Coming Soon - YMLT Launceston for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Great choice of airport and the quality and attention to detail looks great!

I just wish we could move away from opaque window textures (at least that seems to be the case here) at least on the important parts of the terminal and the tower, it gives the otherwise great work a dated feel to it.

11 hours ago, Maelmoor said:

Great choice of airport and the quality and attention to detail looks great!

I just wish we could move away from opaque window textures (at least that seems to be the case here) at least on the important parts of the terminal and the tower, it gives the otherwise great work a dated feel to it.

you may change your mind when you see it up close, full PBR textures with natural and realistic wethering, I focus on what the pilot sees I could have done some made up interior of the tower but I didn't get access to that area, It's a flight sim, not a passenger sim or an air traffic control sim, I fly online with at least 80 pilots and not one of them was bothered with the interiors, my focus is airside and what you see when you taxi to your parking spot. Some airport terminals where they have large glass facades , like Boulder ,yes the interior is a cucial part, and I have done that, but Launceston had little to gain from that treatment, It's always a judgement call, there are plenty of big international airports being done with fantastic modelling of the internal terminal area. Lonnys character was it's beautifull old weathered buildings and if you notice the sharp airlines hangar has enough glass for 10 hangars.

cheers

• Like 4

On 1/15/2023 at 10:25 AM, Ken Hall said:

I have noimage.thumb.jpeg.c80b3fa4b44fe6c1dc3c9459d7a1cb2e.jpeg Idea, something very old though I imagine, there were no members around when taking photos to ask, there is a small monument just below 

Thats the prop missing from my Avatar. Now I know

where to find it.:D Great work Ken, sadly I,m still with

P3dv5 ,I just don't get the time to sim lately.

Well done again.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

marked closer to the parking spot

(shot was actual of LST from FR24 ) The reason I asked is to be able to spot the approp bay when taxiing in.....hard to see and then turn, especially at night!

ps...I'd love to know what else you're working on, as the quality is superb

Edited by Transair
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AMD72 said:

Looks great Ken - looking forward to flying into Lonny with you one day soon and checking out your detailed work in 'virtual' person.

Have you heard of Massive Sim, it’s a discord channel where pilots from everywhere join online flights, all good fun, not too serious, flights range from bush flying, warbirds, scenic tours, usually pick a country and fly GA , were currently touring GB and  flying Beavers, lots of very experienced pilots to help with any tips . Saturday is usually reserved for airliners on longer flights, something for everyone. You would be very welcome.

cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Have you heard of Massive Sim, it’s a discord channel where pilots from everywhere join online flights, all good fun, not too serious, flights range from bush flying, warbirds, scenic tours, usually pick a country and fly GA , were currently touring GB and  flying Beavers, lots of very experienced pilots to help with any tips . Saturday is usually reserved for airliners on longer flights, something for everyone. You would be very welcome.

I have Ken ... but I heard the guy that comes up with the bush and warbird trips is a little crazy ;);)  ...    (psst - its me, Andrew :) )

2 hours ago, AMD72 said:

I have Ken ... but I heard the guy that comes up with the bush and warbird trips is a little crazy ;);)  ...    (psst - its me, Andrew :) )

Crazy is correct, paying Microsoft for extreme weather along our flight, Canyon runs With crazy pilots. All good reasons to spend more time simming :rollmyeyes:

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2023 at 11:23 PM, Ken Hall said:

you may change your mind when you see it up close, full PBR textures with natural and realistic wethering, I focus on what the pilot sees I could have done some made up interior of the tower but I didn't get access to that area, It's a flight sim, not a passenger sim or an air traffic control sim, I fly online with at least 80 pilots and not one of them was bothered with the interiors, my focus is airside and what you see when you taxi to your parking spot. Some airport terminals where they have large glass facades , like Boulder ,yes the interior is a cucial part, and I have done that, but Launceston had little to gain from that treatment, It's always a judgement call, there are plenty of big international airports being done with fantastic modelling of the internal terminal area. Lonnys character was it's beautifull old weathered buildings and if you notice the sharp airlines hangar has enough glass for 10 hangars.

cheers

I appreciate your reply and explanation of your viewpoint, it's one of those things that really splits the crowd, for some it's not important at all, for others it's really important. In the end it's down to personal preference, for me it adds immersion and also enhances night lightning etc, it's the part of a full airport experience. 

With that said, I look forward to get YMLT!

• Like 2

I've been checking out the detail in YMLT close-up in the 407 in VR ... just amazing!

I rarely buy airports for MSFS as I'm not usually likely to visit more than once, but I make an exception for any Tassie scenery as I love seeing places I'm familiar with in real life being represented in the sim, especially in VR, it's almost like actually being there!

I also installed FSLTL after I saw you suggest it someone else on this thread. What a difference it makes being to see the actual aircraft with correct liveries, it does add another level of realism to the sim. :)

image.thumb.png.c462f5a90264353e151c61241c3f81ee.png

• Like 3

Hi Ken,

Impressive work with YMLT and I enjoy flying in and out of the airport, apologies for being nit-picky but I was just wondering if you plan to update the apron and taxiway to have a more accurate representation.

I have looked at Google satellite view of the apron and taxiway and have found a few missing markings, inaccuracies and more not listed in the key issues below.

Aircraft type writing on the stand lines are missing (this one confused me as I was not sure which line to stop at).

There are also some ground level issues as some spots have dips in it.

I just thought I would let you share my view on YMLT as some may have the same and hope that it is addressed.

Also great work with the modelling and texturing of the buildings especially the sharp hangar and freight terminal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam777 said:

ircraft type writing on the stand lines are missing (this one confused me as I was not sure which line to stop at).

This was mentioned in testing but the most up to date imagery we could find showed there are no aircraft type markings at the stands. This shouldn't be a problem when no airbridges are there as alignment isn't so critical. Aircraft are always marshalled in so for authenticity you should have a marshall crossing arms where he/she wants you to stop. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Dow said:

This was mentioned in testing but the most up to date imagery we could find showed there are no aircraft type markings at the stands. This shouldn't be a problem when no airbridges are there as alignment isn't so critical. Aircraft are always marshalled in so for authenticity you should have a marshall crossing arms where he/she wants you to stop. 

I agree with what you have to say and understand that it isn't really critical. Also, here are some photos of type markings at the stands.

image (17).png

image (16).png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Orbx locked this topic