I thought I'd die there...

McCallaway

In the foothills of the Olympic mountains, lies a small private field : Olympic Field. A simple grass strip cut through the forest, and, it seems, also a water runway.

Great, I'll test that in my Piper J3 with floats !

First landmark, the wet beach where Discovery Bay ends, and Olympic Highway.

Olympic Field should be a little higher in the hills.

Posted Image

And there it is. It looks like a challenge. The trees are especially close to the water runway.

Posted Image

After a long turn to get upwind (while avoiding the power line stretched above the airfield), I manage to stabilize my final.

And I'm sweating : it's short, narrow, and there are big trees to jump at the threshold, and others lining the "runway".

Posted Image

Unfortunately, no pictures of the landing itself, but I can tell that the right wing ripped some branches, and that at one time the floats dirfted on the beach...

Still alive !

I paddle myself to the wooden dock. There is a squirrel in the cockpit that I swear was not there before !

Posted Image

I'm glad you enjoyed the screens (it's easy to take nice pictures when the scenery is that beautiful !).

Here are some more from my latest flights (thanks OrbX for the 44%).

Diamond Point.

Posted Image

Port Townsend bay, Jefferson County's PAPI in the distance.

Posted Image

Jefferson County. The power line seems to go right above the threshold of runway 9 here, which puzzled me.

Posted Image

Jefferson County, final runway 9. Well no power line, where did it go ?

Posted Image

Thanks to Google Maps, I understood that the cables are diverted widely around the threshold. Funny :)

Posted Image

Another flight, enroute to Skagit. There is some big traffic in the area.

Posted Image

Enjoy !

Archived