Let's see your 'pits'n'rigs'

marshkop

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another try ...... sorry folks if this doesn't work ...... (please do scrub this and my last from the forum, if necessary)

[url=

David

Hey there David, thats a nice clean pit. Curious, I know those are monitors for your dashboard, what or how did you do that. I am just rebuilding my dashboard(very first posting) and I would like to do EXACTLY what you have done. Do you have building pics. Is that project magenta instruments?

skelly, all I can say is niiiiiiiiiiice! Looks like you have (3) 27"'s there? I just picked up three of them. Man I need my sunglasses now when I fly! Couple of questions:

1. You are running three displays off one 5870? Of course then I have to ask FPS?, do you have shimmering, moire effects, other issues?

2. You have (3) Saitek Radio panels installed for a total of six radios. Nice. I've installed two. I'm still getting up to speed with radios and how they interact with FSX. Can you really use all six radios in FSX? Like two com radios at the same time? Just haven't got that far in my testing.

FYI - I just read a thread on a foreign forum where a simmer is using the new AMD 7970 with FSX and is getting good performance running three displays off one card with no typical FSX side effects. Could this be true? Was all set to pick up a couple of 580's for a 3-display Surround but now I ha putting myself into a holding pattern till I see more feedback on these new cards.

Clutch

Preparing to go three screens myself, I have a 6950 2gb upgraded from a 4870. Just upgraded the driver after the swap to whatever was current. Upon first run i was shocked at issues i had not had before. I was getting moire effects on powerlines and some rooftops something aweful. Then also shimmer in the distant ground textures. Thankfully I found the CCC settings to rectify it.

1. Unchecked AA in FSX settings but leave filtering set to ansio enabled.

2. 4xAA enabled in ATi Control Panel (standard type) .

3. 16xAF enabled in ATI Control Panel.

4. AA METHOD set to Supersample.

5. Catalyst A.I. texture quality to highest setting.

6. KILL THE SHIMMER.... Un-check Enable Surface format optimization!!

Also, ATI cards have higher gamma set out ofbthe box and can cause eyestrain. Go into color settings in the driver control panel and lower gamma to 90. My old monitor liked 85. Lowering gamma in the color setting enriches the colors and makes the screen less bright and easier on the eyes.

Settings 4 and 6 are crucial. Unless SS AA is used you get alot of saw blade effects on edges in the cockpit and on fonts or print in gauges and GPS displays . If you leave surface format optimization enabled you get shimmer. Optimization in driver terms always means "sacrafice" quality for speed.

Those are my settings above and the visual quality is fantastic. I run 1980x1050. All my FSX sliders are maxed except I run Dense autogen and Very Dense scene complexity and 2x High on water setting. Aside from a 20nm radius of Seattle, I can tour all of PNW in the Duke or Carenado C208 locked at 30fps with Vsync forced.

I think if I get two more screens a factory overclocked 6970 2gb like HIS offers would do the trick for three screens nicely.

C.

Great! ... thanks "ryanbatc", for dropping my "URL's" ... I'll try again with my setup in its "heavy" version!

For "marshkop" & "rocklife" ...... No, no MAJENTA stuff, just ordinary FSX default aircraft panels, configured over 3 monitors. I have a seperate panel configuration for each of the 8 aircraft that I fly, with removable metal masks for each type of cockpit ... I can quick change from a CESSNA 172 to a B737-800 in just a few moments.

David

Bonjour "Kilstorm",

Love your pit ... especially the right side and back enclosure (I never thought of a back wall, but it certainly adds to the feel of a cockpit!), do you also have a left enclosure? Why do you have the sim dashboard showing in your out of cockpit views ... ??!!??

David

Why is the room cluttered with bits and pieces?

I'm building a full size 737-800 Cockpit. The bits and pieces are there, because I can't put a 100 grand cockpit together in 2 months.

As for my visuals, my Graphics PC is a 3960X with a revo drive and sports 2 GTX580's at the moment. I'm waiting for the 600's to arrive and then I'll replace the 580's for them.

The two forward screens are 32" LCD's (which are pretty close to the real 737 windscreen size) and my 2 side windows on either side will be another 2 x 32" LCD's.

Once the MIP is finished entirely, I'll start building my windscreen frames (like this):

Posted Image

This is what the cockpit will look like, if I follow this guys ideas:

Posted Image

And the whole thing will be encased like this:

Posted Image

This guys sim is in Greece, I believe, but he has given many a simmer the ideas and measurements for a 737 cockpit, me included.

I have another twelve months of work (rough estimate) before I get my cockpit to this stage. The only thing slowing me down at the moment is getting enough parts (you have to source everything overseas) and staying at home long enough to complete it (as I'm a bit of a wanderer and like to travel).

Frank

Bonjour "Kilstorm",

Love your pit ... especially the right side and back enclosure (I never thought of a back wall, but it certainly adds to the feel of a cockpit!), do you also have a left enclosure? Why do you have the sim dashboard showing in your out of cockpit views ... ??!!??

David

Hey David, yes the Left wall is the door and its the same as the right side. You can kind of see the door in the last pic with the cup holder on the left door. This sim room is under my bed of all places. I live in a 8x18 custom built utility trailer. Where I live Nantucket, shacks go for half a million so I cant buy here but I own 35 arces of land out in Colorado and I'm saving up to build my hosue out there.

The sim room is 5 and a half feet deep x 4 feet wide x 4 feet tall so it nicley compact and fully featured.

As for "Why do you have the sim dashboard showing in your out of cockpit views ... ??!!??" its because I enjoy flying all kinds of planes and so my sim hardware is set up to work for single/twin/prop/jet and stick. If I could every decide on one plane I would custom build the sim to it and go full outside on my screen. But there are so many great VC and features in them today that I would rather keep it this way. With HeadTracker it works really well and the way the panel top is angled down its a perfect view from the pilots seat of the monitor.

All I can say is wow! to some of the above cockpit setups.

I really don't think a picture of my slightly ripped old computer chair, a desk my work was going to throw out and a screen that rests on an old telephone book is really gonna 'cut it' in this thread.

Regards Dave

its because I enjoy flying all kinds of planes and so my sim hardware is set up to work for single/twin/prop/jet and stick. If I could every decide on one plane I would custom build the sim to it and go full outside on my screen. But there are so many great VC and features in them today that I would rather keep it this way.

That has always been my predicament. While I would love nothing more than to build a dedicated sim, like you Kilstorm, I too enjoy flyimg different aircraft. I'm in the throws of researching and desiging in my mind my next upgarde for a simpit.

Yes ...... a fully dedicated cockpit is a bit of a trap (however seductive!) to be avoided, in my opinion. I have a sort of "modulor-generic" pit setup with 3 monitors (plus a control monitor) off one computer handling only the panel. It has removable metal masks (SEE my earlier post: 24 JAN) one set for each of the 8 aircraft I fly, with specially reconfigured 2d panel guages ... other computers handle the forward views (only full screen ... no VC panels allowed!!)

But I could be tempted by "tennyson"s fine setup ...... !!!!

David

And there is nothing stopping you from having two set-ups, David.

I've got my 737 cockpit build going on and then at the Server station, I've got a small set-up with triple head2 go and 3 x 24" monitors, saitek quadrant and yoke, pedals etc. so I can also fly the other beauties like the Duke, C185, and my favourite Bird dog.

I also have the PMDG loaded to this unit as well, so I can do a lot of the training on this set-up as I work away at the cockpit.

And Howard is right, get yourself a wife that has a high paying job, so that all of your pay can be spent on "Your Dream".

Frank

Doing a night fight in the B-17 and figured I show you all the different night lighting options I have.

The overhead lamp is actually a USB computer lamp and is multicolor, I can pick from like 5 or 6 different colors but have found that green works the best and you can see the note on the yoke is lit up enough to read it but not so bright that the whole pit is lit up. The light is over my head so with my hat on I dont see it, just the glow from it and its out of sight from Headtracker to be picked up and confuse the head tracker eye.

Posted Image

Behind the window on the right side is the same light and it to can be set to offer different colors. When I built the sim I thought I could make it blue but the brightness of the monitor during daylight simming and the florecent blub on the back wall washes it out and you really dont see much of it like I had hoped.

Posted Image

Here it is with Blue on the window.

Posted Image

Heres the sim with the green panel lights on. the red light thats on the throttle quad has its own switch and can be pivoted (its a ball pivot so can move in any direction)

Posted Image

Heres with my red rope light on but I have to freeze Head tracker because it messes with it but still a nice light to use for short things like looking at charts etc and not get night blinded.

Posted Image

Sorry for all these pics being somewhat soft or blurry, just hand holding the camera with no flash to get the best light effect.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice pics tennyson. I wish I had the room for that. kilstorm nice enclosure, my first cockpit was enclosed like yours but I had reverse projection and it got realy hot in the pit so I installed a small airconditioner and that sure helped. How do you control the heat in your pit?

Fly with the door open 99% of the time, have an air blower vent to blow air on me that you can see mounted to the roof and plumbed via the 2" PVC painted pipe that leads into it. Lastly have a 2x2 foot window behind the monitor that I can open to let hot air out. All that said, still avoid flying during the middle of the day on summer days as my a/c unit doenst keep both the trailer and simroom cool and dont want to strain my overclocked computer too much.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the brand/name of the small screen at bottom centre? I would like one for the GPS.

How did you get the instruments to display in the small screen. Are they just the 2D windows from the aircraft you are using?

Rockliffe me old mate - do yourself a favour and move on from TH2go - although they work they are an extra layer of complexity and are old technology - I used one for three years, and since dicing it my simming has never been happier - go with surround or eyefinity on three same same screens and relax.

Screens are getting even cheaper, and three screens run really well on two GTX580's.

Yeah....I bought that old technology from Hotspot!

I think it works great!

Thanks Hotspot!

Archived