Let's see your 'pits'n'rigs'

marshkop

Clutch, in answer to your query:

I am using a 2600K at 4.6 driving 3 x 27'' screens running off two GTX580's and have just removed a single GTX590 which was running the three screens equally as well. I also have an 17 975X at 4.2 driving 3 X 22'' screens on two 560Ti's after having just removed two 570's (removed in both cases for comparison, not due unsatisfactory performance)

Might I say that the oft repeated "FSX doesn't like SLI" is not correct in my experience, and there must be hundreds of other simmers by now (if not thousands) using FSX quite satisfactorily in SLI surround who will bear this out. FSX does not benefit in a significant way from SLI, but please be assured SLI is not detrimental to it's running.

The nVidia GTX590 (two 580's on a single card) runs 3 screen FSX as well for me as two GTX580's.

Yes, I am saying that the differences in frame rates and smoothness between the single screen and three screens in my experience is negligible.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thx for such quick replies, guys.

Hotspot - sounds like what you have is what I am aiming for. Are you saying that you get relatively the same FPS when using one display or is you use Surround? Do you have to make slider adjustments? What kinda FPS are you seeing? (I know it's all relative but ya gotta start somewhere) My EVGA 580 has 1.5GB on board. For a 2nd card I was thinking an EVGA with 3GB - run the side views with that one and keep the other card for my main view. Whats your CPU?

Do you think running two displays, undocking a window and moving it over would make such a hit as compared to Surround? FSX is so CPU dependant I would think not much ?

Marshkop - For Eyefinity, I was testing with my XFX Radeon HD 6970 (has 2GB on board). Tested with two 1920x1080's. Two main issues with the Eyefinity route. One FPS dropping 66% with just one additional display (would hate to think of adding a 3rd). 2nd - Never could clean up the shimmer completely and the moire effect not matter what I try with CCC. I use Las Vegas as my test location as it has a bunch of hi-rise hotels and have FSDreamteam KLAS right next to check on that type of model as well.

So looking at your great setup on the first post, what FPS are you getting? What are your sliders at? Now FYI I was planning to get a 2nd 6970 with 3GB on board as well. Are you just running a single card off those displays?

Clutch

With one screen and my 6970 my fps were in the sixties with 2 screens it was in the 40-50 range, with a third one it was between 20-30 with no tweaks and most sliders right exept autogen on dense. With all the software in the sim like orbx, carenado, rex,ase,my traffic 2010, irtracker,and so on... With your set up you should be at least be where I am if not way better. Your set up is quite impresive and I think it deserves to have three screens brother. Sli will not screw up fsx, it just doesnt use sli. When fsx was coded the choice of cards back then were definitly not as powerfull. Our cards are so powerfull now that one gtx580 will kill fsx, so two will only still read as one to fsx-which still kills fsx. I choose ATI because one card is powerfull enough to run up to 5 screens at high res. If I had only one screen I would use Nvidea.

run the side views with that one and keep the other card for my main view

I would guess this is what is killing your frames. You want to stick with one 3D view and find a solution that allows you to span it across monitors (TH2GO, nVidia Surround, whatever).

Hey fellas, I've been thinking abou three monitors for a while and intend, when I build my new sim later this year, to use three monitors. What opinions do you guys who have a three monitor setup think about TH2GO, linked to my GTX580 1.5gb, running three monitors @ 1920x1200? I have second computer that has bcome free and am wondering if I can somhow utilise that in some way. It's a 2.3Gb quad AMD with an older Nvidia GT9600 card. I understand I could use it to run a couple of monitors with instruments, would this be possible? If so, how can I go about doing this? Sorry guys, I know this is a bit off topic, but a quick reply would suffice as I don't wish to turn the thread around, cheers.

Rockliffe me old mate - do yourself a favour and move on from TH2go - although they work they are an extra layer of complexity and are old technology - I used one for three years, and since dicing it my simming has never been happier - go with surround or eyefinity on three same same screens and relax.

Screens are getting even cheaper, and three screens run really well on two GTX580's.

Rockliffe me old mate - do yourself a favour and move on from TH2go - although they work they are an extra layer of complexity and are old technology - I used one for three years, and since dicing it my simming has never been happier - go with surround or eyefinity on three same same screens and relax.

Screens are getting even cheaper, and three screens run really well on two GTX580's.

Thanks for the info Bill. It's a long road, so as much info about this as I can get the better!

Hey fellas, I've been thinking abou three monitors for a while and intend, when I build my new sim later this year, to use three monitors. What opinions do you guys who have a three monitor setup think about TH2GO, linked to my GTX580 1.5gb, running three monitors @ 1920x1200? I have second computer that has bcome free and am wondering if I can somhow utilise that in some way. It's a 2.3Gb quad AMD with an older Nvidia GT9600 card. I understand I could use it to run a couple of monitors with instruments, would this be possible? If so, how can I go about doing this? Sorry guys, I know this is a bit off topic, but a quick reply would suffice as I don't wish to turn the thread around, cheers.

Hey rockliffe, dont worry man this thread is about ALL pits n rigs. Your card and extra computer is perfect for adding more views. I'm using 2 comp. linked with FSWide. Ok I use my main machine for scenery and main fsx, then I use my old dualcore with another ATI card 5850 in eyefinity for instruments linked to another comp. So three screens for scenery and three for instruments, here are some links for everyone that cockpitbuilds.

http://www.projectmagenta.com/

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

http://www.simsamurai.com/

I use alot of these for references and there are alot of sites that will help you. Someone said that reading is the most important thing in cockpit building, I agree. Well mabey a little money will help.

Hey Rockliffe, FYI, it was your posts (not sure if it was this thread or another), that for some reason got me off my butt from months of planning to go out get three 27" displays and give this wrap-around a go. I had many hesitations, trying to read and study as much as I could to see if one can really go with FSX, despite it's limitations, in a multi-view environment. But, as you know it can get expensive just to try this out.

And now after my initital tests I must admit I am in a holding pattern (or should I say a "stall" and plunging towards the Earth!). Whether to return what I bought (actually a good deal of three Asus 27" LEDs for $900 USD), and place a hold on the 2nd 580 (still leaning to go the Nvidia route. I even read where there are issues with AMD Cards now with MS Flighty... not that I will be going with that but just as an FYI).

So here I sit motionless, like a deer in the headlights.... so I know what you are going through. Just need to keep telling myself "flightsimming is fun, flight simming is fun...... :wacko:

Ha! - update... just went over to Newegg to perhaps finally press the 'Purchase' button on the video card. Wouldn't you know it, just was informed it is out of stock! Maybe the FSX gods a trying to tell me something.

Thanks for the links marshkop, very helpful. You're right of course, there's no susbstitute for reading.

just went over to Newegg to perhaps finally press the 'Purchase' button on the video card. Wouldn't you know it, just was informed it is out of stock! Maybe the FSX gods a trying to tell me something.

Hee, hee, maybe the FSX gods are trying to tell you something after all. You sound very much like me. I spent about a week hovering over the purchase button while deciding to buy my new rig. Glad I did though ::)

This is my dads setup. Its my old desk that I custom built for simming before I made my simpit. It works great for simming and placing the keyboard under the yoke allows for easy access to the keys. On the left side I made shelfs that fit sectionals and flight books while on the right the bottom shelf was made for 3 ring Notebooks and other books.

I placed a red light under the desk to light up the keyboard. You could move the keyboard and put the driving wheel there for racing games. The mouse was on the side which made for ease of reach while I had a smaller desktop on the left side for note taking (helps to be left handed). All in all this is a great set up for a desktop kind of sim.

Posted Image

Side view

Posted Image

With the racing wheel set up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can easily see the keyboard under the yoke.

Posted Image

That is very impressive use of space Kilstorm - same pedals and joystick as mine, but I don't use the control wheel at all as I try to keep it very simple - there is one thing I would like to add though and that's a stand alone trim wheel - do you know of one at all?

Yep Kilstorm, couldn't agree more about the placement of the keyboard.

I've see so many setups where it seems to be an afterthought. But I use my keyboard all the time so it took me quite a bit of time to get it at just the right comfortable level but also keep the Yoke at a comfortable level. I made a "mock-up" that I could adjust to try different combinations for months until it felt just right. Even went through three chairs to find the right adjustable fit. Yea, crazy I know, but I fiqure I could be with this setup for years so I wanted to take my time and do it right. Got tired of the typical throwing something together with 2x4's and bits of wood here & there. I think it has paid off.

Clutch

That is very impressive use of space Kilstorm - same pedals and joystick as mine, but I don't use the control wheel at all as I try to keep it very simple - there is one thing I would like to add though and that's a stand alone trim wheel - do you know of one at all?

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cessnayoke.html

Thx for such quick replies, guys.

Hotspot - sounds like what you have is what I am aiming for. Are you saying that you get relatively the same FPS when using one display or is you use Surround? Do you have to make slider adjustments? What kinda FPS are you seeing? (I know it's all relative but ya gotta start somewhere) My EVGA 580 has 1.5GB on board. For a 2nd card I was thinking an EVGA with 3GB - run the side views with that one and keep the other card for my main view. Whats your CPU?

Do you think running two displays, undocking a window and moving it over would make such a hit as compared to Surround? FSX is so CPU dependant I would think not much ?

Marshkop - For Eyefinity, I was testing with my XFX Radeon HD 6970 (has 2GB on board). Tested with two 1920x1080's. Two main issues with the Eyefinity route. One FPS dropping 66% with just one additional display (would hate to think of adding a 3rd). 2nd - Never could clean up the shimmer completely and the moire effect not matter what I try with CCC. I use Las Vegas as my test location as it has a bunch of hi-rise hotels and have FSDreamteam KLAS right next to check on that type of model as well.

So looking at your great setup on the first post, what FPS are you getting? What are your sliders at? Now FYI I was planning to get a 2nd 6970 with 3GB on board as well. Are you just running a single card off those displays?

Clutch

You should probably post these questions under tips and tweaks. As for moire effect, I get that with multi-sample AA mode in CCC. For FSX you need Supersample and at least 4xAA.

Strange you have such issues. I have talked to other eywfinity users and they get somewhat decent framerates. On that note I know nVidia uses with Matrox tripplhead that get poor framerates in cloudy conditions or around Seattle with highish settings.

I guess when running resolutions like 5760x1080, it can get demanding.

C.

Oh well........My FS Rig has to double as a Video Editing Suite for my Studio so I dont have the room for the controls. I still have the old school Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback.....lol....(behind the left monitor). I still love the feel of it. Both my Pro Tools Rig and FS Rig are in the cabinet below left monitor. But hey, I have thundering sound.......lol.....I do wheel over to my right side computer for charts and airport info.....My future plans are to install a 46" HD TV where the large Beatles picture is for both Studio and FS Rig to share.

Posted Image

Here's mine

And my ORBX dvd's collection ;)

Look forward to great things in 2012!

Cheers

Hey Bayu,

When using that Samsung 55". Is the screen real bright? I want to setup a HD TV on my rig but some people say it is too bright when viewed that close. I thought it would be fine and it looks like it is good to go with you.

Mark has asked me to throw a few snaps here of my cockpit build.

It's still in it's infancy, but took some giant steps in the last few days.

I'm sorry to have doubled up on the pics (they are the same shots from my cockpit build thread, sorry).

Anyway, here they are:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll try and take a few more and keep them exclusively for this thread,

Frank

That's one $#%ing cool rig skelly. This is great guys, I dont know about you but I've been watching threads about cockpit building in the last 3yrs and I have to say that this thread has the most posters for there rigs than on anyother site I've fequented in quite a long time. Keep them comming. I've already got some new ideas for mine.

skelly, all I can say is niiiiiiiiiiice! Looks like you have (3) 27"'s there? I just picked up three of them. Man I need my sunglasses now when I fly! Couple of questions:

1. You are running three displays off one 5870? Of course then I have to ask FPS?, do you have shimmering, moire effects, other issues?

2. You have (3) Saitek Radio panels installed for a total of six radios. Nice. I've installed two. I'm still getting up to speed with radios and how they interact with FSX. Can you really use all six radios in FSX? Like two com radios at the same time? Just haven't got that far in my testing.

FYI - I just read a thread on a foreign forum where a simmer is using the new AMD 7970 with FSX and is getting good performance running three displays off one card with no typical FSX side effects. Could this be true? Was all set to pick up a couple of 580's for a 3-display Surround but now I ha putting myself into a holding pattern till I see more feedback on these new cards.

Clutch

They are actually 3 x 32 inch ,The map computer on the side is a 22 inch and runs off the secondary computer. All three run off one 5870 card with a display port adapter. FPS Im locked at 25 fps and max out there in pacific fjords and tongass. flying over vancouver or seattle I get bogged down to 12-15 fps over small cities like nanaimo and such I usually get 20 fps.shimmering is not a problem in most cases but I do get a little from the high def airplanes exterior view. I did have some shimmering issues with trackir but i dont use it anymore as it was too nauseating with the big screens. the only other issue I have is once in a while for some reason the display port doesnt start up right when i boot up this is very rare and just requires a reboot.

The radios i have set to the following . 2 com radios, 2 nav, dme 1&2, transponder and air pressure, and yes you can use them all together if your computer has the usb power to handle it. you will have to bind a separate switch to change from com 1 to com2 it took quite a bit of tinkering to get it all to work I had to network the six flight instrument panels to another computer and did a lot of switching around of the usb ports and hubs to get everything to work properly.

tennyson, thats one hell of a dashboard. What are you going to do for views. 3 screen eyefinity, or 2 projectors and a GTX... ? Very cool build I wish I had the moola for that.

Mark has asked me to throw a few snaps here of my cockpit build.

It's still in it's infancy, but took some giant steps in the last few days.

I'm sorry to have doubled up on the pics (they are the same shots from my cockpit build thread, sorry).

Anyway, here they are:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll try and take a few more and keep them exclusively for this thread,

Frank

Tennyson,

Nice cockpit ... is it a B737 (or bigger?) ... I'll be interested to see how you handle the out-of-cockpit views ......

Skelly,

Wow! those three 32 inch monitors!! ... but why are the forward views cluttered up with bits of the FS cockpit showing?

great stuff!!! ...... David

Archived