Head to North Plains for some soaring

John Lovell

Continuing on what has turned out to be quite an epic journey, it's time for some recreational fun! I have left the Bird Dog in the maintenance hangar at Starks and borrowed a trusty old Cesena to take me on a short hope to North Plains air strip.... to try my hands on some gliding!

Trying to make it out of here before night falls, otherwise will be difficult to see the landing strip at night!.... departing Starks

Posted Image

Making a turn to the east, North Plains isn’t too far a journey, but still gotta get a move on before the sun goes down

Posted Image

Keeping her at just above 2000 ft, some good visibility.. a little hazy but ok

Posted Image

North Plains just to the left, need to make the turn soon

Posted Image

On finals and just enough visibility to make it down safe

Posted Image

Not many people about, the gliding club have all mostly gone home

Posted Image

Will take this glider up tomorrow

Posted Image

That's enough for today, gonna get some ZZZZzzzs and wait til the morning to get in the air again

9am and weather looks good!.. Should be a few nice thermals to catch from such a warm and dry evening

Posted Image

Tow plane taking me up

Posted Image

Head for the mountains where there maybe some ridge lift

Posted Image

Need some more altitude to gain some advantage

Posted Image

That should do it, see ya around!

Posted Image

Fry me a kipper, I’ll be home for breakfast!

Posted Image

Head for the hills

Posted Image

That is some wing span!... really catching the lift here!

Posted Image

Looking slightly threatening with that cloud, but I think I’ll find some ridge lift in those hills

Posted Image

Not trying to wander too far off, just making a pass over North Plains airstrip

Posted Image

Coming down just slightly, but this bird really wants to stay in the air

Posted Image

Coming back down just over the town and on approach

Posted Image

Easy does it

Posted Image

Gonna enjoy that Kipper for breakfast now. Gonna stick around here for a while and make my way back to Starks in the afternoon. Will reclaim the Bird Dog from there and head further east along the Hood river

What a great story John and superb screenies. I too love gliding and have only just got back into it. Tell me though, do you have Cumulus X?? If not and you are at all interested in gliding then it is a MUST HAVE http://www.luerkens....nline.de/peter/

Looks really interesting. I must admit, I really enjoyed gliding, especially with the A2A acufeel pack, to hear the creeks and wind really made the whole experience more enjoyable. I would certainly like to get into gliding more, but my problem is keeping it up! pardon the pun :D:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::P

So this Cumulus X looks really promising!

Gonna have a read up on it... but is it a stand alone weather engine for fsx?... Cos I do like me open clouds :)

Thanks Howard

Looks really interesting. I must admit, I really enjoyed gliding, especially with the A2A acufeel pack, to hear the creeks and wind really made the whole experience more enjoyable. I would certainly like to get into gliding more, but my problem is keeping it up! pardon the pun :D:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::P

So this Cumulus X looks really promising!

Gonna have a read up on it... but is it a stand alone weather engine for fsx?... Cos I do like me open clouds :)

Thanks Howard

I tried to PM you John but with little success...

Cumulus X, yes, it is a stand alone program and integrates with third party weather engines such as Rex and Open Cloud(?) It creates thermals and ridge lift which replicates the current weather pattern and direction of the sun. It is a free addon (think it still is) creates it's own module folder in FSX and starts when FSX is started. You must get it John, it will completely change the way you fly gliders, after all, gliding is about using thermals and ridge lift. If you need any further help just PM me, cheers, Howard

BTW, the only thing to remember is not to run it unless gliding as I have found it can cause a few stutters in certain scenarios if not gliding.

I tried to PM you John but with little success...

Cumulus X, yes, it is a stand alone program and integrates with third party weather engines such as Rex and Open Cloud(?) It creates thermals and ridge lift which replicates the current weather pattern and direction of the sun. It is a free addon (think it still is) creates it's own module folder in FSX and starts when FSX is started. You must get it John, it will completely change the way you fly gliders, after all, gliding is about using thermals and ridge lift. If you need any further help just PM me, cheers, Howard

BTW, the only thing to remember is not to run it unless gliding as I have found it can cause a few stutters in certain scenarios if not gliding.

Thank you Howard that is most useful. I will for sure try this amazing piece of software, from what I have read up on, looks like a really nice piece of kit to have for gliding. I really look forward to giving this a go and experience what it must almost be like to soar!

Cheers for th heads up, well appreciated.

Ps, I had to clear out some messages from my inbox, I maxed it out.. but all ok now ;)

I was just getting ready to post some North Plains shots, yours are better.

lol , the competition is over Dave .

Have done a very small amount of gliding - its quite fun . I went flying GA and sometimes found myself rising 600 ft/min - Cumulous X works ! . Some of us requested something from REX for something similar , maybe Essentials might deliver.

lol , the competition is over Dave .

Have done a very small amount of gliding - its quite fun . I went flying GA and sometimes found myself rising 600 ft/min - Cumulous X works ! . Some of us requested something from REX for something similar , maybe Essentials might deliver.

Wouldnt it be great if we could organise an online gliding race or something.. Darrington to Starks :)

Wouldnt it be great if we could organise an online gliding race or something.. Darrington to Starks :)

Wonderful pictures John and indeed: That race is a fabulous idea - just imagining all kind of glider-racing teams around PNW now with all it takes... especially some wonderful ladies at possible pit stops in between! ;) ... well: I better focus on flying again :D !

But - said again:

Super pictures - and if a race should really take place, I will certainly join in that fun!

Archived