Coming Soon - YMLT Launceston for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

This looks amazing Ken, such beautiful and detailed work. I'm often flying from my home airport YDPO to YMLT and I cant wait to see this when I arrive there, so much better than the boring default airport! ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deanna said:

This looks amazing Ken, such beautiful and detailed work. I'm often flying from my home airport YDPO to YMLT and I cant wait to see this when I arrive there, so much better than the boring default airport! ^_^

Thanks Deanna, I lived at Latrobe for years and was going to do YDPO then got distracted with the PNG stuff, I love Lonny top place to fly into ,the hills around are awesome, often fly St Helens to Lonny as my relaxing flight, Ben Lomond is a nice landmark along the route. Agree with the Avalon web version of YDPO, top notch work.

Hope Lonny doesn't dissapoint

cheers

Ken

• Like 2

Hello Team,

What a beauty Ken.  I have missed this gem from Orbx. Had it with P3D and it was awesome. Great work indeed. Some of my early stomping grounds, and it looks amazing. Thank you for the heads up mate. Keen as mustard for this release.

Regards

Sam

• Like 2

Ah, yes the monument! I didn't notice that before. I can pull a few tricks with my photo editor and enlarge it so I can read it when I have a few minutes. I'll post what it says here when I get the results but I don't think I'll be able to do it today.

Whatever this prop was to, I think it was likely a single-engine plane... Oh wait, it could have been a P38 prop! It kind off has that thin profile for the twin-engine P-38 lightning, no?

Rich

41 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

so the mast was from a shipwreck but no clues on the Prop, you should be able to read the writing on that plaque in the sim:)

AH! Thanks for that! I don't own this addon so I couldn't read it that way but that's good to know!

29 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Ken, this must be a different Toroa, because according to the plaque the other was already wrecked in 1916.

That'll teach me to read , who new there was more than one, might try and track down the shipwrecked one

cheers

• Like 1

Fascinating. One of the great things about Flight Sim is that you find out about wonderful parts of the world  you would never even have heard of otherwise.

Don't know how far it spreads but we have a 'quiz' show called University Challenge in the UK.

One question last week was along the lines of 'where in Australia would you find Launceston'.

Made my day. I got one right :lol:

All the best,

John

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't understand something; how does this have anything to do with the propeller? LOL. I know it's not the ship's 'screw'. I guess they used this old prop simply to gain attention to the marker about the Toroa. Still, that prop seems so familiar but I don't know why...

@John Burgess: I agree!

I, for one, must confess that I did terrible in grammar school and high school when it came to History and Geography. However, when I started in the flight sim hobby with FSX around late 2010, I became much more knowledgeable on both subjects. The flight sim hobby would make me ask questions that I would then go and research. 

If I had half the understanding of Geography, (and history) back in my early school years that I have now, I would have passed those courses with a stellar grade, (instead of the poor grades that I did get).

I have no idea how most schools in the US teach those courses these days, (or if they even teach them at all!), but I think the application of a flight simulator-like tool would greatly help to make the subjects more interesting and memorable for the students.

Back in 4th grade to 8th grade grammar school, (for me, that spanned 66' to 70'), we had a class that was called "Social Studies", which study lifestyles and traditions from around the world.

I don't know if they even teach that course anymore but I'm sure if they do, it's probably called something else. Anyway, that class always fascinated me and it was one of the few courses that I did well in. However, the teachers didn’t understand how I could do so well in Social Studies and so poorly in Geography.

Personally, I think it had to do with the way the teachers approached each subject. I remember that the Social Studies teacher had a unique and interesting way of introducing each of the locations she taught about. It made a difference, I’m sure.

FWIW,

Rich

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Here´s the proof, not much movement on the apron...:

9EQZVHm.jpg

Thanks for that shot, it is tempting to place a whole crowd of people to add life, we have an amazing library of scanned people, but I prefer to keep it real, the day I was driven around to take photos, there was literally no one on the apron until an aircraft taxied to the gate. I recommend FSLTL for traffic, the ai aircraft are superb and each aircraft has lots own sounds, lights and while parked workers and support vehicles appear, for me the advantage of this rather than placing a permanent static aircraft is that it becomes dynamic, never the same, FSLTL uses real time traffic from flight radar, there is a few minutes delay, but to have real live traffic gives  the airport that authenticity that’s lost when we see the same static aircraft in the same place all the time, with the same wooden people who are always in the same place. For me Dynamic feels better.

FSLTL is free, download using the Fly by wire installer, all your airports will come to life.

cheers

Ken

• Like 6

5 hours ago, wingclip said:

Thanks for that tip Ken! I'm going to check it out but it sounds like it could be resource intensive. Have you seen any indication of that?

Rich

FSLTL is very easy on frames there are many you Tube videos to help

9 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

with the same wooden people who are always in the same place.

Though we all are looking for the famous person in red: Her dress would be inappropriate, given Lonny´s usual temperatures.

But a lawn mower could fit...

Just now, Stillwater said:

Though we all are looking for the famous person in red: Her dress would be inappropriate, given Lonny´s usual temperatures.

But a lawn mower could fit...

what is it with you guys and the lady in red, maybe in an update in the RFDS hanger or close even sitting near the clubhouse, might work

• Haha 1