Let's see your 'pits'n'rigs'

marshkop

I'd like to see your cockpits and computers, with the customisation and effort that I have seen some of you do. Great place to get new ideas. Here's mine. Posted Image Posted Image Thats a av8tr flight stick slighty moddified.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

How's the smoothness? Framerates keep locked where you want em? I have been contemplating an Eyefinity experience myself. 3 1920x1200 screens of some type would be really good I think.

C.

Hey man. I tellya it was a fight to get it to work well, but I did and I will NEVER go back. I used a projector with 2 screens in combo before, too bad I have no picture, and I got great performance. I wanted more. I wanted to get either 2 580gtx or a 590 or 6990, but money was dictating at the time. I wanted 3 screens and as wide as i could get so the xfx 6970 2g xxx, was on sale for 350 re 425 and the screens were on sale. I had 700 to play with and thats what 590-6990s were selling for. There are tweaks now that alieviate alot of anomalies using ATI cards. Besides that these cards are so powerfull that really its the 2g memory that helps the high resolution. Mines 6036 x 1080. I have 2 other monitors running off the same card but, they can only be set at 800x600 which is fine because I dont need highrez gauges and panels.

If you can afford it cv. the bigger the better. If I could afford 3 proj. I'd do it, but that a whole different ball game. I think money is the only hurdle in perfection.

Hey man. I tellya it was a fight to get it to work well, but I did and I will NEVER go back. I used a projector with 2 screens in combo before, too bad I have no picture, and I got great performance. I wanted more. I wanted to get either 2 580gtx or a 590 or 6990, but money was dictating at the time. I wanted 3 screens and as wide as i could get so the xfx 6970 2g xxx, was on sale for 350 re 425 and the screens were on sale. I had 700 to play with and thats what 590-6990s were selling for. There are tweaks now that alieviate alot of anomalies using ATI cards. Besides that these cards are so powerfull that really its the 2g memory that helps the high resolution. Mines 6036 x 1080. I have 2 other monitors running off the same card but, they can only be set at 800x600 which is fine because I dont need highrez gauges and panels.

If you can afford it cv. the bigger the better. If I could afford 3 proj. I'd do it, but that a whole different ball game. I think money is the only hurdle in perfection.

Anomolies? What kind were you getting? ATI Eyefinity with FSX problem? Or overall?

So far on a single screen setup I have been thrilled with my 6870. I run on a 27" at 1920x1080 and use 4xSSAA and 16x Ansio and I see no problems visually? I lock at 30 fps ok with this card except over seattle in a storm. I go with settings spelled out in ORBX scenery manuals with sliders all nearly maxed for Agen and Scenery Complexity. If there is overcast conditions over Seattle (I use REX) I get dips into the 15 - 20 fps range and some stutters here and there. Otherwise all other ORBX stuff I see glass smooth locked at 30.

Is there a good ATI tweak out there that might help my Seattle situation?

Just PM me as I dont want to jack your thread with ATI support stuff. :D

C.

Hey marshkop and cvearl,

I am very curious about your settings for you AMD Radeon cards cause I have a 6970 just sitting here in the corner gather dust (or actually waiting for MS Flight), because I could not find a way to "tweak" out issues with building "shimmering" and distant scenery doing the same like trees. And there is little CCC can offer to try compared to Nvidia Inspector.

Performance-wize, I never had an issue with FPS or weather/clouds as noted in the past with this card it's really more of that darn shimmering (or moire effect). So what is you secret? I have a Nvidia 580 in there now but want to yank it out, drop in two 6970's with three 27" displays to finish my rig! Help!

Clutch

Hey marshkop and cvearl,

I am very curious about your settings for you AMD Radeon cards cause I have a 6970 just sitting here in the corner gather dust (or actually waiting for MS Flight), because I could not find a way to "tweak" out issues with building "shimmering" and distant scenery doing the same like trees. And there is little CCC can offer to try compared to Nvidia Inspector.

Performance-wize, I never had an issue with FPS or weather/clouds as noted in the past with this card it's really more of that darn shimmering (or moire effect). So what is you secret? I have a Nvidia 580 in there now but want to yank it out, drop in two 6970's with three 27" displays to finish my rig! Help!

Clutch

While I am not an expert in EYEFINITY setup, I can only offer this. I only see shimering in powerline towers and trees and so on if I leave CCC set to Multisample AA and if I use below 8xAA. Even 4x SuperSample AA does not shimmer.

FSX does not use SLI or Crossfire as far as I know so it needs a profile that is non Crossfire? That was my understanding. That said, if you want simular to nVidia Inspector tweaked FSX settings on ATI it is something like this. (keeping in mind I only know single screen).

Use the latest drivers from ATI before moving forward. If you swap cards on an FSX box you have to then also delete the FSX.CFG file and let FSX build a new one. Uninstall all third part video tools and such. Completely uninstall nVidia drivers.

#1. AA and Ansio enabled in game.

#2. Then set ATI CCC to 8xAA and 16xAF and all filtering type sliders to max quality and so on.

#3. Leave vSync in CCC set to Application Controlled and use the vSync switch in the FSX.CFG like so...

[GRAPHICS]

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

Of course the Wideviewaspect=true switch as well.

In CCC Set AA mode to Supersample not Multi or that middle one. Since the 5000 series the Supersample option has been there.

Lock your framerates to 30 in FSX Game options.

If it still does this shimmer you speak of, I don't know what's wrong.

One thing to try is leave CCC set to Supersample AA mode but set AA and AF to Application controlled as long as FSX is set to AA and Ansio enabled.

Charles.

Charles - you have seen it before.

This is a bit outdated.. missing the second quadrant and trim wheel.

X-52 pro & Saitek TPM are off to the side...

Using the matrox here. I have had that for almost 4 years now. Simple to setup up and never an issue.

I can't imagine flying without..

Posted Image

Charles - you have seen it before.

This is a bit outdated.. missing the second quadrant and trim wheel.

X-52 pro & Saitek TPM are off to the side...

Using the matrox here. I have had that for almost 4 years now. Simple to setup up and never an issue.

I can't imagine flying without..

Would you go back to 3 19" from the 3 24" you have now?

Thx for the detailed response cvearl. I could have sworn I had tried all those settings in the past but you never know I might have not set just the right combination. I must admit when switching back & forth among the cards I did not actually rebuild an FSX.cfg file. I would usually just comment out one card and "un-comment" the other.... maybe one reason. Debating if I should try it again.

From what I understand with Eyefinity and crossfire, it will work if you start with profile of a different game that is already accepted, and then make some edits. But I have never dug in deeper. Have seen several examples of it working, though. Just feel more comfortable if I had the extra horsepower when I move into three big displays for a wrap around.

Bman, like your setup. Custom and clean.

Clutch

Bman, love your setup. cvearl, I dont have any specific tweaks that you wouldnt know about I dont think. The best tweak that I have been using for about a year now is the 8 core affinity mask=84. The benifit from the 2g 6970 with three screens is enormus. I had a 1g 5850 and it was awsome for fsx but not eyefinity( not enough memory). I've never had an issue with eyefinity. As a matter of fact with the ease of setting up 4-6 screens off one powerfull card really appealed to me. Clutch Cargo, hey man, I dont screw with the CCC to much its pretty much stock settings exept AAmode is set to MSAA. Guys here is a site that I have found usefull for ATI. http://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/

Hey marshkop and cvearl,

Clutch

Have you tried using' Radeon Pro'? http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/ this offers individual profile settings adjustment, just like nV Inspector, but, with even more features.... works a treat. I use 4xAA with 12x edge detect and Supersampling with FSX and the image quality is superb, as is performance.

Those are quite amazing set-ups Mark and Bman... awesome 8)

Have you tried using' Radeon Pro'? http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/ this offers individual profile settings adjustment, just like nV Inspector, but, with even more features.... works a treat. I use 4xAA with 12x edge detect and Supersampling with FSX and the image quality is superb, as is performance.

Those are quite amazing set-ups Mark and Bman... awesome 8)

Very cool. I need to check that RadeonPro stuff out! I like 8xSSAA (FSX in game AA uses your cards highest AA mode I believe if not set in drivers.... It looks exactly like set to 8x in driver when I compared the two methods) and almost always leave it there. But in heavy cloudy conditions in dense populations like Seattle, Vancouver or Portland, I can get a little stutter when panning around or performing big manouvers and indication #1 is my framerate goes from 30 lociked to the low 20's and bounces around. A little stutter though. Not much. But I am a very picky gamer and sim jocky. I like NO sutters or blurries. Usually I have none except in that case. This is with Dense Autogen and Very Dense Secenery Complexity.

A nice Hybid AA mode is what I have been wishing AMD would put in the CCC. :)

Ya. Ben's setup is groovy. We fly together online. He's also a neat freak. ;) Mine is dissasembled awating a better desk and the new Saitek Trimwheel. My Yoke was too high and giving me neck pain so I moved to the stick for now. Besides lately, I have been flying sticik planes like the Realair Scout, Flight Replicas Cubs, Robinson R22 and Aerosoft Katana DA20. Just GOTTA get a new desk and put it all back together again. :)

C.

Hey Mark, yea I tried RadeonPro a ways back as it looked very promising. When I tried it it appeared to only be a profile saver type product. I could not find any selections that were really different than CCC. Are you saying they have a few more choices than CCC? Never saw anything that had the multitude of Inspector selections.

Maybe I'll give the 6970 another go when I return from my trip to Denver next week.

Thx Mark, pretty much what I remember, looks like a couple of new choices.. edge detect, etc. Our systems a very similar. I am using a 2600k and a 6970 so I would think the settings would be the same as your screenshots. So tell me, how about shimmer/moire effects on buildings in the distance (Las Vegas comes to mind), or add-on airports in the distance, how about trees in the distance or even the ocean with its pattern effects. You not experience any of these?

Thx Mark, pretty much what I remember, looks like a couple of new choices.. edge detect, etc. Our systems a very similar. I am using a 2600k and a 6970 so I would think the settings would be the same as your screenshots. So tell me, how about shimmer/moire effects on buildings in the distance (Las Vegas comes to mind), or add-on airports in the distance, how about trees in the distance or even the ocean with its pattern effects. You not experience any of these?

Not sure about Mark but some of REX's water types have exhibited this about mid way out. A shimmer or what I used to call texture crawl. Not bad but there if I really looked for it. My current theme from REX and my current settings are not doing this. Never trees. Ever. Any Multisample AA mode gives me some wriggly looking effects on the power line towers. Supersample does not do it to me.

C.

Thx for the link Mark, that tool works great for me. No shimmering at all. Guys with ATI cards should like this one.

Oh how bout some more pics of your pits n rigs folks.

That's great :) glad it's working for you... And Clutch Cargo some AA modes do shimmer, esp. using Morphological Filtering I've found, but the above combination certainly works for me, with no shimmer at all, and everything pin sharp... Like cvearl, using Supersample is key here.

I'm afraid I have nothing to show, apart from grot and clutter... I'm amazed by some people set-ups, truly awesome work.

While not there yet, this is the model I am going after. I just have to get a good drawer for underneath. I am missing the Radios Panel and don't plan on getting the instrumentation bits. Just the switch panel and the AP panel behind the keyboard is all I want (I own those). Waiting for my trim wheel but this is how I want to position my TMP and my Yoke with my Trim Wheel just below the TPM. So sorry. I am stealing this pic to show here. I really like this setup.

Posted Image

http://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/2011/07/16/my-best-fsx-setup-2011-0302/

Nice site there too.

C.

That looks pretty cool Charles.

Here's mine. Just ignore the racing parts....it's dual purpose.

/>https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/303728_2275218516497_1129737883_2787739_3147818_n.jpg

Oooops, looking back at the title of this thread I see I severely hijacked it... sorry, my bad. Hope to have my simpit "presentable" for screenshots by Xmas. These are always good threads as they can give you lot's of ideas for your setup.

Why not put it in like this. I love the setup. Where'd you get that cool Chair!

Posted Image

Thanks Charles...I was at work and in a hurry and couldn't figure out how to get it to show up. The chair is a Corbeau racing seat that I bought and built a base for.

That looks pretty cool Charles.

Here's mine. Just ignore the racing parts....it's dual purpose.

https://fbcdn-sphoto...9_3147818_n.jpg

Thats cool evoras. Nice pit.

Oooops, looking back at the title of this thread I see I severely hijacked it... sorry, my bad. Hope to have my simpit "presentable" for screenshots by Xmas. These are always good threads as they can give you lot's of ideas for your setup.

Thats ok Clutch, I'd like to see more 'tweaks' for our 'pits n rigs'. I would like this thread to be not only for showing off your simpits and computers, but for discussing the tweaks that are not normally talked about. ie: like my ATI card. Hyjacking is such a angry word, how bout 'filling the thread vessel with usefull info' ::)>:D

ps. just keep on showing those pits n rigs so 'they' don't shut the thread down. O0:ph34r:8)

Here is my messy pit/rig, I really need a new desk as my current one is falling apart but finding one that is suitable is not that easy.

Oh that is an eeyore picture above my monitor.. dont ask and my wife has her pc next to mine.

Posted Image

Hey JJJackson, my father inlaw's name is Jackson and my Uncle's name is JJ or Jimmy Johnson. He's a famous country and western singer. By the way JJ I would love to see your rig no mater what, you never know mabey someone here can help you make it better. Or you have done something that no one has thought of yet. We all can use new ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, today my Hotas Cougar broke apart. One of the metal parts of the stick broke to pieces. I thought of getting a yoke so maybe that was a sign ;)

Anyway, now I am without throttle, stick and pedals which I had connected to the Cougar via gameport. I think, its quite funny seeing me fly. I have two monitors running, one for FSX and one for FS Commander and other stuff. On my monitor there is the TrackIR device. On my left side there are three GoFlight modules, one with a nice LED-display showing frequencies. So it looks like a nice setup.

But what makes it look funny somehow is me sitting in front with a XBox-controller :)

But it works, I have set left/right brakes, rudder , elevator, aileron, throttle prop pitch, mixture, parking brake and TrackIR centering to the controller and it gives me good control over the smaller aircraft.

Archived