182 Forced Landing

He didn't do any emergency checks or check the engine throttle/ mixture etc. I do not like that he has a huge GPS obliterating the flight instruments or that he hangs his checklist on suction cup hanging on the windscreen again obliterating view out the window and as shown they can dislodge and be difficult to get when needed. He did do the right thing and land straight ahead and good the lived to fly again.

Yeah I think he did a bugger of a job. When the engine first started to die, he had miles of runway left on that intersecting runway. He could have shut the throttle, dropped full flap and landed. Instead he kept going and hoped the thing would carry him past the trees to the next paddock, which luckily (and surprisingly) for him it did.

Yeah, he probably could have landed on the remaining runway areas.  I'm willing to forgive not doing the checklists, because with 200 feet of altitude, no engine, and no copilot, really the only thing you should be doing is flying the plane.

I'd agree about cluttering the workspace though - I prefer a clean cockpit.  Ignore all the empty beer bottles on my desk.

-stefan

It's hard to judge from a Youtube video with a narrow field of view, no sound and no sense of movement, vibration etc. It's also quite possible that the GPS didn't obscure as much of the panel as it looks like in the video. In the real world, your head is not a static camera, you can move your head laterally and vertically to look around it.

Generally though, don't they teach that it's a very bad idea to try to turn back or put the plane down on the runway again if your engine quits on takeoff?

Generally though, don't they teach that it's a very bad idea to try to turn back or put the plane down on the runway again if your engine quits on takeoff?

Yes that is correct - I was taught not to turn back - land straight ahead and to land on the runway ahead if there is room but there may be no choice of where to land so landing ahead on the runway depends upon many factors.

The main thing that was drummed into me is to land ahead - do not turn back!

Hi.Am i missing something.the engine was still running (imho) when he landed.He seemed very nervous right from the start of the video.just my two cents worth...cheers Bill

I would rather fly with a nervous pilot than someone who just kicks the tires, gives the wings a tug to make sure they're still attached and then hops in and firewalls the throttle...

It's hard to judge how much power the engine is producing from the Youtube video. You're just hearing a faint engine noise and some alternator whine. In real life you can probably feel it when the engine stops producing power... 

Hi.i wouldn't even let that guy drive me to the local shops in his nervous condition.Nothing to do with his flying just his anxiety level....cheers Bill

No disrespect Bill, but we can all simulate engine out landings all day long.  Would I actually want to experience one? NEVER!!!  I would like to think I would remain calm if I did loose an engine, but I hope to God I never get to find that out. Let's go back to the old addage..... ANY landing you can walk away from, is a good one.  As armchair quarterbacks, it's easy for us to say what he did wrong, but let's also think about what he did right. As mentioned earlier in some the responses, he didn't try to turn back to the airport.  Once he picked his landing spot, he stuck with it( just as you're taught in training). Finally, he didn't stall the airplane with such minimal attitude.   The fact that he is able to share the video with all of us speaks sheer volumes to me. That he did the one major thing he needed to do, which was walk away alive!!! 8)

IMHO he had enough time from the very first burp at 2.55 turn right to the other runway and do a forced landing there, even if he couldn't stop I suspect he would have been going slow enough that only pride would have been damaged.

But at the end of the day he managed to save the Aircraft with minor damage I suspect and a seat that might need replacing due to soiling. 

hi iflygary.What i did say earlier was that he seemed very nervous from the start of the video.also i said that i had nothing against his flying.....cheers Bill

Bill,

No worries.  I'm wondering if he was either a student pilot that had just gotten his endorsement from his instructor to do solo flying, or if he had just gotten his private certificate and at the time had low flying hours. You're right he did seem "gimpy" from the start but at least he lived to talk about it! ;D

hi iflygary.i was quite impressed with the landing and yes he walked away which is all that really matters...cheers Bill

Yeah, quick decision-making and textbook touchdown. Low-hour pilot maybe, rookie no way. And doubtless a much safer pilot as a result of this.

Archived