Carenado SR22 or Real air Legacy

shaunm

Hi Shaun

My experience has been that the Legacy is quite a bit less taxing on FPS than the SR22 . That is just on my system running FSX , on my Gateway running P3D I saw no difference betwwen the two and

my FPS were fine .

Brad

Hi Shaun,

I can only comment on the Legacy: The optical & technical models are great, i miss nothing there.

The basic decision help I would like to give is the characteristic of this plane: Small, lightweight, high powered engine. That makes it a fast plane (usually I travel at 210 kts TAS), so in a 30-120 min evening ride you will cover a distance of 75-400 mls. Landing speed is 90 kts, that excludes the very small airstrips.

With the full instrumentation for ILS you nearly can use it like a small jet (it can go up to max 18000 ft, but I travel mostly under 5000).

I did not try the acrobatic behaviour, but they say it is great for sideslipping, loopings and that stuff.

BTW, no fps issues ever noticed.

They're both great planes, but I find myself turning to the Legacy for more VFR flight, the SR22 for more IFR flight (with those huge displays). The Legacy feels a lot more lively when flying. The SR22 is great if you like flight planning and instrument/systems control at a level scaled back from a PMDG-type simulation, but not as simple as the typical (non-RXP) Garmin experience in FSX. Both physical models are gorgeous; I find the Legacy flight model feels more "alive" on my system than the Carenado, but that could simply be differences between the real aircraft or FDEs in the sims rather than any superiority of the work done in the one over the other.

Hope that helps!

Steve

Shaun...this is Shaun! ( nice to see your name spelt right )

I have both...the SR 22 is a really photogenic bird...typical of Carenado...but it has issues with it's G1000's effecting frame rates...making them fluctuate dramatically...thus the experience is tainted somewhat.

The Real Air Legacy is a superb machine...it has a moderate hit on fps but is measurable & consistent...it feels alive and is a clear winner. Go for the Legacy...

I don't have the Cirrus but I do have the Legacy. The Legacy is an awesome machine, very much 'alive' as others have said. The airplane vibrates and shakes appropriately when things happen such as raising the gear, or starting the engine. Great sounds too. I find it a very stable aircraft to fly by hand too, I have flown instrument approaches in it by hand with no problems. I don't have RXP but the Legacy does come with great RXP support for both 430 and 530 units.

Cheers

TJ

Hi

I appreciate these are two great products,read up on them both but trying to decide is difficult. Just wondering what others might choose.

Cheers Shaun

Hi, Since you asked, things I like and dont. Take what you will from my twopenneth. Its just my honest personal opinion, from flying the three.

The Caranedo SR 22 sim has autothrottle linked to the engine manifold (somehow) and increases or decreases power to control speed. ??? The real model does not. Speed control is linked to pitch.

The SR 22 ( Real One) has a CAPS or Cirrus Aircraft Parachute System. The sim models this by placing you at the FSX start screen, if you hit the chute release.

The G1000 Perspective with the GFC 700 control unit is not fully implemented. But this is not a PMDG sim so its a case of you get what you pay for.

The sound is woefull. It does not sound like a 6 cylinder twin turocharged Continental! Fortunately, if you look on You Tube there is a video with a link to a download that will replace the lawnmower sound with a realistic one. ::)

The frame rates on average PC's are hit by the high quality graphics of the sim. So that leads on to what I like about it. Its beautiful to look at inside and out. The cockpit is so real you could be flying one. The Exterior graphics are pin sharp and highly reflective. Its a real looker.

The Real Air Lancair Legacy. This has super accurate flight model characteristics. They have put Accufeel 2 type sounds and vibrations in the sim.

The Legacy cockpit is high quality. Has full reality XP integration in 3d. Is almost flawless and has great customer support.

The only thing I dont like is the exterior paint on the side aspect panels. They are low resolution and the writing (Logos) are blurry. Some say this is due to the composite material not having as much reflection properties as fibreglass? Some don't even notice.....Well its so nice to fly, why would you want to gawp at it from the outside. You want to stay in the 'pit.

Real Air model rain on their Duke. They do not model rain on the Legacy? But scratches are on the bubble, which gives you that F-16 view. ;D

Now finally, my choice for the best G.A. light aircraft is the Orbx Lancair iv-p. :D

Great support. Examine the SP's?

The exterior graphics are pin sharp and the paintwork is almost 3d. From side aspect, from any aspect, its superb high definition paint. It does not hit frame rates. The paint is actually true "Candy Apple" type dapple effect and its truly a work of art. Its a thing of beauty.

Rain effect is fully modelled, not only on the windscreen glass but on the side windows as well, outstanding! I have dedicated a video to the effects on my You Tube channel.

The flight model is exquisite. Its fully pressurised, which is also simulated. The cabin heaters even work! You have a nice female co pilot ( Who else models one of these?) It has sound taken from the real model. It accepts the reality Garmin XP guages. I have done a mod which will allow you to have the XP Garmin 530 and keep the Stec autopilot and the Orbx Sandal Sn3308 HSI, without having to buy the XP "N" guage pack. Its in a post on this forum with photo's.

So my choice is the Orbx Lancair iv-p. :wub:

Best regards

David

I own both the Carenado SR-22 and the Real Air Lancair Legacy and both planes are quite fantastic additions to any virtual hanger, you really can't go wrong with either one of them. With the SR-22 the frame-rate issue can be annoying at times and even I experience the issue on my "super-clocked" i7 2600k @ over 5ghz and my 2 overclocked SLI'd GTX 580's -The frame-rates are up and down like a yo-yo. I'm planning on upgrading my video cards in the next couple weeks but I highly doubt it will make any difference as I believe it's either an issue with the coding of the Carenado SR-22, or a fundamental limitation with the now ancient version of the FSX engine that hasn't seen an update in years.

Yup, I think it's time to finally make the switch to P3D now that most of my FSX addons have been updated to work correctly with the P3D simulator.

-Jocko

Hi, Since you asked, things I like and dont. Take what you will from my twopenneth. Its just my honest personal opinion, from flying the three.

The Caranedo SR 22 sim has autothrottle linked to the engine manifold (somehow) and increases or decreases power to control speed. ??? The real model does not. Speed control is linked to pitch.

Best regards

David

David,

This is an easy fix. Go into the Aircraft.cfg and under the [autopilot] section change Autothrottle_available=1 to Autothrottle_available=0. I suspect it was an error when Carenado built the model and they just never corrected it.

Kind regards,

Gary

I haven't flown Carenado's SR22 but I would definitely recommend the Legacy, it is (from what I can tell) MUCH more frame rate friendly and detailed. The SR22 sure looks good, but at the expense of detailed avionics systems and performance. The Lancair looks good, performs well on the average computer AND has a highly detailed flight model and avionics.

David,

This is an easy fix. Go into the Aircraft.cfg and under the [autopilot] section change Autothrottle_available=1 to Autothrottle_available=0. I suspect it was an error when Carenado built the model and they just never corrected it.

Kind regards,

Gary

David,

Oops I misread your comment earlier. You are correct. The autothrottle fuction has nothing to do with changing the pitch level. Since this is a varible speed proper function, you are correct Carenado left out a big one!! ???

I don't have the Carenado SR22, but I do have their T182T which also has a glass cockpit, and in terms of frame rate it's one of the most demanding planes I've ever experienced, causing me to almost never use it. Their non-glass "HD" planes like the C337 and CT210M give me almost twice the frame rate and no stutters. I've read the SR22 has similar demands.

I'm an unusual test subject, since I have an ANCIENT, home-built PC from 6 years ago, Core2Duo 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM and WInXPSP3 (and I don't use /3GB /Userva=2560 as I don't want to choke WInXP being used for other things I do that need the RAM, too), and an Nvidia 9800GX2 1GB video card, but for example I can fly the Lancair Legacy with my usual settings (for ORBX scenery, pretty much what they recommend for this level system) around KSEA and 2S1; but I have yet to tweak things to the point of stability to run the SR22 in the same environment.

It'll run smoothly enough, but I invariably get OOMs and graphics spike rain no matter what I do.

I'm sure I could tweak things down to make it work, but it means pushing a number of things below where I'd enjoy the ORBX scenery _and_ the SR22.

So, simple fix for me now is, use FTX Central to switch to FSX Default when I want to fly the SR22 around there.

I'm sure more recent systems would do better, but from other reports here, and not even with ORBX scenery, the Carenado SR22 with PFD and MFD on remains a challenge to run optimally. And I'm not even sure it's just the PFD/MFD, as I've tried flights with both off and still get more memory issues than I'd get with other planes with more going on, systems-wise.

I just think the combination of extremely high-quality texture design inside and out, along with a lot of systems running and pushing info to the display simultaneously, is pushing the limit.

One amusing moment for me was turning the AC on in the SR22 and that causing an immediate CTD. :)

The SR22 is quite stable if it's not running in a high-intensity environment (wind, rain, clouds, big city, bright lights), but save it for the countryside if you get it, to avoid frustration.

Ironically, I'm almost tempted to get ORBX England/Wales so I can run the SR22 there.....

David,

Oops I misread your comment earlier. You are correct. The autothrottle fuction has nothing to do with changing the pitch level. Since this is a varible speed proper function, you are correct Carenado left out a big one!! ???

Hiya, it just niggles me that they produce such a beaut and spoil the ship for a ha'peth of tar! I am more used to PMDG but thats not what we have here.

No excuses.

It depends what people want. Me, I would like form and function. But do the function first then do the form.

Orbx Lancair iv-p..............Lovely! :D

Best Regards

David

It'll run smoothly enough, but I invariably get OOMs and graphics spike rain no matter what I do.

I'm sure I could tweak things down to make it work, but it means pushing a number of things below where I'd enjoy the ORBX scenery _and_ the SR22.

One amusing moment for me was turning the AC on in the SR22 and that causing an immediate CTD. :)

Hi FleetingThought,

check this out, maybe you find help with your graphics issues: http://forum.avsim.net/fsx_guide.pdf

Hi FleetingThought,

check this out, maybe you find help with your graphics issues: http://forum.avsim.net/fsx_guide.pdf

Hi Gerold,

Thanks much -- will check it out.

Update: ah yes, I'm familiar with all that. Unfortunately, on XPSP3, I think the only tweak that might matter is HIGHMEMFIX=1. :) I've tried that, with little benefit.

Oh well, at some point I'll upgrade to I7/680GTX/16GB RAM/1200 watt PS/SSDs etc. and then find a whole new raft of issues to bang my head on! (administrative rights, etc...... btw I have no issue with Windows 8 having familiarized myself with it... I just think of it as a Windows 7 update with the Start Button Team at MS having been let off the leash after 25 years! <G> .... which is all the stupid shell on top of the desktop really is, running via Flash, I think?).

Steve

Archived