Automatic Updater?

warwickm

Good Afternoon,

A long time ago somebody suggested incorporating an automated update checker into FTX central, to much acclaim.

I was wondering if this would be possible to do this.

I ask as I look, with a sinking heart, at installing a lot of updates to most of your products I own.

It would make my life easier, particularly with the ever increasing product range, if updates could be automated.

Regards

Warwick

Hey Warwick, what an absolutely fantastic idea. Not sure if JV and the gang can produce something like that, but if it is at all possible it would be fantastic! Lots of other software programs immediately let you know when there is an update available so I can't imagine it would be impossible, but I'm sure if it's not possible then there will be a very good reason why not.

Not going down the auto-update path because it's too complex to code and relies on an Internet connection to be always on, which is not available to many simmers' PCs.

With all due respect, your heart should not be sinking when a developer releases dozens of patches to upgrade all their products, as opposed to never getting updates at all. Each patch is just a few MB in size and takes 4-5 seconds to install.

Oh boy, I am SO glad to hear you say that John. I hate automatic updates with a passion. Windows always seems to mess something up when it updates itself automatically. I turned it off, as I do ALL software that updates itself without my knowledge or express consent.

I've downloaded the latest updates, but I haven't installed them yet. I'm waiting to get some kind of feed back because my system is so weak I'm not sure it can handle the extra eye candy :) For me Stark's and Darrington are a bit on the low side already.

I've downloaded the latest updates, but I haven't installed them yet. I'm waiting to get some kind of feed back because my system is so weak I'm not sure it can handle the extra eye candy :) For me Stark's and Darrington are a bit on the low side already.

All of the eye candy can be disabled in the control panel if need be, including the PeopleFlow guys. The Twin Oaks patch even improves the performance, so there really is no need to hold back.

I never like auto updaters anyway and pretty much always disable such features, I don't mind being notified of newer versions/updates being available but I do like to be the one to decide to download and install updates. That said I had been thinking for a while that given the number of existing and up and coming Orbx products that it would be good if FTX Central was given a bit of a revamp. For example grouping the control panels depending on country and/or region and likewise with the associated pdf files. Sticking with the OP's original idea how about having a simple feature in FTXCentral that tells you what version of a particular region/airfield you have installed? Should that not be a fairly simple case of the software looking into the files that already exist? :)

Not going down the auto-update path because it's too complex to code and relies on an Internet connection to be always on, which is not available to many simmers' PCs.

With all due respect, your heart should not be sinking when a developer releases dozens of patches to upgrade all their products, as opposed to never getting updates at all. Each patch is just a few MB in size and takes 4-5 seconds to install.

I'm happy to download and install updates manually.

My heart leaps when I see patches and updates released.

One thing I would like clarified are patches and updates cumulative or do they always stand alone i.e. include all previous updates?

Thanks

Andy b

Andy ...this is a great question.

I am hoping to post a guide for all the addon airports that gives step-by step instructions on how to install to get "up-to-date"

Obviously if you have a near cuurent version, then the latest patch and ORBXlibs will bring you up to date, but I note users seem to reinstall much more frequently than I would ever want to .. so a definitive guide is in the works.

I must admit I am not an Auto-Update fan. It seams everytime I turn on my computer to do something then other programs want to auto-update something else.

I like the current check the forum for updates and do the update on your own time.

Cheers

Having an 'auto updater' coded into FTX Central, or even just an 'update notifier' would not be worth the effort by developers for people like myself that rarely start FTX Central because my flying interests are mostly in a limited geographical area, thus not requiring any switching. I visit ORBX's site on a daily basis anyway and would see the announcement for any update/patch faster that way then relying on running FTX Central.

A few points:

- the patch dates idea did not fall on deaf ears, because we only have a single patch per product, so it's not needed

- all our patches are cumulative, meaning they roll up all previous patches before them

- in some cases there may be a small incremental patch after a very large one (I.e. SP4.001 which fixes a bug)

- all our patches are found in one single web page - http://fullterrain.com/support.html

- the rule is that if an Orbx product has a patch for it, then you naturally should install it

Trying to complicate things with automation is just not required. Purchase the product, check if there's a patch for it, install the patch. Simple :)

The Twin Oaks patch even improves the performance, so there really is no need to hold back.

Wow, and doesn't it just! My experience has seen a massive improvement on the perfromance. I only hope JV and the gang can improve the same degree of performance when they introduce the patch for the Seattle area...

The Twin Oaks patch even improves the performance, so there really is no need to hold back.

I can verify that, recently patched Stark's, and performance is as good, if not better, than original release. And that is on a very anemic computer:

G50VT-X1 Specifications

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz

Windows Vista OS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1

Hard Drive 320GB (7200RPM)

Screen Size 15.6" HD (1366x768)

RAM 4GB DDR2 667Mhz

Optical Drive DVD SuperMulti with Light Scribe

Direct Disc Labeling Yes

Graphics Card NVIDIA 9800M GS with 512MB GDDR3 VRAM

I do use FPS Limiter and this absolutely fantastic tool.

Archived