The Dream continues..

troyco

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah John.

I took the FDS shell over to the new house today. It's gonna be a little while before it's back up and going, but I have some stuff coming for my overhead which should make for some good viewing.

Watch this space,

Frank

hey Remko,

That was so funny, mate. I love the guy, what dedication.

But he's missing the point, he should be attaching the buttkickers to his seats, buying the wrap around visuals and some train simulator software.

How good would it be looking out the window and seeing the world go by, he's already got the sound system!!!!........

Hahaha....too funny.

Anyway, today I hired a ute from Bunnings and loaded up all of my shell and base and took it over to it's new home. On the second trip I loaded all of my PC's, overhead, both yokes, cdu bay, throttles and the two sidwalls. They are living there now, too.

Still got my MIP and some of the other gear to go, but most of the hardware is now over in the new place.

I got quite the workout today. Some of that stuff weighs a ton.

More info as it happens.....

Frank

So, as I been waiting for the move and all, I got a little event that's happening in the background.

I didn't have a proper APU switch in the overhead, rather just a normal on/off switch.

Posted Image

Of course, this is not the case in the real aircraft. On the 737, the APU switch has an off (in the upper part of the switch), an on (in the middle) and an on (this is a momentary switch which springs back into the on position if you let it go).

So, hunting down one of those little suckers was no mean feat.

Every cockpit builder has their own idea how this switch should work and many of the cockpit parts suppliers sell switches which are pretty close, or will do the job in a similar fashion.

Then, thanx to a bright spark at Engravity (another cockpit building seller), he put me on to the right thing.

Posted Image'

So, as you can see, this is one well built switch.

Here is a view of the top of the switch, clearly showing the two positions and then the momentary pole that springs back to the on position.

Posted Image

So, I'm now just patiently waiting for my new

CUTLER HAMMER MS24659-31K DPDT LOCKING ARM TOGGLE SWITCH , to arrive and then I'll fit it to my overhead

Until then,

Frank

I also wanted to replace one of the landing lights on my overhead, so I looked at a few alternatives.

I found a cheap set of covers for normal switches which look like real landing switches. They were cheap enough, so I bought a set of them. I was a bit cautious as this manufacturer has notoriously long waititmes for anything shipped from the UK to Oz. I found this out the hard way, when I bought from them last year.

Having said that, I thought i'd give them a second chance, so, I bought them on the 13th of December and as of today, 6 weeks later, still not sighted them.

I'm not sure who is to blame here, however, when you but gear from around the world and it arrives within weeks, and then an envelope takes six weeks plus to arrive, it's time to shop elsewhere.

I'll let my wallet do the talking and I'll go and choose a better alternative. I know I can buy a 'real' switch for about 40 to 50 bucks, so I may as well just bite the bullet.

Unhappy Frank

Yeah, mate, the Jetmax from FDS is what i would have gone with, had I not been possessed to build a full sized 'pit.

It's an incredible concept and you can still have the brilliant visuals with it, perhaps a 65" lcd for just under 2 grand.....oooh the possibilities.

Frank

The Cutler hammer switch arrived today, but I'm a little too busy with the moving at the moment to fit it, so maybe next week.

However, I can say, that it is a serious piece of hardware. So beautifully made and it will certainly outlast the sim, I'm sure.

Pics of installation, real soon,

Frank

The APU switch is now installed and I had to install a new engine (left/both/right) switch, which also went swimmingly.

I'm doing this, in between moving gear over to the house, so I was a bit on/off today, but I'll try and get a few pics of it tomorrow.

That Cutler hammer is a nice swich, can't wait to hook it up and give it a real test.

Frank

Well, we moved over to our new house earlier this week. I've been having physio on my back ever since......no joke.

The next job is to do up my drawings for my new Flight Sim room (it needs some modifications (pics to follow).

Then it's off to council and then off to Masters to buy a few doors and some carpet.

So, it seems I have my next few months mapped out for me, but the good news is that the Flight Deck room will be something to behold....if you can just hang on for a few months.

Frank

I am making progress, really...

My new computer room is up and going. I bought a new desk and am now fitting all of the flight gear to it.

My sim continues to lie around , dismantled, in the garage until I get my renovations done in the flight deck room. I hate the way all of this tuff takes so long to do.

I'm really itching to get it all re-constructed, I have some new bright ideas for the rear of the cockpit shell.

Anyway, at least I'll have my training gear up and running in the next few days, I haven't had an orbx flight in over a fortnight and I'm long past the headaches and the shakes.....brrr, cold turkey!

Frank

My office is slowly taking shape again.

I threw out my old desk when I moved and I've bought a whole new one.

As well, I've now converted over to two 32" high def TV's and a third 27" monitor.

Here are some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, it's FSX heaven flying around with these beautiful screens.

I still have some tidying up to do with cables and such, but I'm hoping to get some time working on the cockpit next week.

Will have some pics then, too.

Frank

Great set up. I have unfortunately a "fatal error mess" and can't launch FSX. First time ever. Ugggh. But I would like to set up 2 screens as well if I ever can fix this prob. I am not too swift with pc's. Good for you though Frank and looking fwd to your cockpit. Thanks for the update.

Bob,

try saving your old fsx.cfg file to a folder and let FSX rebuild a new one. You will need to go in and set things up again, but it fixes a lot of crashes, that's for sure.

I did it myself today, actually. I bought the FS2Crew NGX Emegency, but after installing, it kept crashing my FSX. I deleted out my config file and got in there to start up and sorted out a few problems.

It's working like a bought one now and now my NGX keeps blowing engines in mid air, catastophic failures, explosive decompressions, the list goes on.......I'm beginning to feel like Denzel Washington....hahaha!

Who would have ever thought the sound of a warning bell, in mid air, could be so entertaining!

Now, I gotta get back to it. I have a bird at 34,000 feet from Cairns to Brisbane and I feel a little decompression coming on.....if you get my drift.

Frank

Ok, so I been waiting for the settlement to roll around on my house, so I can start building my Sim room.

Anyway, I have been doing a few little jobs on the overhead. I'm trying to replace one of the landing light switches, but they are real ones and it ain't easy finding a replacement.

I've finished installing the cutler hammer APU switch and just when I was starting to get happy about the overhead, I see on another builders forum, a smart guy from O/S is building 737 starter switches.

I've already purchased the opencockpit starter switches, but these babies are close to the real deal.

So, I've bought a set (they aren't cheap, but extremely well made and they work just like the original).

Shipping could be a few weeks, but that's good, should be starting the sim room by then.

More to come....

Frank

Ok, so I been waiting for the settlement to roll around on my house, so I can start building my Sim room.

Anyway, I have been doing a few little jobs on the overhead. I'm trying to replace one of the landing light switches, but they are real ones and it ain't easy finding a replacement.

I've finished installing the cutler hammer APU switch and just when I was starting to get happy about the overhead, I see on another builders forum, a smart guy from O/S is building 737 starter switches.

I've already purchased the opencockpit starter switches, but these babies are close to the real deal.

So, I've bought a set (they aren't cheap, but extremely well made and they work just like the original).

Shipping could be a few weeks, but that's good, should be starting the sim room by then.

More to come....

Frank

thanks for the update mate,hope all is well looking forward to seeing your project updates,im also will be moving house as soon as mine sells into a bigger house,lots to do and lots of packing too do :)

I don't envy you, timmo.

It nearly killed me to pull apart the sim and to see it all sitting in my garage, just waiting for it's new home, brings a tear to my eye......well, sort of.

But seriously, that moving is for the birds. I'm quite happy here and don't want to move now for a long while.

Take a tip from me, mate. Get somebody else to move you and clean your old house.

The physio costs alone are worth it......which reminds me, I'm late for physio!

Gotta run, mate

Frank

Thanx John.

I'm learning in earnest at the moment. Studying and getting up to speed for my cockpit flights.

Tons of prep and nearly everything gets tested and approved on this workstation before ending up on the cockpit computers.

My best resource is the wonderful AOA training. Now that they are into flight work, I don't think there is a better (non real world) CBT on the planet. I have been involved with CBT and the manufacture of it way back in the dark ages.

My cockpit adventures will be predominantly short haul flights around Australia, hence the name OzSim 738. I have all of the correct charts and airway charts for all of my routes and have them stored via dropbox on the ipad, another valuable cockpit resource.

Flight planning is also an essential tool and like so many other would be virtual pilots, I'm hanging out for a new program called PFPX. It's a tool that encompasses all of the planning and design of fuel and chart preparation and final load sheet and dispatch paperwork.

When I get this thing in the air, I wanna carry out prepared, procedural flights based on actual airline principles. That way, all of my invited FO's will get a chance to learn about some of the best software available for flight simulation and also be able to share the enormous fun and experience of professional simulation.

Couple that with the best visuals from ORBX and I think I'll have a winner.

That's the big plan, anyway,

Frank

Breaking news - this just in....

Traffic in the vicinity of YCAB ground to a halt today as thousands of people dressed in First Officer's uniforms blocked the streets near the home of one Frank Tennyson :)

Glad to see you back on board with this project Frank, sounds like it's even better than it was before your move.

Cheers

Jack

Thanx John.

I'm learning in earnest at the moment. Studying and getting up to speed for my cockpit flights.

Tons of prep and nearly everything gets tested and approved on this workstation before ending up on the cockpit computers.

My best resource is the wonderful AOA training. Now that they are into flight work, I don't think there is a better (non real world) CBT on the planet. I have been involved with CBT and the manufacture of it way back in the dark ages.

My cockpit adventures will be predominantly short haul flights around Australia, hence the name OzSim 738. I have all of the correct charts and airway charts for all of my routes and have them stored via dropbox on the ipad, another valuable cockpit resource.

Flight planning is also an essential tool and like so many other would be virtual pilots, I'm hanging out for a new program called PFPX. It's a tool that encompasses all of the planning and design of fuel and chart preparation and final load sheet and dispatch paperwork.

When I get this thing in the air, I wanna carry out prepared, procedural flights based on actual airline principles. That way, all of my invited FO's will get a chance to learn about some of the best software available for flight simulation and also be able to share the enormous fun and experience of professional simulation.

Couple that with the best visuals from ORBX and I think I'll have a winner.

That's the big plan, anyway,

Frank

You'll certainly have a winner here Frank!

With this sim and - as You have also pointed out - the 737 AOA training, the upcomming PFPX and ORBX on board there is nothing to go wrong anymore!

Congratulations on all Your progress!

And all the very best to Your back and Your physio!

Cheers, Christoph

Thanx Guys.

I was up till 4.00am this morning, converting charts for dropbox.

I also did a fair bit of training last nite as well.

I was looking forward to a new perspective on various procedures on the 738 and that's what I got last nite. I think you tend to get into bad habits and skip bits and fill in for things you really don't know.

The CBT stuff allows you to see it all from a different perspective and to control and rectify certain anomolies in previous training or self taught tuition.

There is nothing better for an old retired fart like me, than getting back at the pointy end of some cutting edge technology. It is just all too easy to let things slide and become a couch potato and drift into 'Days of our lives'........not that there is anything wrong with 'Days of our lives', hmm, hmm.

Anyway, it's great to get the old muscle between the ears exercising and getting used to soaking up the info again.

More soon, my friends.....

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems like an eternity since I wrote something here.

I had been waiting on some new 737 startswitches to arrive from Sweden and they arrived today.

I quickly got to it and unpacked and started the installation process, as I had to go out today as well (to the gym, ho hum).

I got them installed and then finished them when I got back home.

Did a quick review and posted it on youtube tonight. If you're interested, here it is:

I still have a little to do on it yet, including hooking them up to test and make sure they work correctly. Then I can put the OH aside until I get my shell back together again.

On another note, I have been searching for a second 737 yoke, to match my ACE yoke. They are pretty thin on the ground and I've been looking for a while now.

What I do have is a second yoke (PFC SAAB), which is in excellent condition and done very few hours of work.

So, enjoying a challenge, I'm gonna convert the SAAB yoke over to the 737.

I've stripped the covers off it and have a plan. I'm doing up a few drawings and then I'll start buying the materials. At this stage, I think I can convert it for less than 500 bucks. That's about 1/4 of the price of a new one, so I will be happy about that.

I'll take some pics in the next few days and show the progress.

And, on a final note, my sim room will be under construction before the month is out. I have all of the quotes and am just about to submit plans to the building inspector. Hopefully, I can have that under construction before the month is out.

That's all for now, more coming......

Frank

Right, finished installing the start switches. Can't do any more to them until I get the shell back together.

Now, back to the yoke conversion.

Here's a pic of the ACE yoke that I have. It's a Captain side yoke.

Posted Image

So, I've taken off the head of the PFC Saab yoke:

Posted Image

And removed the top and front panel of the PFC yoke:

Posted Image

I need to replace the square box panels with a cylindrical shaft and attach the current head set-up to it. It will require some clever manipulation.

Posted Image

When I've done that I can install the new 737 yoke head (FO's side) that is available from Opencockpits. Once it is installed, the wiring loom can be re-installed and the trim switches, a/t disconnect switch and mic switch as well.

Posted Image

Oooh, I just love a good challenge!

Frank

I was wondering,that if you purcased all the tools, to make the instrument yourself, you coult spare some $$, and you could get exatly waht you want and of course make 10 or 20 or many more, of

the kind, i mean as far i understand, you like to do these things and therefore i think you could benefit and ofcourse (as you doo) share these things with other simmers.

Personely i make my own furnitures, if i cant get want, i like/ or can affort or IKEA dosent fitt.

Henrik

I can see where you are coming from Henrik and I understand the thought process, but that isn't going to happen.

I've just bought a house and need to do some expensive modifications (like building a room to house my cockpit) that needs money allocated to it.

On top of that, I have many more project to go before I complete the cockpit, so taking into account the house, I need to allocate what funds I have, to those two things, priority wise.

And lastly, whilst I understand people's enthusiasm about simming, the thought of dealing with customers, would do my head in. I ran a successful IT Company for many years, so I've done my time dealing with the public. I thoroughly enjoy retirement, especially the lack of stress. It's why I spring out of bed every morning, looking forward to a new day.

There are a lot of really intelligent, young entrepeneurial types around like the guy I bought the starter switches from, Anders Helin, from Sweden. I like to support them and give them my support and feedback, when I can, so I'm doing something for the simming community.

Frank

Henrik,

Whilst it may appear that way, and I will admit I love using my hands and devsisng ways of producing the products I need to make this happen, it is most definately the end result that I desire most.

I sit here at my desk night after night creating flight plans and charts that I will use in the cockpit. I fly the PMDG NGX nearly every night and relish the day that I can again push those throttles forward for take-off.

Having had the cockpit to an operational stage where I could conduct several flights a while back, (before I had to pull it all apart for the move) it is the operational aspects of flying the 737 that I love most.

The thing is, I have made a conscious choice to make the move and set my cockpit up in a more professional manner (with the 3 projectors and curved screen visuals) and in it's own full sized room.

The best I could have hoped for before was a small garage with a concrete floor and subject to the elements (cold and the heat in summer).

I am quite happy to put a lid on my enthusiasm whilst I make the changes in my new house to accomodate the sim (and be thankful that the MOF affords me that privilege), as I have a vision as to the finished article.

Besides the building along the way, helps pass the time and prepares the final product to a level I'll be satisfied with,

Frank

Archived