Thoughts on Track IR please

JimNZ

Hello fellow simmers.

I have read about Tracker IR, and sort of understand a little about it, but I've never actually set eyes on the hardware. I've never talked to anyone who uses it either. Could someone please give me their thought's on it, and confirm, or otherwise if it really was worth buying.

Regards

Jim.

Hi Jim,

I've got the Pro version (which uses active LEDs rather than the passive reflective method of the base version). I like it and I'd recommend it. It takes a little getting used because every time you move your head the screen view moves. The config system is excellent and allows you to configure to personal taste, e.g. dead zones and speed of response. It allows you to do things that are difficult with standard views, e.g. duck your head under a wing to see a runway, or look down at the ground out of the side window.

There are two common functions you need to do regularly, namely re-centre or de-activate temporarily. I have these functions programmed to switches on the yoke for quick access.

There's also free software around that lets you make something similar from a webcam at little cost. I can dig up that up if you can't find it, or I'm sure someone else here will provide a link.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Greg

I have been using it on and off with fs9 and fsx as well my  combat flight sim games. Also the Battle of Britain flight sim ,plus  some supported car racing games .I find the most advantage of the using the  tracker is being able to look over the top of the dash to lineup runways unobstucted by cockpit  window pillers, especialy when banking you can see the runway at all times.

Got one, love it, don't like flying without it.

Go and get one!

That being said the stock profiles do require a bit of tweaking and stirring to taste, and it does take a little bit to get used to. (You won't believe how much the 'ol melon wobbles about without you realising it.)  ;D

P.S. Tried a forum search about the device? There are at least 10 other threads about the TrackIR or bits and pieces about it.  ;)

I bought it and at first didn't like it, but it's grown on me.

I fly heavies and find it a bit annoying during before take-off checklists, so I turn it off and then turn it back on again once I'm in the air.

Don't let looks deceive you, it's a beautifully crafted piece of hardware and easy to set up and run.

It's probably not my favourite piece of FSX hardware, but it does add to the realism and immersion and that's gotta be a plus!

Frank

I have one, and wont fly without it.. I have 2 keys set up on my yoke for centering and pausing for when I am external to the plane, but coupled with my 24" monitor it is extremely natural to just use your head to look around. Once you have it tuned to the speed you like (so you dont feel like you are bobbling around so much) ti is probably the best peice of hardware I have purchased and more than worth its money!

The ultimate endorsement I can give towards TrackIR, is that I personally built a home cockpit, based around a total of 5 monitors, 3 x networked PCs, and tonnes of hardware. This set up obviously used 2D panels and pop-ups rather than VCs.

......and I very rarely fly in it because flying in a high quality VC, on a single PC, running FSX, on a single 22" monitor with TrackIR is actually more realistic, immersive and ultimately enjoyable.

For me, TrackIR is absolutely essential for maximum enjoyment in flight sim - I'd never fly in a VC without it. It's probably of equal importance, as FS hardware, for me, as a yoke or joystick!

David.  ;D

Hi Jim,

I've had Tracker IR for about two years and have found it very reliable and easy to use once you get used to it.  You do need to know the keys or have your Yoke set up so that you can center and turn it off (when you want to pan around without turning your head).  For approach and landings and just looking around the cockpit and the scenery out the side windows I think it is great.  I don't use it all the time but if you can afford it and are a  serious simmer I think its worth the investment.

Gary T

Track IR is very impressive and totally changes the whole simming experience, to the point where you just could'nt think of ever using a hat switch again.

It is expensive, but it pays for itself in enjoyment. Plus there are many other titles that support the system, from track racing to rally games plus nearly every combat flight sim around. 

Go for it....you wont look back!  ;D

Russ

It's a No Brainer for me, You just cant fly realistically without it, It would be great if it was cheaper,

I use it for Racing and Rally sim's and even a FPS called ARMA, I was able to look left and right and react quicker than Mouse and keyboard.

I have another PC with FSX on and no trackir and use the Hat switch, It's frustrating not having it.

Check out People Videos on Vimeo and You Tube etc etc, you will see a massive difference, but you only feel the immersion when you try it yourself.

Go on get the credit card out(I heard it's come down in price) or write to Santa you still have 64 days till Christmas lol  ;D

i got mine in time for the release of green and it's just superb. small things like looking under/over the wing to spot the runway to turn in a circuit and my fav thing is looking down through the side window, just awesome. i also just run mine with the default profile, i'm happy with that. i would recommend it to anyone mate ;)

Jim,

in addition to the Track IR Pro I would recommend you also get the Track Clip Pro.  Instead of a reflector you attach to a hat it clips onto a headset and provides active led lights that I find work better than the hat reflector, (and looks a lot better too).

Hello fellow simmers.

I have read about Tracker IR, and sort of understand a little about it, but I've never actually set eyes on the hardware. I've never talked to anyone who uses it either. Could someone please give me their thought's on it, and confirm, or otherwise if it really was worth buying.

Regards

Jim.

Does this answer your question if I like it? Get the Trackclip PRO version like everyone else have said.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would like to say, thankyou very much, to all those people who answered my Track IR question.  I am without doubt getting one very shortly, once again thanks.

Regards

Jim.

• 6 months later...

Well I got my Track IR a day or two ago. First impressions? I will have to get used to it and definitely do some tweaking to get settings I like. To me it certainly seems to be an acquired feel to use it, but I will get used to it.  I was staggered at the size of the unit. All the photos I had seen make it about 3 time larger than it really is - it is really small.

My setup took a while get sorted but (weirdly) has improved over time. Im not complaining though. :)

For people still not on the Track IR bandwagon, take a look at the following pic and try to recreate it without Track IR. Just lean forward, towards the window a bit and rotate the head a little, adjust for best viewpoint and voila, press the V button. Not saying its a great pic, just showing what can be done.

When i first first up the new Catalina, i took 2 shots. The first one was bog standard cockpit, the second was.... Yikes!!! where did that prop come from!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope you enjoy your new purchase. Takes a bit of tweaking to get just right but once you know how to work the configuration its easy.

Cheers

TreeTops.

Just in case you needed another endorsement, I too am hooked on TrackIR! Like someone else here said I was planning to build a multi-screen setup with WideView and many computers, but having tried out TrackIR it is just so much more natural and versatile that I gave up that idea. The 'ducking and craning' effects you can achieve with TrackIR add so much to the experience that I'd miss it even if I had a 360-degree screen WideView setup. Now I fly with a 3-monitor (~1m wide) TH2GO setup and it is the best compromise for me, but TrackIR adds so much to even a single 16:9 monitor that I'd say it's an essential upgrade.

A couple of specific comments. I bought the active 'TrackClip Pro' but don't use it. The hat clip is much more convenient as it's entirely passive and so doesn't need to be wired up (plus I don't use a headset). Of course it's more sensitive to being swamped in a bright environment, but just pulling the blinds works for me! Some comments here may give the impression that the calibration drifts and needs to be re-centred from time to time, but that's not my experience. I find TrackIR stays completely consistent and recentres itself correctly if it loses track of me (I turn out of range) and then re-acquires. The only real issue I have is the vertical tracking loses me if I look down to read a map, and it takes a second or so to re-acquire. This is a pain if you're doing a lot of trying to figure out where you are on the map and so swapping back and forth from map to window.

(P.S. If you get the TrackClip Pro your initial experiments with TrackIR are likely to be baffling, as the default profiles are set up for the hat clip and don't work without tweaking.)

I suppose I need to have a broad null zone using a 22" monitor as I turn my head when looking left/right at the edge of the screen? and it seems to be a bit sensitive - more fiddling!

Skypolit if you want a pre-configured profile that I have built then hit me up with a PM and I will sent it to you. I have done all the hard work on adjusting the response curves from there you can just tweak it a little if you want them. They shouldn't be too far from the mark because I have a 24" monitor so if you fly GA this might just be right for you and then you will be able to see what I did to get your foot in the door quicker to programming it.

No all you need to do is edit the profile and turn the Lineal  movement down a bit untill you have it where you like it to be, the wider you make the null in the centre the harder it is as you have to turn your head  further to get things to start happening.

Hi

Do not make your null zone too large as you have to move your head too much to get out of the null zone. As has been said go into the profiles and move the response on the x axis down for your movement. I also find it easier having a flat line in the centre zone so to speak instead of the big Vs you see in some of the profiles. This means that when you first move your head say sideways it is only a small amount and this accellerates as you move further. Much better than large null zones.

Archived