PAKT SP1 - Very Impressed and.....

stiletto2

Russ's work on PAKT is fantastic. Just the creation of the airport surfaces and slanted ramps alone is a real breakthrough. I passed that airport a year ago last summer on a Princess cruise ship departing Ketchikan and I think Russ has captured the immediate vicinity of the airport beautifully. I was not impressed, I was very impressed.

The cruise ship, that I was on, had been docked in the same location as the large cargo/freighter that is sitting northwest of all of the cruise ships. The downside, a long walk back to the center of town. The upside....well the cruise ship was facing the other direction when compared to the cargo ship...so I took a picture just off the stern of the ship. Imagine looking just NW off the bow of the Cargo Ship. I think that picture showed exactly what some were hoping to see. See below.....

Posted Image

However, as Russ says, you have to stop somewhere. I was not a bit disappointed with what ORBX delivered. However, that didn't stop me from wanting more. So, having been involved in FSX and Falcon 4.0 scenery placement in the past, I decided to fire up Instant Scenery, access a few of the publicly available scenery object libraries (e.g. EZ Scenery), and spiff up the area depicted in the Real Life photo above. See below for the before and after shots:

Before Stiletto's handiwork....

Posted Image

After......

Posted Image

Though this object enhancement is by no means photo realistic, or even location logical (some buildings came from the UKVFR Object libraries), I think it gives the feel that I was looking for, makes a great float plane stop and looks good on the approach to PAKT. It does drag frame rates a bit but I am running 3 screens in high resolution.

If anybody wants to test my little Ketchikan Harbor area enhancement scenery file on their system to see if it works, feel free to PM me.

Stiletto2

Hi Stiletto2,

We have both the same feeling and behaviour toward this scenery, we wish it would be completed.

I am currently working on the Temsco base.

The problem is that, due to the strict ORBX policy, we can NOT distribute our work (for free). Maybe the Boss could reconsider its position for once?

As long as it has been considered that enough time (and money) has been spent on this project, someone (s) willing to complete it for free, maybe welcome.

Future will tell!

The problem is that, due to the strict ORBX policy, we can NOT distribute our work (for free). Maybe the Boss could reconsider its position for once?

As long as it has been considered that enough time (and money) has been spent on this project, someone (s) willing to complete it for free, maybe welcome.

So true. Any completion on this fantastic scene would be really appreciated (although the original ORBX one is clearly great and worth the money, no doubt on that).

If the Mysty Mooring team is on it, and Stiletto too, that'd be just great. Hope JV will let the door open :) .

Hi Stiletto2,

We have both the same feeling and behaviour toward this scenery, we wish it would be completed.

I am currently working on the Temsco base.

Future will tell!

Hi Berliner,

Actually we don't quite have the same feeling. I think PAKT was great just as it was released and don't feel it is a product that was incomplete. As with any scenery product, there are always areas surrounding the detailed scenery that a user might wish there was more. In a few of those (wish there was more areas) I just decided to add some of my own touches to it. Also, I am in full support of the ORBX EULA (very clear and simple). I did not use any or call any of the ORBX components (object libraries etc.) in creating my little enhancement so I am free to distribute my little file just as Misty Moorings does a great job with their little enhancements.

Stiletto2

Stiletto, your comparison shots are not quite fair! It seems you have completely disabled autogen. No wonder that the town has no buildings in your 2nd shot.

Wolfgang

Hmmm......I did not disable any autogen. Don't know if you have PAKT installed....but if you do and see autogen in that area then I would like to see a picture of it.

Stiletto2

Stiletto2

"Of course you can alter things yourself, but that is strickly for your benefit only, you cannot share your alterations with anyone as that would be in breach of your Orbx End User Agreement."

This is a quote from Russ White from a PM I sent.

I also sent you a PM

Sorry... I'm a bit confused here. Why can't he create and freely distribute a file which adds additional detail to a payware scenery? If this is not allowed, then wouldn't everything that RTMM is doing also be illegal, for instance... or any of the other add-on freeware airports and sceneries, available on the most popular flight sim sites, which are designed to work with Orbx/FTX products? I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm an artist and designer, too... so I'm all about intellectual property rights. Just curious why this particular enhancement wouldn't be allowed to be distributed.

BTW... personally, I'm a big fan of Mr. White's work, especially on this airport. I suppose being a 3D designer, albeit in a different field, I can appreciate the huge amount of work that has gone into this project, given the limitations of FSX. I also think that stilleto's additions look great and would love to see them in my sim.

Posted Image

as you well may know there are limitations with fsX and personally I think Russ has done a great job on PAKT with all the issues that he had to resolve to get it working, the main focus of the package is the airfiled itself with all that comes with it, for the surroundings you have to draw the line at some point and all in all I think he did a great job within the constraints he had to work with, one of them being the very limited aerial imagery that is available on the PAKT area.

as for adding items to the scenery, the limitation is that you can not use or alter files or objects originating from orbx-ftx products, so you have to create your own objects for that or use objects and or files that are freely available and are free to use as freeware

please, Stiletto2,

a picture from PAKT:

Posted Image

I think it's a little outrageous, without prior information that you set up this assertion.

Cheers. Friedi.

Hello Friedi,

Thank you so much for that picture. There was no intent to be outrageous. For some reason, that autogen does not show up on my system. Now that I see the pic, I am going to withdraw my scenery enhancement offer for test until I can figure out why my system does not show the autogen that is in your pic. Once, I solve that I can modify my enhancement file.

Sorry for the confusion.

Stiletto2

Strange Friedi, there is any additional enhencement to be seen.

I tried this scenery, too, and everything is displayed like in Stiletto2's screenshot above.

(Of course, ukvfr.zip must be installed and registered in FSX library)

Strange Friedi, there is any additional enhencement to be seen.

I tried this scenery, too, and everything is displayed like in Stiletto2's screenshot above.

(Of course, ukvfr.zip must be installed and registered in FSX library)

Dieter,

I think Friedi is saying that my "before" picture should have all the autogen in it that is displayed in Friedi's picture. However, on my system it does not show all that autogen. I don't know why yet. So the important question would be...before adding my enhancement, does your system look like my "before" picture or like Friedi's picture? If it looks like Friedi's picture, then my enhancement, would cause some overwrites of general trees and buildings in area beyond the harbor front since the ORBX autogen would be there. However, my harborfront part would be okay.

I am also wondering if anyone knows why my ORBX autogen in that area would be suppressed. The autogen does show up when I get closer to the airport. I will check to see if there are any other possible 3rd party files that may be affecting this

Stiletto2

Hello all,

My tests show that David Roch's wonderful Birds in PFJ freeware suppress's Russ White's autogen work just Northwest of downtown Ketchikan. So my "before" picture would probably be accurate for anyone who has Birds in PFJ installed. This could explain why some people think ORBX PAKT has an unfinished look....can anyone confirm my findings?

Stiletto2

just did a little test for ya Stilleto2

FTX PAKT+PAKT SP1

Posted Image

FTX PAKT+PAKT SP1+BIRDS IN PFJ

Posted Image

by the looks of it that's the culprit of your lost Autogen scenery there, there is a file PFJBirdsPAKT.bgl alas disabling that doesn't restore the FTX PAKT to it's original state so there's more on that BIRDS IN PFJ file that kills off the Autogen, best probably is to de-activate it

Hi Guys

I to had PFJ birds installed and after reading these posts I checked some other areas and it suppresses the autogen in others places as well..I often wondered why by home base Terrace looked different or rather the lack of autogen... nice work guys on finding that out...

Awesome work on Ketchican Russ, because I live in close proximity to PAKT have been there a few times...Just a note and your next scenery project of Stewart,I also have flown in there many times in my own plane so am very pleased to see you enhanceing this area...I would also be very please to see you do Terrace ( CYXT) as this is an airport that is a central hub to this northern area..not sure if its on your radar but a place to consider in the future...seeing how beautiful you have done PAKT ,I can only imagine how cyxt would look

Thanks

Terry

Following this with great interest. I have not added anything to my new PAKT and glad to know that problems could arise from some addons. Keeping it just as is for now and loving it, but look forward to adding stuff maybe at a later date.

Russ you sold me on orbx!

acer - I am so jealous you live near there! :) I am thinking of flying up for a visit/scouting trip. Looks like a place I would like to live. (I lived most of my life in Breckenridge CO. so I know cold)

Well I dont think you would be jealous if you know how much snow we have had in last last few days...I can barely see out my living room window and I have a 2 story house...however saying tha,t it is a beautiful country in the summer

Terry

wow, well done guys, had no idea this conflict existed, good bit of detective work Stiletto and Wolter, i have no experience of this 'birds' file.

Seems what with all the 3rd party APX issues and now this....

Russ.

I am just thrilled to have discovered this. Thanks, Wolter for your confirmation. A lot of people use this addon in PFJ. With PAKT being the first ORBX PFJ airport, the word needs to get out because, my first reaction was simply that there wasn't time to do that part of the Autogen.

I am currently modifying my enhancement to work with the now "fully autogened" ORBX PAKT. Stay tuned.

Stiletto2

Well I dont think you would be jealous if you know how much snow we have had in last last few days...I can barely see out my living room window and I have a 2 story house...however saying tha,t it is a beautiful country in the summer

Terry

To be honest (and I will not hijack this thread anymore) at this point Terry - it is winter here in Florida and I am still getting eaten up by bugs. My dream in Colorado was to get out of the snow - now I would take 20' of snow over the year round bugs and summer humidity.

The person who made the birds probably used Instant Scenery and didn't select the option box that will NOT remove autogen under the bird object they placed into PFJ when making their scenery addon. It that's not selected in the Instant Scenery creation process, it removes autogen inside the area of the box that the object uses inside FSX. For objects in Instant Scenery, this box is red and can be seen in that program when using the view in FSX interface. It's also a good way to see how big object "crash" boxes will be when placing objects by airstrips like grasses, flowers, etc. This causes a crash in FSX if your aircraft touches these areas unless crash detection is turned off. However I digress.

The birds objects are big and so are their boxes in Instant Scenery. So that's probably why so much autogen is missing in these areas that have birds placed in that scenery which I don't use. So if you've got that file installed, it looks like you'll either need to remove it or get the developer to go back in and select that option for each of those placed objects so that they don't remove the autogen underneath them in FSX.

Hope this makes sense to you,

Brad

Also, anyone with Instant Scenery can open the offending file in IS, check the appropriate box to disable autogen suppression, and solve the problem immediately. We should contact David Roch and see if he'd mind correcting the issue an releasing again.

I did send a memo to David letting him know about the problem. My revised ehancement (now that I have disabled Birds in PFJ) is coming along and should be ready in 24 hours or so.

Here is a pic just in front of the cargo ship that is just Northwest of the line of cruise ships.

Posted Image

I am adding scenery from downtown Ketchikan to just north of what the picture above shows.

Stiletto2

Archived