Well meaning but .....

chumley

It seams that when someone asks a question in the payware support forum (or whatever it is called) they get a plethora of responses which occasionally gets out a hand from well meaning members. Earlier today one member got a little ticked off because his post was edited by a moderator and he suggested that rather than being edited he would prefer the post be removed. Fair comment from my perspective. The relevant thread has now been locked but not before a comment was made to the effect that payware support should be the domain of ORBX people.

In view of this is there some way the payware support forum can enable anybody to post thread regarding a support request, all can read it but only ORBX authorised personnel can respond? This to my mind will solve the issue of anybody and everybody having a say and importantly prevent the forum police from jumping up and down whenever anyone posts a support request without purchase details in their signature.

For the most part, I agree with that statement to.

Ive admit, that i have told newbees to add ordrnr. But:

It relive the "police"/moderators and second, it speed the "answer"proces time, from the moderator and i get the possibility to say hallo to the new member,

who havent read all the roules yet. In the beginning, its very confusing ,and remember that not all members is native English.

Sometimes, you have to "place your self in a "newbees" situation.

Best regards

Henrik

Forum members should do their best to answer the question, but not police the rules. If order numbers are becoming such a concern, orbx could do something like REX or ultimate traffic where they verify the customer before allowing them access to the forum. It's also impractical to have every single order number in a sig. If I did, my sig would be like 40 lines long. Having one number is enough that staff could look up my purchase history if they wanted to, and as far as I know, that's accepted. Members still often crab at people about the specific order number for the specific product. That's none of their business!

As a community, we shouldn't have an inherent thought that everyone is guilty of pirating software until proven innocent. Let orbx or FSS sort that out themselves.

tl;dr: i'm against locking the topic so that only staff can answer questions, because it often delays answers that a community member could answer right away, and sometimes the devs won't have an answer that another user may have discovered on his/her own. I am all for prohibiting normal community members from asking for order numbers.

-stefan

I think that this thread makes reference to my earlier post (now locked it would seem) but just to clarify said post. The initial comment attacked "the forum" and Jay Kae, and it was that, and that only, that prompted my post. I have not, I believe. ever intruded on questions to the staff of Orbx, and never will. I my have made minor comments, but the moderators are the people that handle all technical posts. Teecee.

I have to say that i like ORBx , Carenardo, Rex, A2A, Abacus (etc.) and i dont aprove ei. Aerosoft, RealAir, FSDT and other who is very, very paranoid (seems too be).

Some of these firms is very hard to purcase from and get Re-downloads from.

Q Stefan:

"As a community, we shouldn't have an inherent thought that everyone is guilty of pirating software until proven innocent. ": you are right, but still, i think its necessary to prevent destruktive

elements from spoiling this GREAT FORUM (just you ask Jay Kae).

Q Stefan: i'm against locking the topic so that only staff can answer questions, because it often delays answers that a community member could answer right away, and sometimes the devs won't have an answer that another user may have discovered on his/her own. I am all for prohibiting normal community members from asking for order numbers.

+1

Henrik

Q Stefan:

"As a community, we shouldn't have an inherent thought that everyone is guilty of pirating software until proven innocent. ": you are right, but still, i think its necessary to prevent destruktive

elements from spoiling this GREAT FORUM (just you ask Jay Kae).

Henrik

True, but it's not the members job to police order numbers. We don't even have a means to look it up. Let's say that I demand an order number from someone, and they reply with "OK It's FSS #153323." I have no way of verifying that, so it's pointless for me to even ask for it. Just help the guy and let ORBX or FSS worry about that aspect. If you want to have a personal rule to not help anyone without order numbers in sigs, go for it, but demanding them is like asking other patrons in the bar what their birthday is before passing them a beermat.

-stefan

Quote my self: Ive admit, that i have told newbees to add ordrnr. But:

It relive the "police"/moderators and second, it speed the "answer"proces time, from the moderator and i get the possibility to say hallo to the new member,

who havent read all the roules yet. In the beginning, its very confusing ,and remember that not all members is native English.

Sometimes, you have to "place your self in a "newbees" situation.

Q Stefan:True, but it's not the members job to police order numbers. We don't even have a means to look it up.

Henrik: so what?? ..I always think: what will i expect from a forum, as a new member, well i really like t he ORBxs style; and i think that J.V have get it right.

Henrik

I'm just saying that there's no point in people rushing to be the first one to demand an order number like some sort of internet policeman when they couldn't possibly verify it in the first place. If ORBX wants to ask for a number to verify that's their privilege. Until I see them asking regular forum members to demand order numbers, I don't think it's something that should be done. Like I said, I don't run around the bar asking other customers how old they are.

-stefan

I don't see what's not gentle about not demanding order numbers from other community members, but I've explained my position on this (honestly not really important and not anything I should have anything to do with in the first place) issue so I'm going to duck out at this point and let the forum mods and admins deal with the moderation/administration issue.

-stefan

Hi Gents,

First of all thank you for the positive angles of your posts on the subject, please keep it like that and please do not engage in personal swashbuckling as it is counterproductive of the goal we all here together like to achieve, if it would be up to us we would leave things wide open for everybody that wanted to post, but, alas as you all well know there are and always will be "elements" out there that acquired our FTX products via other means than via the regular vendors and are constantly trying to access our data for obvious reasons, hence we had to implement the access to the forum rules and trapdoors to keep those out and to be able to support within the reach of our means and possibilities our true members = customers.

You all will see quite regularly that posters ask a question and when kindly asked by one of the Team to add their ordernumbers to their Sig as per forum rules they do not react anymore or even post up fake numbers to try our patience, hence why the request to our membership to refrain from answering support questions till we, the Team members, at least have had a chance to check things out and verify the users questions and credentials, once that's done you are all free to jump in and help out, and we appreciate that, as we don't have all answers either, we are just mere mortals and we try our best to help everybody out within the limits of our possibilities.

rests me to say thank you to you all for your understanding and together we are making the best product support forums ever :)

You all will see quite regularly that posters ask a question and when kindly asked by one of the Team to add their ordernumbers to their Sig as per forum rules they do not react anymore or even post up fake numbers to try our patience, hence why the request to our membership to refrain from answering support questions till we, the Team members, at least have had a chance to check things out and verify the users questions and credentials, once that's done you are all free to jump in and help out, and we appreciate that, as we don't have all answers either, we are just mere mortals and we try our best to help everybody out within the limits of our possibilities.

rests me to say thank you to you all for your understanding and together we are making the best product support forums ever :)

To clarify, is this in favor of only team members asking for the order numbers? I understand the request for members to not give support until the order has been verified, and that's perfectly fine. The clarification I'm looking for is "is it acceptable or requested that forum members who are not part of the ORBX/FSS team request order numbers from other members?" As a current and past forum admin, I didn't want non-staff or moderators trying to enforce the rules. I had a staff that I trusted to do it in a way that would properly represent the "company" (for lack of a better term). Regular members, no matter how well-meaning, could often unintentionally be abrasive and upset new members who were not familiar with the rules, and some of them seemed to revel in being able to lay the smack down on someone who didn't know better. I hated seeing posts on other forums about how the members at XYZ Forum were obnoxious self-important internet police and that it was best to stay away, so I had to stop it.

I really hope I'm not coming across poorly. It's just a thing that I've had to control in the past on a completely unrelated site, and so it's a thing that bothers me I suppose.

-stefan

Note: I'm not implying in any way, shape, or form that any individual members on this forum (with the possible exception of myself, of course ;) ) are obnoxious, self-important internet police.

Hi Stefan,

you are correct, that is what we politely request to our members is to refrain from asking ordernumbers, that's the Team's job, who all are recognizable by their SIg and name display in a different color to the regular membership

Hi Wolter,

Thanks for clearing that up! I'm all in favor of that, and I certainly understand your position of not assisting other members until an order number has been verified.

Take care,

-stefan

Wolter:

But do i really have to add all my ordsernumbers...really.... ???

Henrik

That's actually another good question - is a single order number so that you can verify who I am on FSS good enough, or do you need literally every single order number I have to be placed in my sig?

-stefan

Just to be clear. I havent the sligstet mean to be a police for this forum at all.

Wolter:

But do i really have to add all my ordsernumbers...really.... ???

Henrik

Henrik, I know and the Team knows you also by now and yes we have the means to check

123695 ORB-000 Orbx - FTX: Australia SP4 Download

123843 ORB-052 Orbx - FTX: NA Blue USA/Canada Pacific Northwest

124055 ORB-017 Orbx - FTX: AU YBCS Cairns International Airport

124055 ORB-015 Orbx - FTX: AU YBBN Brisbane International

124055 ORB-016 Orbx - FTX: AU YMML Melbourne International v2

131431 ORB-060 Orbx - FTX: NA Gold USA Central Rocky Mountains

131431 ORB-601 Orbx - Lancair IV-P

131520 ORB-018 Orbx - FTX: AU YSCB Canberra Airport

131529 ORB-006 Orbx - FTX: AU YPJT Perth Jandakot Airport

131717 ORB-011 Orbx - FTX: AU YHBA Hervey Bay Airport

131717 ORB-020 Orbx - FTX: AU YPMQ Port Macquarie Airport

131928 ORB-013 Orbx - FTX: AU YSTW Tamworth Airport

134345 ORB-057 Orbx - FTX: NA Blue USA/Canada Northern Rocky Mountains

135122 ORB-067 Orbx - FTX: NZ South Island (Pre-Pay)

135122 ORB-056 Orbx - FTX: NA Blue USA/Canada Pacific Fjords

135424 ORB-021 Orbx - FTX: AU YMEN Essendon

135424 ORB-019 Orbx - FTX: AU YBUD Bundaberg Airport

135424 ORB-058 Orbx - FTX: NA KORS Orcas Island

136463 ORB-059 Orbx - FTX: NA KCMW Cushman Meadows

136463 ORB-063 Orbx - FTX: NA 74S Anacortes Airport

136463 ORB-701 Orbx - FSX Go Tweak & Launch

136463 ORB-064 Orbx - FTX: NA KBVS Skagit Regional

136463 ORB-061 Orbx - FTX: NA 2WA1 Diamond Point

136610 ORB-051 Orbx - FTX: NA 1S2 Darrington Municipal Airport

136951 ORB-005 Orbx - FTX: AU YSCH Coffs Harbour Airport

136951 ORB-014 Orbx - FTX: AU YCDR Caloundra Airport

136951 ORB-012 Orbx - FTX: AU YCNK Cessnock Airport

136951 ORB-010 Orbx - FTX: AU YPEC Aeropelican Airport

137655 ORB-008 Orbx - FTX: AU YWVA Warnervale Airport

137655 ORB-009 Orbx - FTX: AU YMAV Avalon Airport

137764 ORB-062 Orbx - FTX: NA 1WA6 Fall City

137923 ORB-054 Orbx - FTX: NA WA56 Israel's Farm

138101 ORB-053 Orbx - FTX: NA 3W5 Concrete Municipal Airport

138300 ORB-022 Orbx - FTX: AU YBAS Alice Springs Airport (Pre-Pay)

138300 ORB-024 Orbx - FTX: AU YMMB Moorabbin Airport (Pre-Pay)

138300 ORB-023 Orbx - FTX: AU YWOL Wollongong Airport (Pre-Pay)

138300 ORB-065 Orbx - FTX: NA 0S9 Jefferson County International (Pre-Pay)

138300 ORB-068 Orbx - FTX: NA PAKT Ketchikan International Airport (Pre-Pay)

138300 ORB-066 Orbx - FTX: NA S43 Harvey Field (Pre-Pay)

138655 ORB-069 Orbx - FTX: NA W52 Goheen Airport

138655 ORB-050 Orbx - FTX: NA 7S3 Stark's Twin Oaks

138655 ORB-055 Orbx - FTX: NA WA79 Walter Sutton's Private Strip

158269 ORB-704 Orbx - FTX: NA 2W3 Swanson Airport

168788 ORB-708 Orbx - FTX: NA KJAC Jackson Hole

168788 ORB-705 Orbx - FTX: NA CZST Stewart Airport

181789 ORB-707 Orbx - FTX: NA W16 Monroe Firstair

181789 ORB-071 Orbx - FTX: NZ North Island

184893 ORB-709 Orbx - FTX: NA OG39 Long View Ranch

184893 ORB-711 Orbx - FTX: NA KWYS West Yellowstone Airport

190782 ORB-706 Orbx - FTX: NA 77S Creswell (Hobby Field)

190782 ORB-710 Orbx - FTX: NA S45 Siletz Bay State Airport

190782 ORB-712 Orbx - FTX: EU England

195551 ORB-714 Orbx - FTX: NA KSFF Felts Field Airport

195551 ORB-713 Orbx - FTX: NA CYBD Bella Coola Airport

205401 ORB-720 Orbx - FTX: EU Wales

205401 ORB-715 Orbx - FTX: EU EGHR Chichester/Goodwood Airport

205401 ORB-718 Orbx - FTX: EU EGKA Shoreham Airport

205401 ORB-717 Orbx - FTX: EU EGSG Stapleford Airfield

205401 ORB-721 Orbx - FTX: EU EGTH Shuttleworth (Old Warden) Aerodrome

you are still missing a few :P:D;)

Quate: Walter:you are still missing a few :P :D ;)

What about you Walter??

And of course you can chek my ordernumbers.

Statementtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt:

I Henrik Scandorff Hansen, have never givedaway or be payed or copied any files from a professional FSX creator to any other than my self.

(yesterday i purcaced FS-Grass, 2£), love to se what i can do with it, !!

As i understand" John V-ORBx" was started as a freeware-project, and i think thats the reason why it isent so paranoid.

The keyword is trust, and i dont think youl be let down in Denmark.

Henrik

Quate: Walter:you are still missing a few :P :D ;)

What about you Walter??

Henrik, have a look at the date I joined the forums -> Member Since 05 Jun 2006

check your manuals for the participating Beta Testers ;)

and Yes I have all ORBX FTX Sceneries installed that are released and a few more which are still in Beta :P:D;)

Hey Walter, i am not a stupid Air-bubble 8)I know you are one of the OLD Guard (dont get me wrong). 8) But i think you have to give your ordernumber if u have some quistions. :wub:

ORBx VIP, 13,146 posts says all i ned to know.

Love you Walter

Best regards

Henrik

Just to clarify:

When a (normally new) customer arrives in the payware support section of the forums and requests payware support it is the rule of the forum that they must present a valid purchase order number, one single valid order number allows us to confirm and check a customers entire purchase record of Orbx products (as Wolter has demonstrated above), it also allows us to pick up on any persons attempting to 'borrow' another's numbers

Now in the topic being discussed, the customer asked for some payware support assistance, and after posting the support request the customer has been asked to provide an order number (politely and with much restraint) by Holger, then the topic gets marked as 'Pending' until the customer is cleared, this is a normal everyday standard procedure.

Upon doing that no fewer than 8 separate posts appeared further requesting order numbers be posted or voicing support for Orbx, understandably each of these posts had to be removed from view to keep a clean topic for the original customers sake.

So to sum up:

We DO very much appreciate your help as your voice is very important in that you are all flying with our software on a (sometimes) daily basis and as such may know some topics/issues as well or better than us, But please leave the general 'forum policing' or asking for 'proof of purchase' to the Orbx staff/developers as this is something we only do when absolutely necessary.

We do NOT wish to see new customers (regardless of the manner in which they arrive!) get attacked, prejudged or jumped on.. when seeking their first product support help

Yours in openness :)

TimH

Archived