JV speaks on airdailyX

Kilstorm

Interesting thoughts about Flight vs Prepar3d. Quite frankly the price of Prepar3d is expensive for the hobbyist , BUT factor in the amount of addons for fsx already paid, well....

Does seem that Prepar3d is the way to go , particularly with on going updates, but cant help wondering if fsx is a bit old for the graphic technology thats becoming available. Having said that, I know nothing about the ins and outs of graphics tech ( tesslation ? etc ). Still, we have yet to get our hands on Flight and see what its real worth is .

Actually, a 12-month P3D sub costs $119, which is the price of one or two airliner addons. IMHO if you are going to be an 'enthusiast' who may spend upwards of $3000 every 18 months on hardware refreshes, GPUs and SSDs etc, then $119 is a pitance to pay, especially since it automatically gets you the V1.2 and other new versions when they are released.

It's all relative. P3D is not for the casual simmer who doesn't buy many addons or run top-end hardware. But for the hardcore it's the only platform right now which is being actively developed along the lines of FSX with the promise of DirectX 11 and many other enhancements to come.

Keep in mind you can run both FSX and P3D on the same PC - they live in different folders and use different Windows Registry keys. You just need to wait until vendors like Orbx, REX, etc port their products across so you can run them on FSX and P3D on the same PC.

It *is* possible to 'hack' Orbx products to run on P3D but that's breaching the EULA. Better to wait for our official ports with a nice legit license to use it on P3D. We're going to make it possible to cross-grade from FSX to P3D for very little cost. It is of course in our interest to allow everyone to enjoy P3D and in the end the platform which has the ongoing codeline development and continual engine and SDK upgrades, is going to be the platform that wins - that is simply a logical conclusion :)

$7K, $4K, $2.5K are the commercial pricepoints. Those prices entitle commercial license holders (flight schools, aerospace companies, helicopter training companies etc etc) to charge money for their customers to use Orbx regions and sceneries, usually in part-task trainers, sim platforms, and other commercial operations. We charge a high amount for those commercial licenses because the license holder will be making a profit from using Orbx addons. If we charged less than that we may as well give away shares in our company for free :)

However .... there will be a new Orbx P3D price tier introduced but it is too early to announce anything yet because we are waiting on LM to announce a bunch of stuff. So in the meantime we will be releasing free demos and freeware for P3D so companies and individuals can sample our products on the platform.

[Just thinking out loud here..] This idea that the platform that brings in the most, updates to code, sales, etc.. will prevail (ultimately being p3d), and having to "pay-to-play" is a bit out of my ball park all together, even if a new price level were introduced. I get why you'd want to have people paying a monthly subscription to use your product's. after all, your not in this for the fun of it.. I consider myself a big "enthusiast" by all means, and yet don't spend anywhere near 3000 every 18 months on hardware or fsx addons. Perhaps I've just fallen into the lower income level and not realized it. I am just going to have to ride this one out and see what becomes of it, before I "speculate" far too much lol. I'm going to go back to my fsx now and get into my happy place. O0

Very glad about the crossgrade decision. Makes my decision about P3D a lot easier. The big drawcard being the continual work on the fsx engine . FSX is pretty good now as it is ,thanks to Orbx and like minded developers.

I wonder if its possible to get extra water class, refined aerodynamics and weather ?

I lean towards Charlies side and certainly do not spend $3000 every 18months , more like 4yrs on hardware. Im due at Christmas.

I lean towards Charlies side and certainly do not spend $3000 every 18months , more like 4yrs on hardware. Im due at Christmas.

Same here. I'm considering myself as flightsim enthusiast/addict but I upgrade my system only every 3 - 4 years, and definitely for less than $ 3000.

BTW I'm due at christmas too. :)

Wolfgang

All I can say about FSX, Flight and P3D is that its great to have options and companies like Orbx who are there shoulder to shoulder to help push the envelope of what can be done all for the benefit of the end user. Glad to see Orbx is not putting all its eggs into one platform as well as other companies it seems these days as well. Options are great to have for sure.

$7K, $4K, $2.5K are the commercial pricepoints. Those prices entitle commercial license holders (flight schools, aerospace companies, helicopter training companies etc etc) to charge money for their customers to use Orbx regions and sceneries, usually in part-task trainers, sim platforms, and other commercial operations. We charge a high amount for those commercial licenses because the license holder will be making a profit from using Orbx addons. If we charged less than that we may as well give away shares in our company for free :)

However .... there will be a new Orbx P3D price tier introduced but it is too early to announce anything yet because we are waiting on LM to announce a bunch of stuff. So in the meantime we will be releasing free demos and freeware for P3D so companies and individuals can sample our products on the platform.

this is very good news for home users..thanks Orbx.

Archived