Southern Rockies

ShawnG

No,  I'm not jumping the gun (not really anyway)  I know NRM and NZ south are next, and I will be purchasing both, and I'm still very much enjoying PFJ.  However,  I had a long look at Google Earth last night and it struck me that the rockies cover an absolutely huge chunk of real estate.  If you take the northern Rockies southern border and look south, in order to cover the rockies in their entirety you will have to finish Idaho and Western Montana,  Wyoming, Colorado, and parts of Utah and Northern New Mexico.  If you cover all that turf, we're looking at one of the most massive FTX regions of all, more than double the size of NRM potentially.  It also leaves a large chunk of Desert land of nevada/Utah between the rockies and the future sites of FTX NorCal and SoCal.

Of course it's much too early for .Kmz files and all that, I was just wondering if there was any sort of rough idea as to how this will take shape?  do you really plan on covering all the rest of the rockies in one product? and are there any plans for an NA red for the American Southwest as well in a couple years.  Thanks for any info/guesses.

I've been having this same conversation with a friend ever since the kmz for Northern Rockies came out (the beta one), and we came to the same conclusion. If the Southern Rockies was done in its entirety, it will be a huge area, and file. I'd be interested in the answer too.

I'd be happy if it joined PNW at the south end and covered Crater Lake National Park, which is just outside the PNW area. Such a beautiful spot apparently, and I hope it gets covered soon.

I think the further south they go the more time consuming it will be for these regions. The south includes very large urban areas that require modeling. San Francisco and Bay Area, Los Angelas. Denver, Las Vegas and Phoenix. In general the further south you go the more population density so there will be a lot more modeling involved.

There are also a few aircraft boneyards in the south which would be really cool to model. Bunch of old planes sitting in the desert.

USA is a rather large undertaking but it is cool that they are taking it on.

I would imagine, Orbx would like to see all these areas complete, but I guess the bottom line is, having the finances, resources and man power to do it while trying to stay in business whilst being stumped by all the piraters and file sharers out there.

I guess, if all these file sharers had bought the product in the first place instead of stealing, we would probably have most of these sceneries already and at least some on the not too distant horizon  :-[

I would imagine, Orbx would like to see all these areas complete, but I guess the bottom line is, having the finances, resources and man power to do it while trying to stay in business whilst being stumped by all the piraters and file sharers out there.

I guess, if all these file sharers had bought the product in the first place instead of stealing, we would probably have most of these sceneries already and at least some on the not too distant horizon  :-[

Correct, on both counts.

the boundary for NRM includes most of northwest Montana and the "skinny part" of Idaho, but not the whole state.  It covers Glacier Natl Park, so it has my needs covered at least.  NRM though is mostly Alberta and BC Canada.

There was a comment about it being more difficult to cover built-up areas and I'm sure that's true.  the Rockies themselves until you get to Denver though are pretty sparsely populated,  wyoming is one of our lowest population states, so that wouldn't really be a huge issue.  I would say that PNW is more heavily populated than any of this area certainly. 

Of course my own preferences are thus:  Bag the whole lot and do Alaska, Yukon, and NWT instead  but that's not where the big money is, I suppose

Ok, I figured they would get Idaho pretty small state as they go for the west. I was hoping to see Sun Valley covered. I was stationed in Great Falls with the USAF and my sister lives in Sun Valley. Made the drive many times and was looking forward to flying over that area. I will be looking forward to SRM to finish off that area. I still have a lot of PFJ to get too and NRM will be a huge area to explore.

Oh well, I guess we aren't even going to get a tiny clue as to what sort of area this is going to cover. They seem to be playing their cards pretty close to their chests on this one.

I'm very surprised John didn't say much about it, he's normally very forthcoming. I guess we'll just have to wait until they have decided just how much content they will include.

Personally I love the mountain flying, with the beautiful views, and lakes. I've spent most of my PNW time up in the British Columbia area. I'm assuming the Northern Rockies, and Southern Rockies, are also quite mountainous, so I should enjoy them all. Don't like the big cities much, so I hope there aren't too many of those in the new products  ;)

Hi Tony,

I'm very surprised John didn't say much about it, he's normally very forthcoming. I guess we'll just have to wait until they have decided just how much content they will include.

Since we don't know the coverage area and feature set yet there's nothing to share at this point. Once Northern Rockies is released and a couple of service packs for existing regions we'll start the scoping process.

Cheers, Holger

Of course my own preferences are thus:  Bag the whole lot and do Alaska, Yukon, and NWT instead  but that's not where the big money is, I suppose

I would love to see the Yukon done.  What a great place. :D

And I would looove to see Elsemere Island done up. But maybe that's just me.

I would love to see the Yukon done.  What a great place. :D

And I would looove to see Elsemere Island done up. But maybe that's just me.

Now were talking Buffalo Bill territory. Fly some of Buffalo Airways operations. That would be cool.

Also CS just anounced there new B737-100 and B737-200 and they said they will include a Canadian North B737-200 with their livery. Another great aircraft for that area.

Hi Tony,

Since we don't know the coverage area and feature set yet there's nothing to share at this point. Once Northern Rockies is released and a couple of service packs for existing regions we'll start the scoping process.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger, thanks for the reply. You just shared the information that answered the original question really. Although no one knows what the coverage area will ultimately be, the fact that you said you "don't know the coverage area and feature set yet", is answer enough. I think even the original poster realised it might be a bit too early for any decisions to have been made, but it's nice to know that fact. Also by reading the other posts, you can get an idea of what your customers are thinking. Which of course can be taken into account when you and the team get to the point where you make the decisions.

Once again, thank you.

Archived