Felts Field

Brian W

Was debating on what to buy this weekend for the 10% off sale. Couldn't pass up a discount on a new Orbx scenery lol!

Was really thinking about getting KWYS after seeing the pics and vids, especially of the wildfires. After looking more I decided to get Felts Field and I'm glad I did. Other than flying around in the backcountry in the shadows of mountains, Spokane is my new favorite place to fly. There is so much eyecandy to see at the airport alone without even checking out all the work done with the dams, bridges, railyards, and whatever else there is to be found. This airport has to have the most bang for your buck out of all of the NA airports and thats part of the reason I bought it - it's double the file size of Yellowstone.

Now I'm looking at 74s Anacortes too! I have to say that Jarrad's work is amazing even john called him a genius because of s74. Keep em coming!

Hi Brian, it's funny you're posting this now, I am just in the process of posting in the screenshot section some pics of my first flight around KSFF. I found this thread as I was searching for Jarrad Marshall's name so I spelt it right. I totally agree this is a spectacular airport with heaps of surrounding scenery. I am really blown away by the level of detail in the Airport buildings and features, AND I had really great performance. I didn't even check my FPS but there was no need, I had no stuttering. I was also flying in cloudy, rainy conditions with autogen set to dense, and I never do this on my system. The man, and the team are genius'. :)

Cheers,

Thanks for the kind words Brian, to be honest I felt a little embarrassed reading your post earlier this afternoon! It's always very rewarding to hear such nice comments - I know I can safely speak for all the team when I say that a lot of love goes into each of the products that we make, not to mention plenty of sweat and the odd all-nighter close to release date :) For the record, I would personally recommend West Yellowstone if you haven't already purchased this from the sale - it's one of my favourite airports to fly in to, and I really love the attention to detail that Tim and Alex put into the package.

Cheers and thanks again,

Jarrad

10% seems to work only for Australia (not for Austria)

Cheers,

Fritz

Sale is still on ends today (the 28th in Austrailia) did you enter the code at checkout? AUSSIE2013?

I know I can safely speak for all the team when I say that a lot of love goes into each of the products that we make, not to mention plenty of sweat and the odd all-nighter close to release date :)

Yeah none of the scenery here is bad by any means. I can definitely see the passion you(and the others) have for your work. When you have that passion, you'll never work a day in your life. I forget who said that but it's true. As for anyone good at what they do online or on a computer... all-nighters are when a persons best ideas and work come out it seem.

Would be interesting to see how it compares to e.g. Harvey, Anacortes or a similarly FPS-heavy field. It's in a similar, built-up area, but my FPS in general is much better in Spokane than Seattle so I'm thinking it might not be that bad.

I really would prefer Felts over Yellowstone since it's closer to the other fields, allowing for nice cross-country flights. But I don't want my flights to end in a crash because I'm running at 5 FPS..

G'day Jimmi,

I'll definitely have a little bias in this area as I developed Felts, but I think you'll find that performance here is considerably better than Anacortes or the Seattle region in general. I spent a considerable amount of time squeezing a lot of performance gains out of the airport itself, and the consensus around the forums seems to be that this is a good-performing airport (although, as Brian correctly points out, not quite as fast as Yellowstone due to the urban setting).

Cheers

Well with the weekend upon us I couldn't resist any longer :)

With everything maxed in the control panel, I get about 19 FPS looking down runway 21 towards most of the city (in any of the slightly older Carenado airplanes). This is about twice my frame rate at Anacortes with everything maxed (I have turned off pretty much every option at that field to get 12-14 FPS).

Turning a few things off increased that to about 21 FPS, but to be honest, I think I can keep everything enabled at this field. Flying around the city gives me FPS in the higher teens or lower 20's. Those might be considered very low FPS by some owners of monster PC's overclocked to nearly 5 GHz, but for me, those numbers are very good.

Archived