Orbx wins AVSIM's Gold Star Award for YMML!

John Venema

YMML is indeed a masterpiece which breaks new ground in FSX. I bought it on day one and are still amazed by it. As far as framerates go, I see little difference between FSX native and poly mode with a 8800 ultra. The only major framerate hit for me is when I look towards the terminal buildings but still very playable. Can't wait for the update that addresses this. Again, congrats to the ORBX team you all deserve it. ( but hey, we are the converted ! )

You are no 1 and thanks for the great work. 

But Angelique of Avsim has my problem - a superb airport and not enough FPS.  You did mention to her that there is an SP1 or a hotfix on the way.  Is that the case?

Hey Ian,

I was and I'm still aware of the "on the way" SP1, but it's also known that this FTX airport product goes much further towards the reality then others.

In other words, a 1st generation PC will probably have much more problems - read FPS - then when you own a 2nd generation with Quad Core 3.0Ghz or above, 1Gb graphic adapter(s) including the use of DDR3 memory etc.

My point is Ian, I still think is a suburb airport with an unbelievable extreem high quality, but it was tested in combinaton with/on my PC (see specs in review) and this resulted in a reduction of FPS. High quality textures versus lower FPS versus 1st generation PC! Not strange to me after writing so many other reviews.

I hope this gives an answer to your question.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

We feel the review was fair and balanced and we also don't shy away from the fact that YMML needs a PC with grunt to run well. We've stated that from the start, well before it was released. We also have said on a few occasions now that SP1 is not going to be a magic performance cure. It will mainly focus on texture consolidation, crosswind runway support, tighter parking bay coding and the implementation of a native FSX gmax mode so you will have weather and other effects on the gmax poly. Anyone expecting a 10FPS jump from SP1 will be disappointed ;)

But Angelique of Avsim has my problem - a superb airport and not enough FPS. 

The other great thing that i am hugely greatful fo Angelique for pointing out is the fact that we have tried to make it a very configurable scenery so those with FPS issues can tune to their system. This approach will be further refined in the SP1 with redistributed scenery density levels but we are adding more content too but this will again add more FPS issues if you try to run it at extreme density levels with a 1st Gen system.

With one click you will be able to disable all landside scenery, or you can keep some and remove others. to find the balance you desire in terms of detail vs performance. But the reality will be the more grunt you have the better the experience. Think or how many programs you have brought that you dont use any more because your new system doesnt give you anything new. YMML will be the airport that just keeps giving  ;D

Archived