YGFN v1.2 problem

Hi gents,

I seem to have a problem at YGFN, not sure if it's a mesh problem (I have FS Genesis installed) or if it's an airport problem?

Posted Image

Posted Image

The runway seems to be imposed over another one down below in the trench.

Cheers

Jack

Airport designed and tested around 76m mesh as recommended on page 5 in the user guide. If you try the 10m mesh this will be fine on smaller fields but for for larger airports with airport facilities files specifying the height of the runway this may not always be the same as that produced by the mesh. Hence some airports in a hole and some on a hill. If a compromise can be reached between the 10m mesh and the 76m I will include it in the next build but no guarantees this will work with Genesis.

John Ross

Hi guys,

that doesn't look like a mesh add-on or mesh resolution problem to me. Instead, it seems that there is a flatten file along the length of the runway at a different elevation than the AFCAD elevation. Maybe it's a conflict between two different AFCADs or the airport elevation was changed without adding a duplicate AFCAD into Scenery\World\scenery?

Cheers, Holger

YGFN is John Ross's.  I have flown there at 10m Mesh Setting (Holgermesh) a few times testing.  It looked like that once but when I reloaded it was fine so I thought I just had a bad load.

As posted: I saw it once but it disappeared.

Well, I've obviously got a similar system to Mark. I just loaded it up now to test with the mesh at 76m, and before I could blink it's alright again, even at the 10m mesh setting. Sorry for stirring things up on this one.

Thanks

Jack

The latest version of FSGenesis for the USA has removed the cliff and gulch effect.  This was the severe limitation of version 1, and for that reason I stopped using it.  You might recall KSEA was on a plateau with a cliffed edge that was so unrealistic that I gave it away.

Until the FSG Rest of the World turns up, I stongly suggest that you discontinue its use.  Holger's mesh available from this site serves extremely well and is very accurate.

Hi all,

For what it's worth.

I just had the same experience as Holy Cheese. Flew Lismore to Grafton and encountered the same phenomenon. The runway and taxiway were floating above a trench--while below one could see what seemed to be a gravel runway.

In reaction to seeing this discussion, I rebooted FSX and returned to Grafton. Everything looks just fine.

Then, curious, I reloaded the flight and took off from YLIS and (cheating) moved to YGFN. Aha, the oddity reappeared!

The airport and runway are slightly above the surrounding countryside. And the lower level (with the gravel runway) looks to be about the same level as the countryside. You can see all this in Holy Cheese's screenshots.

Then shut FSX down and restarted the simulator at Grafton. Again, there is no trench...all seems right with the world. (The airport and runway are still on a "plateau" above the surrounding countryside. But there is no evidence of the subterranean gravel runway.) So, at the moment, we have no problem if one initiates FSX from YGFN but a trench if one initiates from YLIS.

This using FSGenesis mesh. (76m mesh with FSX set to register 10m mesh. No change if that parameter is reset to 76m.)

Hope this helps,

Mike MacKuen

Hi all,

Just to double-check, I repeated the above procedures using Holger's 76m mesh (overlaying Justin's). No great surprise to see that exactly the same phenomenon reappears. Everything is fine when initializing FSX at YGFN. But, repeating from YLIS we get the reappearance of the looming trench.

Mike

(Both Justin and Holger seem to use very similar processes in producing their mesh. In the Grafton area, the results look to be indistinguishable. YGFN lies on a low plateau with shallow sloped sides.)

The plateau is due to the flightsim limitation of:  ALL AFCADS are FLAT.  In undulating terrain you have the choice of digging a trench, building a plateau or not using an AFCAD.  Anyone like to start lobbying ACEs for terrainhugging runways/taxiwasys, etc for FSXI?  I was certainly hoping for them for FSX.

The FS world was still flat in FS9 - it's now a sphere in FSX - we're way past ready for the next step.

Hi guys,

actually, there's a bug in the AFCAD file for YGFN: the runway elevation is set to 63 feet yet the default elevation is 110ft. Since FSX will always work with the elevation it reads first it means that the two elevations clash. If the change to 63ft was intentional (perhaps to avoid the plateau) then a duplicate of the AFCAD would have to be placed in Scenery\World\scenery to be read before the default AFCAD. In addition, a flatten exclude and a new flatten at 63ft would be required to override the default flatten at 110ft.

Thus, either change the runway elevation and the airport reference point in jar_grafton_AFX.bgl to 110ft (the two start positions still are at 110ft), which is the easier option, or change the start positions to 63ft, add a default flatten exclude plus a new flatten at 63ft, and place a duplicate of jar_grafton_AFX.bgl in \Scenery\World\scenery (the new version of ADE has an option to create the duplicate automatically).

Either approach will get rid of the trench below the runway. The surrounding plateau would require additional work with sloped flattens in SBuilderX.

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger

Yes, spotted that a few days ago and a revised AFX file is in the next freeware release or hotfix. I have gone for putting the default alt back at 110 which means at least one end of the runway is the correct height. In real life the runway slopes off to around 60 feet hence the drop off at one end but it is just not a problem enough to start changing the default ground with sloping flattens to bring it up gradually to meet the end of the runway. I kind of like it the way it is so unless it presents anyone a problem I will leave well alone.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

can somebody help me with this problem. I have the same issue that the airfield looks like a carrier platform but I'am not so familiar to change the parameters. Thx in advance for your support!

Rgds

Mark

Hello Mark

The Freeware 1.2 has been replaced by OZx 1.0 which can be downloaded at the new aussie freeware site at www.aussiex.org. This will have the latest file for YGFN and should sort the problem. If not do re-post at that site forum for support.

Thanks

John Ross

Hi John,

I already installed the OZx 1.0 airports but I still have the problem with the "carrier airfield". I only installed Holgers Mesh.....but anyway thx.....I repost ot on the other forum as well.

Rgds

Mark

Archived