Anyone want a Turbine Duke?

6297j

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I was going to give this a miss thinking it would be too similar to the piston Duke with exception of performance, but I have to say havng had a quick read I'm more tempted now that with the upgrade offer and engine failures - this makes it more appealing. Looking forward to hearing what people say about it.  :)

just got it hehe.  Its not bad, not bad at all.  Sounds pretty good.  The config program works well and installed my RXP gauges with no fuss.  Frame rates are no worse than my Lancair (orbx)  Only thing missing is switch sounds for most of the switches,  The manual says its a limitation of FSX but if youve flown the A2A B-17/Spitfire you will know thats not true.   

Thats a minor issue though.

Thumbs up.

Once I find a plane that I really like (ORBX Lancair currently) I'll fly it for a long time so I will pass also even though it looks really nice and I heard many great things about the first version.

On the other hand, if it was a 441 Cessna Conquest with a glass panel - different story.  ;)

Cheers

jja

"It's not Bad"

Thats not really making me feel like buying it, I see you have the JS41 Andy, now thats one hell of a turbo prop, does it sounds as good as the JS, a bit more in-depth review would be gratefully received  ;)

Only thing missing is switch sounds for most of the switches,  The manual says its a limitation of FSX

More like a cop out from Real Air.  Even the default Cessna 172 has switch sounds.

Yea.... because I can hear the switch sounds when I'm flying in a real plane...

Let's see, headset on, you hear ATC, you hear engine in the background, and anyone else in the plane with a mic. 

If this is your only reason not to purchase you're missing out on something excellent!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd buy it right now, but I'm not going to let SWREG rip me off again. I paid an extra 12 bucks for the Duke originally, and got no satisfaction from them OR Realair. Never again I'm afraid.

I'll wait for the DVD in Flight1.

Aye forgot about that one i did, so i think i will pass this would turn out to be an expensive aircraft for me having already purchased the B60 in the past even the upgrade would cost around twenty one or two pounds taking this venture to around fifty English pounds for the job lot.

cheers

Iain

This should be a no-brainer really!

It's ridiculously fast, and one can get in and out of almost everywhere, the perfect plane for the regions and airfields done by ORBX.

plus

it has great instrumentation to brush up on those rusty basic IFR skills, it has a perfect GNS integration for those who refuse to learn that "old" stuff (you'd miss a lot of fun, basic IFR navigation is just great brain training), it has superb turbine engine modeling suitable to learn how to REALLY handle these (plus real consequences if you refuse to learn), and the flight characteristics programmed by some of the best people in this industry.

I'd say that's bloody perfect for all ORBX areas, and at the same time challenging from an aviator's point of view.

I'll buy and fly it as soon as my new system is up and running, which I'm just about to finish installing.

Oh and regarding the switch sounds. Trust me, if two turbines are roaring right next to you, plus you have your headset on (as was mentioned above), the last thing you would hear is switches being flicked!

Cheers,

Markus

Yea.... because I can hear the switch sounds when I'm flying in a real plane...

Let's see, headset on, you hear ATC, you hear engine in the background, and anyone else in the plane with a mic. 

Switch sounds are actually important in a sim and there is a reason they are modelled.  You have no tactile feedback to tell you if you have correctly articulated a switch in a mouse driven software simulation, so you need some feedback to tell you that you've actually done it.  If you have hardware switches then it's not a problem, but flicking a switch on screen needs the feedback.

Nevertheless, the Turbine Duke looks sweet!  Upgrade time methinks  :D

Cheers,

Derek

Adding the cost of the upgrade version to the cost of the original B60 is over $80USD.  My most expensive A2A aircraft was cheaper than that with the Accusim pack.

Now I am also torn, that right there killed it for me.  I can't justify paying out $35 AUD for an upgrade, can't remember what I paid for the base B60, but as Bruce said, it puts the total price way up there.  I'll wait for more feedback I guess.  ;)

Adding the cost of the upgrade version to the cost of the original B60 is over $80USD.  My most expensive A2A aircraft was cheaper than that with the Accusim pack.

You complain about that yet look at all that scenery you bought...  80$ is a fraction of what you paid for in your sig...  ::)

You expect to get a (practically) brand new plane for free?  $80 is cost for two separate planes.  Each have their own fde, their own sounds, their own custom VC, different exteriors...Have you even visited their web site?  It's not just a turbine model upgrade LOL!

Switch sounds are actually important in a sim and there is a reason they are modelled.  You have no tactile feedback to tell you if you have correctly articulated a switch in a mouse driven software simulation, so you need some feedback to tell you that you've actually done it.  If you have hardware switches then it's not a problem, but flicking a switch on screen needs the feedback.

The Mark I eyeball?  That's how I get my feedback!

Yes very good they really go the second mile in nearly all respects.  However they do fall down in one respect - no 2d gauges/views that can be undocked and moved to a second monitor for easier manipulation as F1 have done with their equally fine Mustang (apart from the RXP 430/530 if installed).  Big disappointment in my view as a it is trend now for developers to ignore users who fly with multi monitors.  Strange becuase they have gone to so much trouble to accommodate other user subsets such as those with the RXP Garmins.

Bruceb

I choose not to buy the C340 knowing this was coming out.  I have a fair amount of Carenado planes but the more I thought about how I like to sim, the more this plane has its merits.  STOL, Fast and can climb.  Someone earlier said its perfect for Orbx scenery and I agree.

I've got nothing but good things to say about it.

A nice Rockwell Commander 690B would work great for looking at scenery, one of the few twins with the wing on top  ;D

Cheers

Martin

That's why I fly the BN-2 Islander so much these days  ;)

Yeah, been thinking about the BN-2 Islander for just that reason, can't see  the scenery with most low wing twins and I don't think anyone is planning on building a Rockwell Commander 690B anytime soon, although like the BN-2 it would be a great aircraft for seeing the scenery and getting their in a hurry  ;D

Cheers

Martin

Posted Image

I love the piston Duke but having some problems with the Turbine, I'll wait to pass judgment until I get a little more flight time, only about 2 hours in the log book  :-

Cheers

Martin

I have the Flight one DVD. I purchased the upgrade but cannot get it to install. Have pinged support but not yet heard back

Both my original and the upgrade were downloads and everything worked fine. Sorry to hear about the DVD but I'm sure Flight1 or RealAir will get it solved for you. The one thing I notice about the turbine and I think it was mentioned here, is that during cruise when you pull back the power the sound doesn't seem to change at all. The flight dynamic and gauges responsed but the sound doesn't which really is a show stopper  :'(

Cheers

Martin

Martin, I don't have any real turbine experience but I think that the main part of the sound is coming from the props itself. Therefore, their blade angle is one big "sounding" thing (change the rpm if you like) while the actual combustion in the turbines just mixes with the winds at that speed and might only change a little when going for slight throttle changes. If it changes, the volume will do while the pitch of the sound will somehow remain, leaving your ears "unimpressed" since you might interpret the actual power output more by the pitch of a sound, not so much from its volume.

The props have both, volume and pitch sounds, a lot of them I think.

Archived