Let's see your 'pits'n'rigs'

marshkop

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is sweeeet, but where's the yoke or stick!?

I see he is flying fighter style. Hotas Stick on the right. I see the peddals down below.

What I want to know is if there is a wizard to make this work with all my planes?

Obvoiusly tough to do the J41 or NGX with this kind of setup but well?

Could you get the RXP GNS series to work somewhere in there as well? Or a separate screen as a pop up only.

C.

Here is my SCP100 under my 50" HD Screen, never seen FTX so good! ...... from www.scflightpanels.com.au

Posted Image

OK so I see it says NO INTENTIONAL SPINS printed on the pannel.

Right after clamping that to my desk and reading that warning... The next words out of my mouth are... "wanna bet?" :P

C.

Actually, the SCP100 is the first of a series.

SCFP is a brand new company with a new kind of product for the simmers out there.

The FS Avidynes come with the package, but other gauges may be applied e.g the

Dynon100 and AvMap as seen on Lionheart's Dynamic, single engine LAs.

You may use RXPs if you like.. contact the company and have a chat.

The 100 series, 101..102.. etc are the same shape and size but will have different

instrument layout.

The 200 series - the G1000 and the like.

The 300 series - the Spitfire and other warbirds.

Joysticks seem to be the controls of today e.g the Corvalis TTx

Hope this helps.

Actually, it's really inexpensive when you compare it to VRInsight's Prop

Cockpit Trainer at $5900 or even the Pro Pit at $2400 ... that is SCFP's

idea, to consider the average simmer.

Gray

You will have to mouse those controls on the glass and some instruments . Makes me wonder if one can get disorientated with the mouse cursor and loose it behind the panel.

Also , if you know , would it be possible to move those switches , trim and gear lever to somewhere else i.e. when the warbird model comes out I may wish to have those beside the seat , that would include some GA.

A work around for some access to yolks would be benificial .

Good points taken and noted.

Actually, a cordless mouse with a wheel (opposite hand to joystick) is actually easier and more controllable than using you fingers!

The subsequent models will have layouts like you've suggested, even accomodating a yoke, and of course the Spitfire - that's another story.. but

once again, a design to keep costs down.

Actually, a cordless mouse with a wheel (opposite hand to joystick) is actually easier and more controllable than using you fingers!

Oh good grief, I had assumed these were touch-screens. What an odd hybrid where a 'realistic' cockpit still requires a mouse to flip the switches! As a for a mouse being easier - this is sales talk pure and simple. Nobody would design it that way except as a compromise.

For my money, although these devices look promising I think there is far too little information on the web site to warrant a purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I found the manual. So basically it's an external 20" monitor with a custom 2D panel and a (small) subset of physical switches and knobs. While I admire the concept and it looks nice, it's not 'a fully functional flight panel' in my book.

"Okay, I found the manual. So basically it's an external 20" monitor with a custom 2D panel and a (small) subset of physical switches and knobs. While I admire the concept and it looks nice, it's not 'a fully functional flight panel' in my book.

MarkH"

Tell me Mark, apart from joystick and rudder pedals, what else would you require to complete your cockpit?

Gray

I have to disagree with you Mark. This is the first time in many years at looking at cockpit hardware that something has caught my eye. It looks good, appears functional and the price compared to a "fully functional flight panel" makes me think it might be what I am after.

Watching with much more interest !

I have to disagree with you Mark. This is the first time in many years at looking at cockpit hardware that something has caught my eye. It looks good, appears functional and the price compared to a "fully functional flight panel" makes me think it might be what I am after.

Watching with much more interest !

I'm not sure what you're 'disagreeing' with. It's advertised as a 'fully functional flight panel' but evidently most of the instruments are operated with a mouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my effort:

Posted Image

I'm a sim racer (not very fast though :( ) as well as a sim pilot. I got fed up with unmounting the flight kit and mounting the driving kit. Now I just have to slide my chair across. Perfik! :D

Yes the cabling HAS been tidied up since taking this picture! :)

Heres a few pics of mine. Pic were taken two computers ago so it an older photo set but mostly unchanged except the computer tower.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was my test pilot when I was building it. The jacket was found on the property where I work and I knew exactly what to do with it. I put a headset on him but it kept sliding off before I could take the photo and I was laughing so hard I couldnt take it quickly but it was riot to see.

Posted Image

Nice cabin Kilstorm .If your Test pilot was getting a bit grumpy just threaten him with the idea of putting him into the space program , as they did years ago with animals.. He may change his mind about the headset !!

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update my shot... added Saitek Pedals :)

Really a disorganized setup lol! Wires everywhere. In the bottom left you can't really see it but a battery backup powers the main rig (and yes it works - our crappy power company bumps offline often with cold weather). The secondary rig has an AMD 2600 I think... really old, got it free from a friend, runs my charts on second monitor. I use Synergy+ to run KB+mouse off main rig over the LAN.

Posted Image

What is the brand/name of the small screen at bottom centre? I would like one for the GPS.

It's from a company called Lilliput. It's a 8" VGA / HDMI monitor. They do 7" and 10" too. They also produce/distribute USB monitors, but after having one for a day I could not get it to work with FSX. The one you see in the pic is very useful, as you can use it as a GPS, which I do when GA flying. It can also be turned virtically, so it makes a great CDU with the NGX. http://www.lilliputuk.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Man some really great simpits here. Lot's of good ideas. Ok, so still only in "Phase II", I thought I would show what I have done so far. I call it my 'Executive SimPit' becasue I started off with an executive U-shape desk:

Posted Image

And this is what I have done so far. A generic pit so I can fly just about any type of aircraft. And it allows me to also use it as a regular PC setup for my design work. Lots of desk space to lay things out which I like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

But I need HELP!!!

I was all set to go the 3-way wrap-around look with (3) 27" displays (center display is one of the 27's while the left is a 25"), until I did a test with two displays. The FPS are HORRIBLE! Down from 30 to 10. I have an Intel i7-2600K at 4.8GHz., 8 gig of RAM, SSD's... the works. But I see the first poster, marshkop has three displays and others here.

For those of you who are using AMD Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround what's your secret?

I tried testing with an AMD 6970 in Eyefinity mode with two displays and then I tried it with my one Nvidia 580 (I know you can't do Surround with one card). But the results were so bad I don't want to break open the new boxes or drop $600 on a 2nd card.

Please anyone with multi-display setups please chime in.

thx,

Clutch

G'day Clutch,

I don't know of any 'secret' to 3 screen nirvana, but when I plug in the three screens there is no discernable difference to one screen - all my settings remain the same, so I'm at a loss. I use nVidia Surround with all 27"s identical, have never tried two screens though. Single screens I use when making a new system, then just plug in the three, have done it many times using GTX460,560Ti,570,580 and 590 - they all worked like a charm. Puzzles me - sorry I can't help. maybe make a new post in "Tips and Tricks' section - it will get more exposure.

Hey Clutch Cargo(love that name dude) What video card are you running? What are the specs for it? I have extensive expirence with eyefinity and yes there are tricks to make it work well with fsx. One very important aspect of an AMD card for eyefinity is 2 gigs of ram or more. The high res is an fsx killer. In my sig you'll see my specs, and yes fsx needs CPU Power, as much as you can afford. However if you want more than one screen you WILL need a good card with more than 2gigs of ram. If you are going to Nvidea then you will need 2 cards with more than one gig on each card because (as far as I know) fsx doesnt use sli and therefore will not read the other ram on the other card in sli. Someone else can jump in and give there two bits also if so inclined. Anyone who has 3 or more screens working well will never NEVER go back to one.

Thx for such quick replies, guys.

Hotspot - sounds like what you have is what I am aiming for. Are you saying that you get relatively the same FPS when using one display or is you use Surround? Do you have to make slider adjustments? What kinda FPS are you seeing? (I know it's all relative but ya gotta start somewhere) My EVGA 580 has 1.5GB on board. For a 2nd card I was thinking an EVGA with 3GB - run the side views with that one and keep the other card for my main view. Whats your CPU?

Do you think running two displays, undocking a window and moving it over would make such a hit as compared to Surround? FSX is so CPU dependant I would think not much ?

Marshkop - For Eyefinity, I was testing with my XFX Radeon HD 6970 (has 2GB on board). Tested with two 1920x1080's. Two main issues with the Eyefinity route. One FPS dropping 66% with just one additional display (would hate to think of adding a 3rd). 2nd - Never could clean up the shimmer completely and the moire effect not matter what I try with CCC. I use Las Vegas as my test location as it has a bunch of hi-rise hotels and have FSDreamteam KLAS right next to check on that type of model as well.

So looking at your great setup on the first post, what FPS are you getting? What are your sliders at? Now FYI I was planning to get a 2nd 6970 with 3GB on board as well. Are you just running a single card off those displays?

Clutch

Archived