Mini LCD Monitors. Opinions...

rockliffe

I have just come across these monitors on Amazon and really interested. I am in the process of building a sim pit and like the idea of running a couple of additional monitors. I am rather confused as they're supposed to run from a USB with no need for a GPU?? Has anyone had any experience with these or indeed can offer some opinions http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mimo-UM-710S-Monitor-USB-powered-portable/dp/B003FMWDKK/ref=pd_cp_ce_3 They also produce some touch screen models also and was wondering whether this would work with the touch screen CDU that is available (can't remember, is it PMDG?)

DON'T they SUCK simply because the USB interface CANNOT get the data through fast enough. You CAN however use them as a touch screen type unit certainly not for moving vision you might get away with them as a GPS display but I doubt it'.

I have a touch screen mini monitor that I use to use as a GPS screen. The deal is in FS9 this would work, but in FSX you need a min screen res of 1024X or something like that. The quick answer is this screen you linked to is 800 x 480 RGB which will only work in window mode. So if you like to fly in non window mode, you need a higher res screen.

I've always brought my mini screens from mp3playerstore.com. Hope this helps.

Has anyone had any experience with these or indeed can offer some opinions

Howard, forget it. I bought a MIMO 7" and was disappointed because it didn't work with FSX. I found buried in the manual a line saying it doesn't support DirectX applications 'such as games'. If you want to run Notepad, fine. But forget FSX! Besides, you already have it figured out - a modern GPU is a supercomputer on a card. This hasn't got one, so it's a software-only solution. It is limited in principle by the bandwidth of the USB, and in practice by the fact that the USB is a shared resource.

I use a mimo on my second pc with success for three years and I am very happy about it.

PC 1: FSX on an HDMI projector

PC 2: PeixSoftware GA on 2 screens (hidden under the aluminium mask) + FSMap on 1 mimo (you can see it on the bottom right in this old picture on my home made cockipt).

(both software dont use directx, so it works super fine, FSWidgetsGMap works as well too).

Posted Image

I use a mimo on my second pc with success for three years and I am very happy about it.

PC 1: FSX on an HDMI projector

PC 2: PeixSoftware GA on 2 screens (hidden under the aluminium mask) + FSMap on 1 mimo (you can see it on the bottom right in this old picture on my home made cockipt).

(both software dont use directx, so it works super fine, FSWidgetsGMap works as well too).

Thanks Etienne, what I really wanted to use it for was the PMDG CDU. So what could I run and what couldn't I run on this little monitor. I guess anything related directly with the aircraft I was flying would be a no no, is this correct? But could I run a moving map program, Plan A or Google? Or what other possibilites could there be?

Thats interesting sue ( or not ..lol ) .

A good intro to the question i need to ask . What do we need to do to get a functioning gps or radio stack onto a small screen . The ideal situation for the cockpit

I not interested in spending $600 for an ipad

Thats interesting sue ( or not ..lol ) .

A good intro to the question i need to ask . What do we need to do to get a functioning gps or radio stack onto a small screen . The ideal situation for the cockpit

I not interested in spending $600 for an ipad

That's basically what I would like to do too Alan..

Has anyone thought of using an Android Tablet with the various EFB software that has been made for the Android Platform?

The small Acer tablets that run Android can be had for just over $100 here in the US on sale, couple that with FSWidget's GMap for Android and you have electronic charts (Sectionals, Approach Charts, Enroute Charts, etc.) and Google Earth flight following. You can also load your flightplan in. http://fswidgets.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=50

I have a Nook Color and am planning on purchasing the bootable Android MicroSD that boots the Nook into an Android OS so I can use GMap with it. It might not be a full fledged GPS but better than having some huge EFB on the same screen as FSX... ;)

I have two of these

They are hardware accelerated, although they weren't when I bought them originally.

I can drag down any FSX window and it'll work just fine - you'll see the normal FPS hit for running extra FSX windows though - prob a bit more since this is USB.

I mainly use them for the REX weather avoidance tool and checklists and other external FSX applications I want visible front and center. Plus, just as extra desktop displays they are fantastic. Amazon has em for just over $100 (that original list price is completely bogus BTW :P)

I have two of these

They are hardware accelerated, although they weren't when I bought them originally.

I can drag down any FSX window and it'll work just fine - you'll see the normal FPS hit for running extra FSX windows though - prob a bit more since this is USB.

I mainly use them for the REX weather avoidance tool and checklists and other external FSX applications I want visible front and center. Plus, just as extra desktop displays they are fantastic. Amazon has em for just over $100 (that original list price is completely bogus BTW :P)

So Drew, are you saying that I could drag a GPS or the PMDG CDU down onto the monitor? Also, how good is thw picture quality?

Thats a nice set up Etienne !

Drew , how do you add hardware acceleration and is it essential ?

Rocky, with a bit of luck we may flush out some answers here . If you have forgotten there's MarkH thread that will pull out the gps buttons from screen and put them on a number pad. At least you dont have to fiddle on screen and you get to push a real button .

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/30529-making-a-keypad-for-the-gps/

So Drew, are you saying that I could drag a GPS or the PMDG CDU down onto the monitor? Also, how good is thw picture quality?

Can't comment on the PMDG CDU but here's a shot of me using the GPS:

Posted Image

The blurriness is just from the iPhone. Resolution is 800x480 and very crisp. I lost about 5fps using this in an external window. Note tho that I've not tweaked FSX to run with extra windows open, if there are any tweaks to help that.

Drew , how do you add hardware acceleration and is it essential ?

It comes by default. One of the updates to the software must have carried it I'm not sure which but it's there now! I was quite happy to discover this by accident one day...

And yes it is essential as without hardware acceleration support (DirectX support basically in this case) you can't run any FSX undocked windows on these (or similar) monitors

I have a mini-mo that I bought from Think Geek http://www.thinkgeek...b-gadgets/c609/

It works like a charm with FSX, where I use it for checklists, or for whatever pops into my loaf, since I'm still in the exploratory stages of its use.

Oh yeah, and I use it with the CDU when flying PMDG's 737 NGX.

I have a mini-mo that I bought from Think Geek http://www.thinkgeek...b-gadgets/c609/

It works like a charm with FSX, where I use it for checklists, or for whatever pops into my loaf, since I'm still in the exploratory stages of its use.

Oh yeah, and I use it with the CDU when flying PMDG's 737 NGX.

Very interesting John. So, a question before I part with my cash. Have you noticed a frame rate hit when used as a CDU with the PMDG ('cos I can't afford to lose any here) Could I call on your good nature to possibly run a quick comparison test and post the results ::)

My GPS will eagerly await the outcome! Is it a USB one? And is it a touchscreen?

Hi fellas, sure it arrived this morning. I am working at the minute but hope to fire it up later. I'll keep you informed. Hi mark, no it's not a touchscreen. I've bought it primarily for GPS when in a GA if it works OK then I may get the touchscreen for the CDU in the NGX. It is USB Mark, in fact two! Here's where I got it from... http://www.lilliputuk.com/

Bollocks! Just fired up the little monitor with the enclosed driver. Great I thought... it works and I can drag icons from the main desktop across to this new screen. Then I fired up FSX and got a message saying that the graphics drivers didn't meet the neceeesary requirements for FSX. FSX will now exit :( I bought it from Lilliput UK and spoke to a guy there who seemed to know his onions. He told me to give him a call should I encounter any problems. Tomorrow I will call him and let you guys know the outcome...

Rocky:

Try this (just in case you missed it):

Nip over to Think Geek's site and have a boo down the page a ways. They have a number of drivers listed -- specifically for Win7-64, f'rinstance. That's where I got mine, and I've had no trubs with FSX.

/>http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/c609/

Just found it in Oz !

http://www.electronicsales.com.au/usb-monitor/Lilliput/UM-70/C/T-usb-monitor.htm

Howard,when you get it working can you do some experiments for me please . Can you load up the radio stack and touch screen the buttons to see if it works like I hope . Likewise for GPS and some instruments ( maybe Carenado)

If you have the time and inclination it would be much appreciated. Ta

Ok fellas, what am I doing wrong?! I have the latest driver installed. I start the monitor after I fire up FSX. When I get into a cokpit I simply cannot drag any instrument, eg GPS across to the Lilliput, regardless of whether it is in fullscreen or windowed mode???

Ok fellas, what am I doing wrong?! I have the latest driver installed. I start the monitor after I fire up FSX.

Why are you starting it after FSX? If you are still getting that error that forces FSX to shut down then it's not hardware accelerated yet and it won't be able to run FSX windows.

That doesn't sound right at all -- at least from my experience with the Lilliput. Have you tried the drivers provided by Think Geek?

Hi Jon, I followed the link you posted earlier. I dowanloaded the driver, went to instll it only to be told that I already had the latest drivers installed...

mmm, what I have is not working.... even when I undock the window and drag it across, which now works, I cannot resize the window in the Lilliput. If I try to resize either the GPS in a GA or the CDU in the NGX, the minute I attempt to resize the window so that it fits the screen, the window just goes blank?

Archived