MSFS aircraft flight times

Aussieflyer38

I never bother with how many flight hours I have logged, but I just noticed today (don't ask me why), I had a look at my log and noticed that longer flight times are logged incorrectly.

I didn't bother checking them all, but I have three in excess of sixty minutes flight time that were recorded as twenty something minutes. Just thought this a bit weird, tried to think back as to if I did something to interrupt the flight recorded. Today I did a new flight YMML to YSSY, in the Vision Jet, and definitely didn't do anything to interrupt the flight time, yet it recorded twenty-eight minutes of flight time and not the seventy-five minutes it took??? Anyone else experience this?

Don 

I have never checked the flight times for accuracy Don. But I do know that it does not record all landings and takeoffs. P3D and FSX would record them all, so I think this is a backward step. Especially for simmers like me who set out to explore and test our skill by landing at any out of the way strips we come across. Sometimes it maybe four or five or even up to ten if they are close together. If it is a long strip, maybe just a touch and go. We can't even plan such a flight which will record our landings/takeoffs, they just show as waypoints.

So Don, I can quite believe your log is not recording correctly. And will check my flight times in future. 

I think whoever designed the logbook feature only had tube liners or strict A to B simmers in mind, not bush explorers who test themselves by doing things that they would never have attempted in the real world.. :blink:

Edited by tuisong
  • Like 1

When MSFS first came out, it did such a poor job of recording landings that I just wrote the log book off as useless. 

I guess I'm not surprised to hear it isn't recording flight time correctly either.  

Personally, I've never really paid much attention to virtual log books in other sims, but it can still be interesting to see your number of landings, different airports, and flight time in each aircraft.  I also know that some people do care about their virtual log books.

A virtual log book isn't a new feature, so I'm surprised that ASOBO hasn't gotten it sorted out by now.

I think John Dow's post is great.  Ultimate realism is to make your own log book entries!

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 1:05 PM, tuisong said:

I have never checked the flight times for accuracy Don. But I do know that it does not record all landings and takeoffs. P3D and FSX would record them all, so I think this is a backward step. Especially for simmers like me who set out to explore and test our skill by landing at any out of the way strips we come across. Sometimes it maybe four or five or even up to ten if they are close together. If it is a long strip, maybe just a touch and go. We can't even plan such a flight which will record our landings/takeoffs, they just show as waypoints.

So Don, I can quite believe your log is not recording correctly. And will check my flight times in future. 

I think whoever designed the logbook feature only had tube liners or strict A to B simmers in mind, not bush explorers who test themselves by doing things that they would never have attempted in the real world.. :blink:

Thanks mate. If you like out of the way bush strips, check out these in Oz. YKSC Kingsgate A/P Kangeroo Island, YCFL Cape Flattery A/P Cooktown, YZLI Lizard Island, YHKI Hicks Island all tucked away little "bushies". YTGA Tangalooma is a roughie off the coast of Queensland, all good fun. :)

Don  

10 hours ago, John Dow said:

Guess it's part of the as real as it gets mantra. In the real world you have a logbook that you fill in after each flight,manually. Maybe that's what you need to get back to.:)

Thanks John, I'm not that interested in keeping flight records, I just had a look for the "hell of it". But I think if MS is providing such a service, they could at least do a decent job of it.   

9 hours ago, Matt McGee said:

When MSFS first came out, it did such a poor job of recording landings that I just wrote the log book off as useless. 

I guess I'm not surprised to hear it isn't recording flight time correctly either.  

Personally, I've never really paid much attention to virtual log books in other sims, but it can still be interesting to see your number of landings, different airports, and flight time in each aircraft.  I also know that some people do care about their virtual log books.

A virtual log book isn't a new feature, so I'm surprised that ASOBO hasn't gotten it sorted out by now.

I think John Dow's post is great.  Ultimate realism is to make your own log book entries!

Hi Matt, not important enough for me to bother with. I knew MS FS had one, so I was curious, that done, I'll probably never darken it's doorstep again :D The only time I get into flight times is when I'm flying from A to B I like to know how long it will take, the wife gets a bit dirty if I start one on dinner time :lol:    

Don

On 12/31/2022 at 9:09 PM, Aussieflyer38 said:

Thanks mate. If you like out of the way bush strips, check out these in Oz. YKSC Kingsgate A/P Kangeroo Island, YCFL Cape Flattery A/P Cooktown, YZLI Lizard Island, YHKI Hicks Island all tucked away little "bushies". YTGA Tangalooma is a roughie off the coast of Queensland, all good fun. :)

Don  

Hi Don, thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out. 

• Like 1