Unable to use "nter" Key in Forum Topics.

woodduck

I find myself unable to use the "Enter" key while posting. The key is totally unresponsive. It applies only to this Forum. Re-searching this Error it appears there have been problems with users with W7 and IE10. Jay, maybe you may have the answer to this problem. Please guys don't respond with the suggestion to change browsers, I know this problem will be fixed.

I suffer from the same problem - but it only affects this forum. I can use the enter key on Avsim without problems. Using Win7 64 bit with IE10. As John said above, I'm not interested in changing my browser which works perfectly everywhere else. Saw some statistics in December which said 55,4% of users still use IE, would be nice if the ORBX forums could cater for the majority as well. Cheers Jack

I don't want to change browsers either, the amount of bloatware Google has tried to sneak into my computer (especially after adobe updates to one of their products, just looking in task manager and services tells the story) in the past caused me no end of performance headaches (slowed down overall response times, mouse failures to respond, outright lockups, screwed up DLs). I stick to plain vanilla and Bing. I personally find all the bells, whistles, animations, etc. an annoyance, not a benefit. But that's just me.

PS: no problem using enter key at Avsim.

PSS: Funny, I just came back to Edit this post and the enter key works? It seems to have something to do with the Toggle Editing Mode icon in the toolbar above when in edit mode. With the toolbar grayed out enter key works, turn it on and it doesn't, computers, LOL.

Ian, second Post. I have been attempting to reply to your query for over two hours. I have been able to draft a reply, but it appears I have been unable to post within a topic. I have been able to see the message being saved, but the page did not change. I am posting from my neighbours home. Again, I am still unable to use the "Enter" key.

OK, understood.

The forum software is from IPB (same as a large number of forums on the internet). It does have some plugins that Jay will understand, so perhaps this is where the problem lies.

Incidentally, IE8 and 9 were quite buggy with IPB software when they were launched (usually had to try twice to edit a post, and changing dialog) It was so annoying, it was the catalyst to move to Firefox for me, and then to Chrome. Incidentally, no bloatware or random failures (mouse init/driver failures will NOT be due to your browser!) I make a point of refusing gratuitous Toolbars etc.

@woodduck: If you are unable to post, am I to understand that you can't click on the "Post" button below the Reply window, either? That is odd. Does the problem persist through a page Reload/Refresh (this used to cure the old IE8/9 problems)

Hi, we had this discussion in another thread a couple of weeks before, but without any result. I am a sufferer, too. I can use the Enter key on several other forums including AVSIM, Prepar3D. This one is the only one where it doesn't work. This is after upgrading to IE 10 under Win7. Kind regards, Michael

Hi guys,

it seems to be specific to IE10 and the only workaround I know of (other than using a different browser) is to hit F12, which opens the developer tools menu, and then selecting "Internet Explorer 9" in the "Browser Mode" submenu.

Cheers, Holger

Further food for thought.

I think this may be normal practice for the enter key not to post the topic. The reply box is nothing more than a word proccessor and the enter key will therefore act as a line dropper as in all word proccessor's, that is why there is a Post button.

The only difference in using the enter key to post in a WP is the abillity to save the doc first, then press enter. There is no save facility in the topic reply posting so the enter key can not function as a poster.

"Me thinks" or have I :footmouth: ?

Jaydor, at least I for one am not speaking about sending. I am unable to introduce a line break into text using the Enter key. The Cursor just stays where it is. I always send Messages using the "Add Reply" button. Regards, Michael

Hi guys,

odd that but you're correct, that work-around doesn't seem to work anymore. I've since stopped using IE but when the issue first occurred after IE10 was introduced the compatibility tweak did work. Perhaps additional updates to IE10 or the forum software since then have "killed" that option.

Sorry, I guess we'll need to wait for an update to the forum software for IE10 users; Jay might know if/when that might happen.

Cheers, Holger

I compose all my replies in Notepad with a double line between paragraphs where I want a single line gap. Then I cut/paste into the ORBX window and click the post button. Pain in the butt, but a workable workaround for me at the moment until the issue is fixed.

Jaydor, at least I for one am not speaking about sending. I am unable to introduce a line break into text using the Enter key. The Cursor just stays where it is. I always send Messages using the "Add Reply" button. Regards, Michael

Ooops sorry I understand now. So that I think, has to do with your browser settings, as

you can see mine

works OK

Ok, the issue was not an IPB issue but it is a flaw on Microsoft's end (now THAT would not happen now would it?) in regards to backward compatibility.

The forums have now been upgraded to the latest version and some tweaks have been made to avoid this issue for everyone here, can you please confirm this for me

Jay,

Enter key works fine, now, but default font size in the Editor box is very small like this one. (I just wrote into the Reply box, nothing else) Kind Regards, Michael

Hi guys,

it seems to be specific to IE10 and the only workaround I know of (other than using a different browser) is to hit F12, which opens the developer tools menu, and then selecting "Internet Explorer 9" in the "Browser Mode" submenu.

Cheers, Holger

Yup one word...."Firefox"....no issues whatsoever.

Archived