Saiktek owners, I need your opinions. X-52 vs Pro Flight Yoke?

T-Bone

I have been using the X-52 stick and throttle for about 3 years now trouble free, and I like. Recently though I have been thinking about buying their Pro flight yoke and throttle quadrant for more realism. However I have some concerns that that I will be taking a two steps backwards, and introducing lots of frusteration. I have done a little research on this but most reveiws and comments are old and possibly dated.

My big concern is this Pro flight doesn't come with any specific rudder control. Does this mean I am flying without a funtional rudder? Or is it sort of functional even though I dont really control it. My X-52 might not be realistic in this regard , but at least I have a rudder by twisting the stick. If the pro flight does not have rudder control then I assume turns will be the long lumbering type, and tight tuns can't be done. It seems like turning and taxing on the ground is not an issue and the aircraft turns fine. I know the rubber pedals are optional, but I'm not sure I want to spend an extra $170 on them. Are they needed?

My next concern is regarding the software or programming. It sounded like you used to have to mess with the Saitek software to get the yoke to function properly (something to do with the registery), and that it had issues rembember your programmed buttons. Every so often you would have to re-program them. This sounds like nothing but trouble, especially for a computer idiot like myself.

That is basically it, unless there are issues I have overlooked. What should I do? Thanks for your time.

Depends what you like when it comes to flying I guess.. I do not have the yoke, The X52pro has the twist rudder, and although it is not "true to life" and I have rudder pedals, I fly with the twist rudder generally. as far as programming the pro is concerned, I stick with the settings it loads with and then program the buttons and switches to suit in the sim. As I said, it's a matter of personal preference, but I can tell you that I would not fly any other way. I am sure some of the purists are going to tear this post apart, but for me, it's the way I like it.  Teecee.

i have both, while you can use the auto rudder, for the best realisim you are going to need some rudder pedals eventually.  the yoke works well and i haven't had any problems with it.

as far as programming it, i am using FSUIPC to do this, but you can use the fsx controls settings with out a drama, infact i don't use the saitek software, never even installed it.  the only time i can see you would want to use the saitek software is when you want to use the mode switch to program extra switch controls.

i haven't used the mode switch since i brought it and most likly will not in the future.  if you need some help setting it up in FSUIPC, i did a tutorial on another site but i could grab it and post it here for you

if you want to increase your realisim then go for it, it is a nice piece of kit for the price.

Jason

Doh!!! I have been flying this way so long I forgot about the FSX auto rudder option, and it solves that problem. I guess my only concern now then is if there are still software issues.

What I like about my X-52 stick is that it is basically plug and play, and just a matter of assigning the buttons in FSX. Is the Saitek Pro flight Yoke also this easy? Or if not is anybody having software issues with these still, things like centering being off of centre, and having to edit some registery so you can calibrate the yoke, and having to re-program your buttons every so often because it forgets (so to speak)?

I just don't want waste time and money on something that has bugs and causes frusteration.

Jason your post showed up just as I making this one. Thanks for the info, I will let you know. It sounds like the Saiktek software isn't that great so I may aviod it if I buy one. 

I have to turn my PSU of at the back to get the Yoke to centre.  A soft restart or one that just involves the front button the PC doesn't properly re-set the Yoke to centre on mine.  And make sure you don't have any buttons set for view changes - BEWARE the phantom button press!

I have to turn my PSU of at the back to get the Yoke to centre.  A soft restart or one that just involves the front button the PC doesn't properly re-set the Yoke to centre on mine.  And make sure you don't have any buttons set for view changes - BEWARE the phantom button press!

I have been using my Saitek yoke ever since they came on the market, and I have NEVER had any of these problems. It has always worked great for me. :)

We sell a number of these products, and here is my experience with these:

1. Saitek X-52: Very solid joystick and throttle. Have had very few problems with these from customers that have purchased.

2. Saitek Yoke: Better materials used than in the CH Flight or CH Eclipse Yoke. The Saitek Yokes do have a higher return rate however. Seems to be a lot more problems with centering of the yoke (as discussed above) and also more recently, issues with the LCD display blacking out and not functioning. You can plug and play these are just assign functions in FSX. This is probably the simplest way. The included software is not needed. The same goes with the CH Products yokes. I always recommend to customers NOT to install the CH Control manager software unless you have a specific need to do so. CH products do have a lower return or problem rate in my experience.

3. While rudder pedals are the ideal solution, you can use the autorudder option. Also, you could still use the rudder axis on your x-52 joystick for that purpose only, but that is going to be a very awkward way of controlling rudder with the yoke connected as well. If you had a third hand/arm, it might be manageable :)

You can also use keyboard keys for basic rudder control, but its not realistic, however its certainly possible and viable.

Hope that helps!

If you have any other questions, PM me or call me :)

is anybody having software issues with these still, things like centering being off of centre, and having to edit some registery so you can calibrate the yoke, and having to re-program your buttons every so often because it forgets (so to speak)?

I still have calibration problems intermittently with my Saitek yoke. It only forgets button mappings when you unplug it, but you have to unplug it (and perform registry voodoo) to fix the calibration problem. Also one of the sliders on the quadrant has become glitchy (the throttle one, most-used) and the LCD backlight flickers manically so has tape stuck over it permanently. These are all problems that other (though not all) Saitek users report, so they must in some sense reflect inherent problems with the hardware. My view is, the 'Pro Flight' branding is nothing but marketing spin: if you accept you are buying something cheap and cheerful (regardless of the price) it will do the job okay most of the time.

funny i have never had any problems what so ever, as i said i use fsuipc for my calibration, and that has not fogotten anything,  i have a bit of noise on one of the throttles, but the filtering in fsuipc fixes that

I also never had any problems (except I couldn't get the mode switch to work with FSX), although I'd like to know how to do the FSUIPC filtering.  I was blessed to get a fully functional (used) yoke.  Never had to mess with the registry and never had the phantom button press.  Seems like it's a hit-or-miss thing.

Hey guys, I've been flying with the x52 pro for about six months and probably out on a limb here, but would like to throw it in the bin! I have to constantly recalibrate the thing, have had little support from Saitek, have had registry problems, am unable to completely wipe any of the registry thus preventing me from uninstalling. On top of this it is oversensitive in the vertical axis and thstick is like a limp fish... apart from that it's brilliant  >:(  For what it's worth, if flying biggies like my A320 or 737 I prefer to have auto rudder, as for light aircraft I prefer rudder control.

For what it's worth, I own an X-52, Saaitek yoke and a PFC yoke.

Of the three, I'd say the PFC is the best by a country mile, followed by the X-52 and then the saitek stuff.

They are all preetty functional, but if you ever get your hands on a beautifully crafted piece of flight sim equipment like the PFC yoke, your opinion would be the same, I'm sure.

Frank

Hi Guys, hopefully you may find this useful. please find a guide to setting up the saitek flight yoke and throttle.

1. Get FSUIPC for the version of Flight simulator you are using, this is a far better way (and easier so i am told) way of setting up the yoke and throttle.

2.  Open FSUIPC and select the axis tab, this will open up the axis tabs. i prefer to use FSUIPC for handling the axis over the Flight sim axis control. personal preference.  if you do use FSUIPC for all your axis control from you yoke and throttle (and pedals too) delete all the FS assignements in the controls menu of FS.  also make sure you select the filter tick box in the axis calibration.

Posted Image

axis tab in FSUIPC

3. Once you have the axis tab open in FSUIPC you can then select the axis you want to assign by clicking on the rescan button and then move the Axis you want to assign.  then select Send to FSUIPC, or use FS control. i use the FSUIPC option as it allows you to filter it further on in the configuration setup. Then select from the drop down menu want you want to control with that axis, i.e. pulling or pushing the yoke to control the elevators.  then continue to set the other axis you want to control with the yoke and throttle.

Posted Image

Setting axis on throttle to control engine 2

You can also set a general axis control, which is what i do, i set the elevator and aerolons, throttle, mixture and prop pitch as default settings, then i set the specific axis assignments for each aircraft (i.e. level-d 767, Boeing 737 etc)  to do this make sure you have the aircraft that you want to set up loaded in the sim, then select the aircraft specific check box in the axis tab, this will ask you if you want to save the settings so far, click yes, it will then ask you if you want to apply the settings to this aircraft, i also select yes, as this adds the default (what you have just set up) to the aircraft.  you can then go and change the axis settings just for this particular aircraft.  i use two throttle quadrants so i set up the spoiler, engine 1, engine 2 and flaps axis.

when you are setting up the flaps and spoilers you MUST, i repeat MUST select the send direct to FSUIPC not the FS axis check box if you do not the flaps and spoilers will not work.

4. To set up the reverse thrust you will need to select the button+switch tab. Then select aircraft specific tick box, as you want to make this specific to the aircraft you are setting up.  it will ask you to select the button you wish to program, to set reverse thrust for engine one, pull the lever you set before as engine one throttle control into the red zone on the throttle quadrant, this selects the button in this zone.  it will then show the button number that has been selected.  on the right hand side of the window under the control to be sent when selected dialog, select 'Throttle 1 decrease" from the drop box.  Under that you will see a control to be repeated while held tick box, select that box.  then under that in the control sent when button released drop down select "Throttle 1 cut".  that is it you have now set the reverse thrust for that engine.  now repeat the above for all the engines that require reverse thrust.  you can set the reverse thrust for turboprops in exactly the same way

Posted Image

reverse thrust settings

5.  Now go to the joystick calibration tab, here you will set the axis limits and calibrate the axis you have set up earlier.  Go through the tabs by pressing the arrows, there is a brief description on what controls are controled under each page.  to set the min and maximum ranges of the control, press the control all the way in, (you will either get a positive or negative number depending on the axis you are setting) press the "set" button under the matching number (if it is a positive number it will be the set button on the right of the axis, negative is to the left) the middle "set" button is for the middle of the control, or the neutral zone, this should be zero.  this is relative easy for the control surfaces, the flaps/spoilers and throttle controls are a little different.  again make sure you select the filter box here, this will help smooth out the input spikes that can happen.

to set the spoilers/flaps (remember how i said you must select FSUIPC for it to work earlier? here is where it comes into play) you must move the lever all the way to the top and select the "set"  button on the right, then move the lever all the way to the bottom (don't pull the lever in to the reverse zone) then select the left "set" button.  for the flaps/spoilers you will need to select the reverse check button. what this does is reverses the input from the axis, so when the lever is at the top the flaps/spoilers are up, and at the bottom the flaps/spoilers are deployed, fully extended. see below

Posted Image

flaps and spoilers axis settings

6.  Now for the Throttles.  you  need to set the throttle axis as follows, if you don't you can get some weird results.  same procedure applies, just slightly different.  set the max and min ranges for the throttles as above, but for the middle or neutral zone you need to set this as the lowest setting(which will be the same as the left number).  this ensures that there is no reverse thrust zone set on the axis. it gives you more accurate idle position for the throttles and allows you to use the red reveres thrust zone on the throttle quadrant. you can set a reverse zone on the axis, but it is allot more difficult to use in practice.  i find this method works much better and allot more reliably.  make sure that the exclude THROTTLEnSET check box is unticked, otherwise you cannot set the axis

Posted Image

Throttle settings

i hope this has helped alittle, if you need more clarification or  some help, pm me i should be able to help

Archived