Windows 8

As soon as the Touchscreen technologies mix with the Flight Sim world we can build different home cockpits. Just put a 24" Monitor below a 42" Monitor, the 24" monitor is the touchscreen intrument panel and the 42" Monitor is the 'windshield' external view. This would be cheap and easy to build. Just have some CH or Saitek gear in front of a stack of touchscreen monitors.

No more mouse or keyboard with touchscreen and you can load up any instrument panel onto the screen.

"Hi Folks, my name is So-and-so from Microsoft.

Now that you have all migrated to Windows 7 and spent billions upon billions of dollars doing so, we will now show you how to make that all superfluous and make you run out and buy biilions of dollars on another microsoft Operating system that more or less does the same thing, because we don't make enough money fixing the current operating systems to a more user friendly environment...........

I love technology, but this thing is out of control.

Time to bring in the big guns of Industry and put these people in their places. We don't need to change things every few years and gouge the public on a regular basis.

Damn it, just when I was getting to like Micosoft and Windows 7,

Frank

I'm still running (and very well) FSX with Vista64 on my desktop box, well actually it's too big a box to put on the desktop but...

I recently bought my first laptop with wireless and Windows 7 64. Personally, I don't care for 7 at all. It's slower, runs too many bloatware programs, and I absolutely hate the E-Mail program.

This is one of the slowest systems I've ever had (2.8 GHZ processor, alledged) and all I use it for is the internet and E-mails and a little WORD use.

I have no doubt it has it's technical merits over Vista and it's predecessors but I'm not impressed so far.

I don't have any time for this type of cynical marketing. I considered buying the Ipad last year (glad I didn't) and realised , oh, it has no camera. I knew 100% that within about a year an Ipad 2 would come out, and guess what, it has a camera!!! The manufacturers these days deliberately design products so they are obsolete within a short time. If things had any kind of longevity, companies would sooner or later have nothing to sell. I shall run Win 7 for as long as I possibley can. IMO there cannot be any benefit whatsoever to buying into Win 8 if you are simply using it to run FSX. As far as I'm concerned, Mr Gates can go and sing against thunder! :)

Agree with the above, I think it's called partnership. Apple want to release a new product and they happen to know a company that wants to make a few bucks with their tiny cameras that just happen to fit on their Ipads....You can see where I am going?

And as for Windows 8 do you think maybe MS knows a few companies that manufacture touch screen monitors?

Oh, and can you imagine how comfortable it will be for the average pc user to keep leaning forward and touching their screen, does not make any sense except maybe for people running an ipad or laptop.

Bryan.

I dont like touch screens. screens are for looking at touch screens get dirty fingerprints on them its a gimmick

This is why I would have a large 42" Monitor for external view that is not touchscreen and a 24" touch screen for the instrument panels. If the touchscreen monitor gets dirty, who cares because truth is Airplanes get dirty too.

Dirt = Realism ;)

Just think about how much easier it would be to interact with the aircraft through a touchscreen compared to using keyboard/mouse, Things like programming an FMC, switching radio frequencies, using GPS...etc

Cheers :D

While not really directly related to Win8 here's what I think of touchscreens as input devices.

For applications where you already have a mouse and keyboard available, adding a touchscreen has zero benefit. Sure, it looks cool, but as we are generally lazy human beings we tend to use the easiest method to control our machines available to us. At the moment that is still the good old mouse/keyboard combination. To use a 24" touchscreen as a control panel means you have to physically move your hand up to 24" between controls, as opposed to the 2" square box that most mice never leave... and then there's the keyboard shortcuts. These still remain the fastest method for accessing controls. Those of you who work with computers all day know what I mean. Watch someone who performs complex tasks on a PC all day, eg a programmer, and you'll see they only make minimal use of even the mouse... everything is done with key combinations. I was part of a team which designed graphical POS (point of sale) interfaces for the purposes of ticketing in the tourist transport industry 12 years or so ago, and the systems we designed had to have touchscreens because that's what the clients all wanted. The end users however, all ended up using the keyboard to operate the system once they discovered (accidentally of course :D) that we'd coded in a bunch of keyboard shortcuts for all the commands available. The pretty touchscreens (at AU$2500 a pop at the time mind you) were largely decoration, overruled by a $20 keyboard.

For small devices such as tablets, smartphones, etc then yeah a touchscreen is great... you don't need to lug around a keyboard or have one built into the device. But for PC applications they are utterly pointless.

Back onto Win8, I do like their new look interface, even if it is aimed directly at touchscreen tablet devices... it will be very easy to use like that for a lot of basic users. I am very relieved however that it actually has a "traditional" desktop running in the background as it is far simpler to use a normal windows desktop than having to scroll through pages of "app" tabs to find the one you want. I especially like the effort put into ergonomic design (I am after all an OHS nerd) of the touchscreen keyboard layout where the keys are shifted to either side of the screen for thumb use.

I for one look forward to Win8, I love Win7 and even learned to like Vista before it - although my shift to Win7 showed me just how flawed it was. MS are out to make money - of course they are - but at least they're constantly developing their products with new ideas and maintaining flexible useage. Bring it on. Maybe the launch of Win8 will coincide with Flight... that's a tactic we've seen from MS before ;)

Cheers,

Derek

I'm lucky that my company provides an MSDN licence to me, so I get all the MS products for free. This looks like it will build nicely on top of what W7 has already achieved and if I could stretch to a touch screen with a decent resolution then I could see Flight being really good with a VC that you could actually touch!

Thanks John for the heads-up. It is plain to see that MS sees the desktop going the way of the Dodo. Fine by me just so the OS is lean and mean so we can still have a smooth Flight experience.

Cheers

jja

When I think of using touchscreens to fly my head goes straight to Star Trek, The Next Generation. That show introduced us to the concept of this.

Foresure it will be used to enhance simulators using multiple monitors and touchscreens. It will be the direction I go when Flight Simulator starts to use the technology. I think programming an FMC on a touchscreen will be a big improvement over using a mouse to click on the buttons.

I for one am excited at what it will bring

I spend all day working with the latest technology. and the only good thing i can find of it, is that I can fly planes with a reasonable realism on my home pc. My sister told me that in her office a chap sat literally face to face with her, but he emails her instead of talking to her, young girls who text each other wile sitting next to one another, people have " cyber friends" in the thousands but none at home. Technology creates technology for the sake of technology, it hasnt improved my life. Oh did i mention people stealing peoples ids, so easy with technolgy. Using a credit card on line, convenient for you and the crooks. No such thing as internet security. Its a funny thing to think that a $2000 programme on cd, becomes nothing but a coaster when you turn the power off. Would you spend $2000 on a coaster ? The thing is we do.

I use my iPad 2 for 95% of my web browsing, email, news digestion and all other web-related activites now. I only use a mouse/keyboard combo now for photoshop, web development and FS development - but not much else.

Touch was clearly heralded as the way of the future some time ago by Apple, with the iPhone and now the iPad series. I now find it incredibly counter-intuitive to use a laptop sitting on a desk or on my knees, even with a touchpad interface. I keep reaching for the totally natural instinct to manipulate the screen with my fingers. The iPad change the way humans interact with content, and I think very much for the better.

Microsoft acknowledge this, so they are hedging their bets both ways by simply skinning Windows 7 with a touch front-end whilst still allowing legacy apps to function under the skins. It's a necessary and very clever way forward for them, and I totally embrace it.

"Hi Folks, my name is So-and-so from Microsoft.

Now that you have all migrated to Windows 7 and spent billions upon billions of dollars doing so, we will now show you how to make that all superfluous and make you run out and buy biilions of dollars on another microsoft Operating system that more or less does the same thing, because we don't make enough money fixing the current operating systems to a more user friendly environment...........

I love technology, but this thing is out of control.

Time to bring in the big guns of Industry and put these people in their places. We don't need to change things every few years and gouge the public on a regular basis

There will be no Microsoft employee coming to your house and force you to buy a copy of Windows 8 at gunpoint. I'm very sure that Windows 7 still has many years of life and support left. Relax! ;)

Besides: with all the money we shell out for games, FSX add ons and hardware, what's another 50-100 bucks for a new operating system?

"nothing but a coaster when you turn the power off." That is a very hard truth to swallow kinda makes be feel as if maybe I should have a different hobby. I will enjoy it as long as I have electricity. That comment really got me to thinking about things :blink:

My thoughts if I may?

The world has just gone through a very bad economic time and is struggling to recover, the more companies such as Microsoft develope new products that the mass market will buy, the better overall for the world economy.

Thought 2.

My life in computing started back when IBM machines were still green screen and a machine with 3K of memory was quite something, since then I have seen and been part of the wonderful development of computing and embaced it at every turn, to my delight and my earning capacity.

Bring on the future, worry not about the small individual cost, but enjoy the delights of ever new and wonderful things.

I remember when Flight Simulator 5.1 was an MS-DOS program and when they released Flight Simulator 95 that worked in Windows 95 as an MS-DOS port, people were really resistant to that. This is because with FS5.1 people used to use boot disks to start their PC's up and utilize all resources for FS5.1.

FS95 ended up being an improvement in FPS and introduced new features like haze.

There has always been resistance in the FS community but what is always true is people do reluctantly move forward. I can't think of anyone still using FS5.1 with a boot disk in MS-DOS. Everyone now uses Windows and are up to at least FS2004 and FSX today.

I bet in a few years people will come around to new concepts like touchscreens when those things become available to Flight Sim as well. The technology must always move forward in order to survive.

I bet in a few years people will come around to new concepts like touchscreens when those things become available to Flight Sim as well. The technology must always move forward in order to survive.

I have no objection to MS developing and selling new products but it has nothing to do with technology adapting to survive.

Our present methods of using a keyboard and mouse to interact with our computing devices works perfectly well and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

What MS are doing is pandering to that emotion inside all of us, namely it's new and I want it now.

Nothing wrong with that mind you, that's how the vast majority of companies survive.

Bryan.

You can bet that MS Flight is being developed with the new Windows 8 interface in mind. They will most likely market MS Flight as designed or enhanced for Windows 8

We will see in time.

Cheers :D

Maybe, if that is the case hopefully they synchronize their release better than FSX/Vista.

Bryan.

You have to consider that the QWERTY keyboard is actually an antique now. It was developed in the late 1800's to be used on typewriters with typebars. The QWERTY keyboard was designed to slow down a persons speed so as the typebars wouldn't jam.

Today we still use QWERTY when we could use a far more efficient layout. Consider that RSTLNE are the most common used letters and they are not conveniently placed on a QWERTY keyboard. Their is even a semicolon key ( ; ) used on home row and that is a key barely ever used.

Or just move forward and start using touch screens instead.

I to am gonna run windows 7 to the max and not going to get into the touch screen thing, but there is one place in flight sim i really think has it's place. I looked at buying a FMC for the Level D and seen one at the last Avisim conference in Seattle and man it's close to a grande for a good one. I read in Computer Pilot mag that a guy bought a touch screen the same size as a real FMC and he undocked the fmc and slipped it under neath the touch screen. That idea i really like.

I don't think I'll be using any of those features so I'll probably stick with 7 for a while unless they show me something useful. The only reason I'd bother to pick up a copy is so I can use Windows 7 on my laptop instead of Vista.

Sure, I think Windows 8 will of course have a place, but I'll bet not only will it have touch screen ability but also the traditional keyboard facility. I mean can you imagine spending 8 hours a day at your job, in front of a touch screen on the desktop! I mean, come on... try holding your arm up to a screen for more than a couple of minutes and see how tiring it gets. For the new move towards ipads and so forth, sure, absolutely, a perfect combination. But I just can't see how it could possibly work by replacing the qwerty keyboard used with a monitor on a desktop, IMO it just won't happen.

Of course the new interface will support mice and keyboards. They even said so in the first video in this thread (at 1:40). Besides: that video also showed that the traditional desktop is also still part of Windows 8 (at 3:06). So, no need to be afraid of a future shock. ;)

Exactly. The keyboard and mouse is still and essential part of countless things and will be for quite some time. The touch screen tech in terms of flight simulator is already being used in the industry for those who are able to afford or care to use it (can't remember exactly where I came across it at the moment). I think that it will become more readily available on a more wide spread market, but I believe that the keyboard and mouse will be around for many years to come.

I like the idea of using a touch screen to press cockpit controls, this tech is already in windows 7 though, just no one has made use of it, and I doubt they will in windows 8, as someone using touch screens to play simulators has to be a niche inside a niche.

My thoughts on what we have seen of windows 8 are negative, I see a simple Java UI floating over regular windows 7, Java is not efficient for this task and seems like a very odd choice, All it means to me is more resources and ram being used for things I don't need or want on a gaming rig.

Can't say that running a tablet UI over a full OS is the best thing to do for a tablet either, I think the path Apple chose using IOS for mobile touch screen devices and have OSX for desktops/laptops is a better solution.

Thats my 2 cents.

Archived