.  This is Mt. Whitney looking west at about 12,000 over the Lone Pine airport.with FSG mesh enabled.  Mt Whitney is just to the right of center with what look like steps going up the north side.  It's the highest mountain in the Lower 48.

FwzpT.jpg

Now this is the same shot of Mt Whitney after I uninstalled all of my FSG mesh.

ZTcY9.jpg

Not much difference eh?

Based on these findings I have decided to uninstall FSG mesh and fly without it.  Not much of a loss because 90% of my flying is done Orbx regions anyway.  And I gain 42 gigabytes on my SSD.

Perhaps someone who has a different brand of world mesh can give us a screen shot of Faro so we can compare FSG mesh with something else.

Noel

Good post mate.  I have been thinking of a world mesh for FTXG and after seeing those comparisons of FSG, I too will be interested in seeing the other mesh. 

So FSG is a non starter for me now..  :)

Stick a shade like Moggie onto FSXG  and it will maybe better than FSG..

As a matter of interest only, I think it's more what FSX does to the mesh rather than what the mesh does to FSX, in some cases.

Here is Bogota, Colombia with default scenery and no mesh addon.

Note the four lakes.

The large rise in the terrain to the left of the third lake from the foreground is the corner of the default airport.

You can't quite see the runways because they are in the wrong place.

chcb.jpg

Add a photoscenery insert and any addon mesh, whether free or payware and you see this.

You can now see the runways and the airport is no longer on a plateau.

hv69.jpg

Now corrected using custom flattens, you can see there is no water in any of the four locations in the real world

6nnr.jpg

In the default scenery and mesh, El Dorado International is placed on a huge plateau, 1076 feet above the surrounding terrain.

Once the addon mesh is applied, the surrounding terrain is raised to the correct height and the airport is level, as in the real world.

Unfortunately, the water in the spurious lakes remains at the default height and "pulls" the terrain down to its level, just as in your case, it pulls the terrain up.

The effect is just the same, it ruins the view :mellow:

Regards,

Nick

FSG can also stand for FS Global Ultimate.

I am considering replacing my FS Genesis mesh with FS Global Ultimate.  But I would like to see screen shots of Bogota Columbia and Faro Yukon Territory first to be sure I'm not just duplicating what I already have with FS Genesis.  Does FS Global Ultimate really outperform FS Genesis?  I need to see a comparison before I buy.

Noel

The elevations of airports can be corrected with Pilots' AFM.  It's the off airport scenery such as crater lakes that concern me. 

Right now I am doing without mesh because the trade-off just isn't worth it.  Obviously some mesh is better than others.  I want to know how much better FS Global Ultimate is.  It's a bit too pricey to purchase to try out and find out it's no better than FS Genesis.

Noel

Just to exclude any other possible cause of the holes.

In this case, I have nothing at all added to the default FSX scenery library.

You can see the 1076 foot high table created by El Dorado.

gueh.jpg

In this case the only addon scenery in the whole library is FsGenesis mesh for Colombia.

The skyline looks much less bland but....

s8i3.jpg

Unless FS Global Ultimate has a way to stop the water pulling the scenery, I expect it wll look much the same.

In my experience, Fs Genesis has severe limitations in certain areas of the world.

Fs Genesis Colombia is no better than the several freeware meshes, all of them introduce anomolies.

FsGenesis Iceland, when it was eventually released, proved to be totally inaccurate,

to the point where it wasn't usable, even in the capital city, Reykjavik.

I was told, in writing, by "Justin Tyme", that this was due to the quality, or lack of it in the raw data.

There are better freeware meshes available.

Possibly it is my fault for choosing to fly in less mainstream areas, though they are often where

the more interesting terrain is to be found.

I do not recommend FsGenesis at all and would also be interested to see how FS Global Ultimate

performs.

Regards,

Nick

Archived