Motion Simming for FSX at home?

Bandit

It can be done for less. Just need to build a platform, a ball joint and two 12 volt hydaulic suspension or air suspension that are typically used by the Chicano's on their low-rider cars.

You can find this equipment all over the internet new and used. it is not as expensive as you think. It would just take time to build it yourself and program it, but can be done.

Cheers

You CAN do exactly what is depicted in this Video for less than $2K IF your VERY careful,

Don't believe me then go have a look at X Sim forum relating to Racing and Flight (Runs Instrumentation too).

CKAS are marketing just the Platform and Electronics driven by X-Sim software.

IMHO MDF isn't really suitable long term because there is too much flex and potential for a range of issues related but they seem to have it sorted. Alloy is the way to go I should think, for two reasons the biggest is of course durability and lightness.

I have worked closely with the software mentioned in the process of designing some low cost Race Sim platforms and hardware and will later look at flight hardware too Yokes, Pedals etc, sorry I cannot say more at this time.

With a couple of actuators "search the NET" , the open source software from xSim and a bit of basic electronics you too could have something similar to this for far less than indicated, and doing it in your own time custom make it for a particular Aircraft too. I have seen a completely enclosed unit in 6DOF home built for less than 15K and 8 DOF for less than $20K

This CKAS unit is only 2, you can achieve Pitch Roll and Heave with just 3 actuators and Yaw with a forth, and if you had a mind to Lateral and Longitudinal movement with another 2 but still in a very low profile package as shown above.

Mind you if I spent that money I think I could find myself flying out the door courtesy of a boot :P

I'd never get it past the Chief Minister of War and Finances first though

not worth it - the bank angle of the platform didn't match the bank angle of the turn in the sim..

Does it have to match the bank angle? I don't think so!

The bank of the platform is only conducted to simulate the force that "pulls you of the seat". If you fly a perfectly coordinated turn then there is (almost) no force that pulls you aside. So why should there be an identical bank angle?

ok.. I'm not a real pilot but if I were in a C172 and I banked the plane at a 30 degree angle.. the whole plane turns 30 degrees, yes? if I'm in that plane I would be banking with that angle.yes? or am I missing something here?

ok.. I'm not a real pilot but if I were in a C172 and I banked the plane at a 30 degree angle.. the whole plane turns 30 degrees, yes? if I'm in that plane I would be banking with that angle.yes? or am I missing something here?

I think you're missing a couple of things. Firstly, in a 30-degree coordinated turn (or in a well-executed barrel roll) you would not feel the bank at all. You may feel some lateral forces on entry to the turn, although again with perfect coordination you shouldn't. In a higher-rate turn you'd likely feel some increased G-force, but again you shouldn't experience it as bank. The second point I'd make is that a motion platform doesn't need to mimic real-world forces completely to add realism, it just needs to give cues. Bumping and buffeting are a good start, lateral effects to cue turn entry and exit will also add realism, and likewise pitching forwards and backwards to cue accelerations (not to simulate pitch angle). Then I'd add lateral cues to simulate uncoordinated flight. Actual pitch and bank angles are largely irrelevant.

There is an exercise in the PPL curriculum where you have to close your eyes and describe what you think the aircraft is doing as the instructor throws it around. The point is you invariably get it wrong and so you need to to learn not to pay too much attention to what your body is telling you.

I agree with Mark:

What you see (e.g. the bank angle) is displayed by the software over the monitors.

What you feel is "displayed" over the platform.

And you often feel nothing although the plane is flying e.g. a curve (and the other way around...). So often you don't have to simulate any "feelings" (which are all physically "acceleration") although the plane is doing something.

"if I'm in that plane I would be banking with that angle. Yes?"

Yes you would be in that angle with your plane and would see this out of the windows but you would only feel it if it was an uncoordinated turn. So as long as the ball is centered there are no "feelings" that require banking of the platform.

I think the highest increase in realism comes from the small movements of the platform simulating winds that "hit" the plane, small bumps in the air or the feeling to "touch" the ground when landing as well as the acceleration on the start and the breaking while you land.

• 1 month later...

Couple of questions on Motion Platforms & 2DOF

Hi folks,

In watching the CKAS video, it appears that you really get a lot of motion with 2 DOF. Enough for realism in FSX - Of course, I know yaw etc. would require additional DOF.??? Seems like you would achieve a "combination" of pitch and roll if you were banking and climbing. Am I correct?

Secondly, with a 2DOF, IF you were in turbulence, would you feel that in the motion platform ? and in landing, would you feel the touchdown?

These motion platforms highly interest me and I think I have enough mechanical expertise to build one.

Thanks for your thoughts and have a blessed day.

cthiggin

• 2 weeks later...

For not a lot you can easily achieve 3 DOF ie Pitch Roll and Heave which would give pretty much all we could expect in a home sim situation.

True 6DOF would take a number of PC's to run and a huge amount of space for the home Simmer.

Go search youtube for Flight Sim Projects involving X-Sim . I think some pretty good immersion could be had with "Arduino" controller cards and X-Sim.

Hi folks,

After many hours of researching, I am going to build a 3dof, "similar" to the CKAS Thruxim.....have drawings and specs under way.

I have calculated, excluding time, I can come in at around 1900.00 usd.

The "biggie" is getting a controller setup, and being able to "tweak" it so you can replicate the motion you see on screen w/ platform -

I will have about +- 18 degrees - in pitch/roll & heave a +- 10" - Going to use the Arduino cards...........

Again, in it's infancy, but I'm hell-bent on doing this.

Have a blessed one.

cthiggin

PS - The project "cap" was put on HERE, after reading this thread and watching the CKAS vid.

• 2 months later...

How is the build going? I could potentially be interested in building a 2DOF, just need some plans, and someone who has done it before, because I have no experience with mechanical engineering.

The CKAS 2DOF retails now for ~ 5000.00 AUD.

I would get one of these:-

http://www.redbirdfl...ations.com/mcx/

Let us know how you get on .... :ph34r:

MCX Base Price: $89,900

Base Price Includes:

• One cockpit configuration of your choice
  • Five Redbird pilot keys
  • 1 year warranty (parts and labor)
  • MCX/cl model includes a premium DUAL CONTROL yoke with 2-axis control loading and DUAL RUDDERS.

you know, for what it's worth, for airliners simulator motion is in fact over-rated. It is predominantly sensation only and not representative of the accelerations experienced in real flight. Most simulator development time of airliners is performed in non-motion simulators. Although there are continual improvements in the simulator representation these days for training they are essentially procedural, many test pilots (I agree they are not your average pilots) will tell you they get the wrong messages and contradictory feedback.

but don't get me wrong if I had the cash to throw at something like that I woudn't think twice.

1. you know, for what it's worth, for airliners simulator motion is in fact over-rated. It is predominantly sensation only and not representative of the accelerations experienced in real flight.

2. Most simulator development time of airliners is performed in non-motion simulators.

3. Although there are continual improvements in the simulator representation these days for training they are essentially procedural, many test pilots (I agree they are not your average pilots) will tell you they get the wrong messages and contradictory feedback.

1. Overrated? What kind of 'sensation' would you expect if not e.g .acceleration and deceleration ??

2. That's new to me.

3. I received no flight training before doing revenue flights with the real 767, we trained 'only' in the sim and I severely doubt that this would have been possible if the sim would give 'wrong messages' and 'contradictory feedback'.

1. Overrated? What kind of 'sensation' would you expect if not e.g .acceleration and deceleration ??

spurious sensations

2. That's new to me.

you learn something new everyday

3. I received no flight training before doing revenue flights with the real 767, we trained 'only' in the sim and I severely doubt that this would have been possible if the sim would give 'wrong messages' and 'contradictory feedback'.

it's more cost effective that way and they never told you because it wasn't important to know

The CKAS Platform is "doable"...I have most of the parts, motors, gearheads, universal joint etc. I know I can and will build a very good motion simulator for under 2000. I've spent probably over a hundred hours researching and sourcing

reasonable parts. I'll start welding the frame in January. This will be about a 3 months project, on weekends. Looking at a simulator, one just can't visualize how it can be justifible - but - once you're on one, it really changes as the motion

becomes and makes your senses think in reality. - All IMHO.

Have a blessed day.

cthiggin

Archived