NZNI: Auckland Intl Up Close

well everything in this north NZI is awesome buy i don't like that airport just does not look good the runway and taxiway i don't realy like can be much better i think.

It's a standard FSX APX runway and taxiway. Including a custom ground poly for a 'default enhanced' airport would be way above and beyond the coverage of a region. That's what goes into a high resolution addon airport

To be honest(and im not complaining) its not the greatest airport ive seen orbx do. The taxiways,runway look great. But the actual airport buildings could be better. This is why I was asking if NZAA would be fully developed. I guess im to used to flying into ybbn, klax etc which have all been developed fully. But nonetheless, looking forward to the release. :)

But as mentioned above, everything else looks splendid! Great job guys. :)

To be honest(and im not complaining) its not the greatest airport ive seen orbx do. The taxiways,runway look great. But the actual airport buildings could be better. This is why I was asking if NZAA would be fully developed. I guess im to used to flying into ybbn, klax etc which have all been developed fully. But nonetheless, looking forward to the release. :)

Remember, it isn't a high resolution airport sold separately from NZNI. It's included in the base package and the focus of the package isn't NZAA, but the entirety of the North Island. It's there to fill out the package, if you compare it to large international airports in other regions (Seattle, Portland, default YSSY, default YMML), Eddy has gone way above and beyond.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion on it, but it seems like some people are comparing a 'default-enhanced' airport to a hi-res addon :)

Remember, it isn't a high resolution airport sold separately from NZNI. It's included in the base package and the focus of the package isn't NZAA, but the entirety of the North Island. It's there to fill out the package, if you compare it to large international airports in other regions (Seattle, Portland, default YSSY, default YMML), Eddy has gone way above and beyond.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion on it, but it seems like some people are comparing a 'default-enhanced' airport to a hi-res addon :)

Yea that is exactly what I was doing. So used to flying into high res airports now. Anything else seems like a disappointment. Totally appreciate the work done on it though. Certainly better than the default. If ORBX wont develop it fully, I hope some other developer will.

Thanks guys!

I've included separate files for the GSE objects (airport vehicles) and the ground markings so you can manually disable any of them to save some FPS/performance etc.

I've always wanted a fully developed NZAA for FSX. Maybe one day.... ^_^

Thanks guys!

I've included separate files for the GSE objects (airport vehicles) and the ground markings so you can manually disable any of them to save some FPS/performance etc.

I've always wanted a fully developed NZAA for FSX. Maybe one day.... ^_^

Oh man! In YBBN style! Drooooool!

Looking great guys...!

Just a note: If there is a RWY 23L, there should be a 23R, right? I just assume the 23R texture markings are not finished yet...

Happy flying!

Andreu

There used to be. But that was converted into a taxiway. So as it is now in nzni is how it is in real life.

Hi Cameron, and others

NZNI is an FTX regionpack, the same as BLUE, GOLD, NZSI, NRM and so on, we focus mostly on authentic custom mesh, ground textures, landclass, autogen, roads, rail, shorelines, water-bodies, it is after all the reason we are here: creating landscapes

And recently due to the much higher mesh resolution we have started 'adjusting' the default airports simply to avoid them becoming stranded on plateaus, i.e: in the North American regions there is an airport almost every kilometer or two in every direction, having this many airports 'looking bad' within our regionpack detracts from the qualities our product too much, hence the 'enhancing' process

This enhancement process is very low-tech, mainly using objects from our global libraries, and only using the default runways/aprons, the focus is on integration into the region pack (by way of smoothing flattens and airport altitude adjustments) rather than the airport itself, so in other words how it will be is how it will be

Eddy's done a fantastic job on Auckland airport, more than has been done before to a default airport (probably because he's biased..being a local!), before making any more requests//suggestions I suggest a quick look at the Portland/Seattle/Vancouver/Sydney/Christchurch default INTL airports within our regions for an idea of what is considered the 'standard'

Cheers

Tim

Looks stock

And your point?

Hi Cameron, and others

NZNI is an FTX regionpack, the same as BLUE, GOLD, NZSI, NRM and so on, we focus mostly on authentic custom mesh, ground textures, landclass, autogen, roads, rail, shorelines, water-bodies, it is after all the reason we are here: creating landscapes

And recently due to the much higher mesh resolution we have started 'adjusting' the default airports simply to avoid them becoming stranded on plateaus, i.e: in the North American regions there is an airport almost every kilometer or two in every direction, having this many airports 'looking bad' within our regionpack detracts from the qualities our product too much, hence the 'enhancing' process

This enhancement process is very low-tech, mainly using objects from our global libraries, and only using the default runways/aprons, the focus is on integration into the region pack (by way of smoothing flattens and airport altitude adjustments) rather than the airport itself, so in other words how it will be is how it will be

Eddy's done a fantastic job on Auckland airport, more than has been done before to a default airport (probably because he's biased..being a local!), before making any more requests//suggestions I suggest a quick look at the Portland/Seattle/Vancouver/Sydney/Christchurch default INTL airports within our regions for an idea of what is considered the 'standard'

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

I understand completely. :)

There used to be. But that was converted into a taxiway. So as it is now in nzni is how it is in real life.

And before it was a runway, it was a taxiway.

Taxiway alpha was strengthened and widened in about the mid 90s (if my memory serves me right) and then opened as Rwy23R/05L to allow the then Rwy 23/05 to be ripped up, strengthened, widened.

This caused a few issues because there was no ILS on the temporary runway and because of its proximity to taxiway bravo and the terminal buildings, restrictions were placed on wide bodies landing and taxiing at the same time to ensure adequate wing tip clearances and safety margins.

When the work had finished, Rwy 23L/05R was reopened and the temporary runway was closed by NOTAM and although the runway markings were left, big Xs were painted at each end to indicate the runway was closed and large stands of lights in a cross were also erected.

In March 2006, Rwy 23R/05L was reactivated to allow taxiway widening and new runway lighting to be installed. Again, this caused delays because of the wide bodied wingtip clearance issues.

In 2007, construction began on a site about 500m north of the terminal on a whole new Runway 23R/05L specifically being designed for smaller commuter type aircraft (B1900, Dash 8, ATR aircraft etc.) to allow for an increase in jet traffic on the existing runway. Work ceased on this construction about 9 months into the project at the height of the fuel price crisis and the downturn in the NZ economy.

About 2 years ago, R23R/05L was officially removed as a runway and restored as Taxiway Alpha, although it took well over a year to remove the runway markings.

The existing runway has kept its left and right designators in the vain hope that construction will recommence on the new runway one day and this new runway will take the Rwy 23R/05L designators.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

well everything in this north NZI is awesome buy i don't like that airport just does not look good the runway and taxiway i don't realy like can be much better i think.

Hard luck. I'm more than happy with what I see having flown, virtually of course, into the default MS version. Looking forward to it and Wellington too.

I don't understand the complaints, because this is one of the best "stock upgrades" I've seen. Some must have been confused and thought this was an in depth airport package not realizing it's the airport that comes with all of NZNI. :::shrugs:::

Thanks for the previews. I have to get to transferring my FSX installation to a new HD, so I have room for this when it's released. My current FSX HD is almost full, no thanks to you guys! ;) It's a great problem to have.

Agree with Sundog and chumley, it looks all there to me, and its great to see my hometown airport done in this quality.

With the photoreal manukau harbor blended in its very convincing- above and beyond the call!

i think Orbx has done a wonderful job with auckland airport,hats off to all involved,i fly there every weekend(fsx default version)and ive seen lots of changes to this airport,for this to be part of the nzni package i think Orbx delvelopers are amazing,so thanks gents :)

I live in Auckland and spend lots of time at NZAA and have also flown in and out of it in the real world too many times to count. Eddy has done an incredible job with this enhancement and he's certainly captured the look of the airport as it is today, particularly the mish mash look of the taxiways. While it would be awesome to get a full ORBX stand alone version done, what I've seen here makes me wonder if its needed.

Great work guys.

I can't speak too much about realism and criticize since I've never been to this airport in real life yet, but in my opinion it looks good enough for me. ;) Thanks Eddy for sharing these shots with us, and looking forward to flying NZNI to then make my final opinions. NZSI is just special, and this NZNI release looks to be a seamless transition.

I live in Auckland and spend lots of time at NZAA and have also flown in and out of it in the real world too many times to count. Eddy has done an incredible job with this enhancement and he's certainly captured the look of the airport as it is today, particularly the mish mash look of the taxiways. While it would be awesome to get a full ORBX stand alone version done, what I've seen here makes me wonder if its needed.

Great work guys.

I spend my whole working day at NZAA and it will sure do me!

Excellent job Eddy

As an enhanced airport included with NZNI this looks awesome. Thanks Eddy, you've done a great job.

The "aliasing" or jagged effect at the rounded corners or the runway/taxiways looks very realistic according to the Google satellite image which will make it an interesting airport to fly into.

One of the flights I have planned, when I get NZNI, is from Auckland to New Plymouth which is the real-life flight I do when I visit my home country/town :).

Archived