Don't work on your PC when you are angry...

A small and cautionary tale of woe:

Sim Update 5 to msfs really riled me up. And then the almost instantaneous patch to ".14" - yes, I know .15 is out too.

I was so disappointed by that update that I decided to uninstall msfs. While I was at it I put a 2TB M.2 card on the mobo for OS and "normal" software and added a 2TB ssd just for MSFS.

I wasn't just disappointed by SU5, I was furious! So when I disconnected some of the old drives Ii failed to release the locking latch (press tab) on the SATA connector on an older ssd - that promptly broke the L shaped locating pin and even tore a connector loose: write off! Then I fumbled the graphics card out of the PCIE slot and it was only the price tag that held me back from rash action and it is lucky that I have a very deep pile carpet and only a one inch fumble...

Then win 10 pro went T's up on me because it was no longer on c:\ and I fluffed around in uefi getting totally lost in the process. That meant the full reinstall of win 10 pro and the concommitant follow up actions of reinstalling all the other programs I use. But hey, a good wash every now and then is good for your soul, no?

Now I have that year old problem of waiting for the mandatory data update on msfs before I can even test it using only default models. And even then I'll have the world updates to install before I can even think about a trip to the Orbx Central to recover my purchases.

So the moral of the story - patience! Sleep on a problem first. Take a good deep breath before physically assaulting your PC. Stay your anger and remember, Asobo is a French company - the French are far better at cooking ;). Have patience, and even though Bobby McFerrin is no longer with us: "Don't worry, be happy"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Nightmare scenario... I feel for you... probably all done something similar...my PC always seems to need update or something when I have a big chunk of spare time... hope you get it all sorted in the end...

• Like 1

Getting there - and surprisingly my first msfs flight was actually a success. No CTD, no hangup, no complaints. But that was, after all, on a base msfs install without addons from the store or the World Updates.

And even though I blame msfs for that nightmare sim update, I must always remember that AGOG is not always a good thing (a grumpy old git). It can cause expensive mistakes.

The strange thing is that apart from updates, just putting my last community folder back into msfs doesn't cause problems. So why can't Asobo create a simple subroutine to rename community when they force a mandatory update on us. Ye Gods, I could have done something like that in Fortran IV on punchcards in 1969 / 1970 at school.

Seriously! The algorithm would be something like:

• if update then goto checksub             (right near the beginning of the update code)
  •  
  • [checksub]
  • Locate community folder
  • Rename community -> bugarup             (or move to temp)
  • Locate contents.xml
  • Delete contents.xml
  • Locate rolling cache
  • Delete rolling cache
  • [end checksub]
  •  
  • if update complete then goto reloccomm
  •  
  • [reloccomm]
  • Locate bugarup
  • Rename bugarup -> community
  • check for interference
  • if interference then reset
  • alert user
  • [end reloccomm]

No? Even in BASIC, a well coded series of commands as above would  possibly work.

• Like 2

Well, I am getting there. All my working data is going onto "spinners" with a backup to my WD myCloud server downstairs.

I now have around 12 TB hooked up to the PC (4 SSD and 8 on HDD) The latter "spinners" are all WD Black drives, so I now back to a comfort zone. Now it's time to make a first backup of c:/ and the flightsim data... I need to keep the two DVDs for another year or two still as I still watch the odd movie. But all in all:

Getting there.

ok969GQ.jpg

Edited by EagleSkinner
  • Like 1

Meanwhile the upgrade to SU5 went flawless for me and a few million others as well. Didn't even notice what the two hotfixes fixed because I was too busy flying. Asobo is an amazing developer that has created a better sim than any company from any other country (their "A Plague Tale: Innocence" was also groundbreakingly beautiful and award-winning). I see no need to take shots at them or the country they are from. I'm not an Aerosoft fan at all, but I don't take shots at the country they are headquartered in.

Hopefully your WD MyCloud drives are not subject to the WD malware attack.

Edited by Seanmo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, EagleSkinner said:

Well, I am getting there. All my working data is going onto "spinners" with a backup to my WD myCloud server downstairs.

I now have around 12 TB hooked up to the PC (4 SSD and 8 on HDD) The latter "spinners" are all WD Black drives, so I now back to a comfort zone. Now it's time to make a first backup of c:/ and the flightsim data... I need to keep the two DVDs for another year or two still as I still watch the odd movie. But all in all:

Getting there.

ok969GQ.jpg

You are running out of letters in the alphabet for all your drives . :rolleyes::D

• Haha 1

Good catch Seanmo. As you righly notice, I do have a "MyCloud" drive so I will have to keep an eye out. Hopefully the router firewall, McAfeee and VPN will keep things reasonably safe. Also, I haven't set up an account to access my home cloud from external usage - being a pensioner I don't use my computer remotely. All the other storage is hardwired via USB to my PC.

As for the alphabet spaghetti, I suppose I should de-partition the external drives... but I have a cluttered mindset sometimes.

Unless there is a another reason to do so, there is no real advantage to de-partitioning the drives. Windows can handle up to 26 physical drives. I have 4 optical and 19 data drives (5 internal and 14 external) on this system and Windows handles it fine 99.5% of the time. If I have everything active at the same time Windows will occasionally mess up a drive letter or two on a reboot but that's easily fixed with Disk Management...no big deal. I usually run with as few of the external drives active as I can but that's just for my convenience...Windows doesn't care one way or the other. I's rather have several small drives rather than just a couple of big ones because, as you say, it solves some of the "clutter" problems.

• Thanks 1