NA Regions vs TrueEarth

OK.. So I have collected all of the NA Regions and now I am wondering what is the difference between those and the TrueEarth Regions? Are the TrueEarth Regions just a newer version of the NA Regions? Or a more detailed Add-on that is inserted into the standard 'Regions'?

Thanks!

Robert

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Robert Shepherd said:

Thank you John!

Guess I should've searched first :) SO from what I'm reading it sounds like TE is the updated version of the region.

Robert

Robert, TE uses photoreal scenery, the regions use landclass scenery--two different display methods.  TE scenery doesn't change with the seasons, the landclass regions do.

• Like 1

Actually, TE does an OK job of simulated spring, summer, and fall because the vegetation, trees and so forth, change colors.  You can see that in some of the images I have posted.  What TE doesn't display is winter ground textures in other words, snow and ice.  However, if you have the Orbx regions you can get all the seasons including areas where there is native P3D scenery.  So if I want snow and ice I can fly in the regions or native P3D areas.  I have not invested in MSFS yet so I don't know how it handles seasons.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 9:02 PM, Bullfox said:

Actually, TE does an OK job of simulated spring, summer, and fall because the vegetation, trees and so forth, change colors.  You can see that in some of the images I have posted.  What TE doesn't display is winter ground textures in other words, snow and ice.  However, if you have the Orbx regions you can get all the seasons including areas where there is native P3D scenery.  So if I want snow and ice I can fly in the regions or native P3D areas.  I have not invested in MSFS yet so I don't know how it handles seasons.

Truthfully, that's not how I understand how the TE scenery works.  It's a once only snapshot of the area in question, dependent on when the photo was taken.  That seems to be the feedback that I have read, anyway.

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Truthfully, that's not how I understand how the TE scenery works.  It's a once only snapshot of the area in question, dependent on when the photo was taken.  That seems to be the feedback that I have read, anyway.

Yes, the ground imagery does not change, but the autogen vegetation does chanfe in the P3d versions of TE sceneries AFAIK. I can't verify this though, because when TE came out I had already moved to XP and now exklusively use MSFS.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wolfko said:

Yes, the ground imagery does not change, but the autogen vegetation does chanfe in the P3d versions of TE sceneries AFAIK. I can't verify this though, because when TE came out I had already moved to XP and now exklusively use MSFS.

Thanks for the clarification, wolfko.  I don't own any TE products, so I can't comment about autogen vegetation changing or not.

The vegetation changes colors with the seasons in TE, Orbx regions, and P3D native regions.  It looks pretty good, in my opinion in all three except in winter in TE regions when the trees are white but the ground does not change colors.

One of the things I do to improve the appearance in all three is change the display hue a bit to the green in spring and summer and a bit to brown in fall and winter.

• Like 1