YBBN - reworked?

I purchased YBBN for MSFS just yesterday and after careful examination (ie using the drone camera to transport myself around the entire airport) I must say I'm underwhelmed with this "new" rendition.

There are several key areas where according to my experience with previous YBBN versions FSX & P3D, it seems that this latest rendition was ported over. The textures of buildings such as terminals, hangars, and other buildings including glass around the airport seem to be lacking PBR and new texturing in accordance with the new MSFS engine. 

Just by comparison, when viewing the new Aussie airports YPAD by Impulse Simulations and YMHB by NZA Simulations there is a stark contrast in the use of textures, materials and the introduction of more in-depth features containing immersive details and quality. Fly Tampa's rendition of YSSY is another good example of feature rich immersive detail and good use of textures and PBR.

The lack of any interior terminal detailing in comparison to other devs (such as the aforementioned) is surprising and disappointing. In fact, the car parks at YBBN contain more detail & work than the terminal buildings.

Jetways in this new iteration are not even lining up to appropriate aircraft eg Domestic Terminal. My A320 lined up correctly at the gate and the jetway couldn't extend and reach it.

Was the product QA tested prior to release?

Are the devs aware that many of us long time simmers are requesting more details and more graphic immersion? The bulk of new simmers are also requesting more detail. (Just check the MSFS forums and FB pages). After all, this is MSFS, not FSX or P3D. The ability to add more immersion and make airports feature rich is ripe within MSFS and as pointed out earlier, other devs are introducing these.

I sincerely hope that any other major Aus airports that are being worked on or are being planned to be worked on all under the banner of Orbx will certainly present with marked improvements over the old FSX/P3D versions.

Keeping in mind I have been an Orbx customer right from the very beginning. It gives me no pleasure to voice my concerns and disappointment with YBBN.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

My take on this having tested it is that in the context of Brisbane where the Brisbane City pack requires some of the resources available to the computer, the scenery has been developed to allow mid range computers such as my old rig to give good frame rates.  And it does this admirably.  For normal aviation operations, approaches, departures, circuits (pretty rare in real life I imagine) and taxying to terminal gates it is an outstanding product, and that is the primary purpose of scenery products.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, John Dow said:

My take on this having tested it is that in the context of Brisbane where the Brisbane City pack requires some of the resources available to the computer, the scenery has been developed to allow mid range computers such as my old rig to give good frame rates.  And it does this admirably.  For normal aviation operations, approaches, departures, circuits (pretty rare in real life I imagine) and taxying to terminal gates it is an outstanding product, and that is the primary purpose of scenery products.  

I respect your viewpoint.

In reality, when any of us objectively look at YBBN and simply compare it to other new Aussie airports delivered in this new MSFS environment by new devs - YBBN fails on many levels.  I note your reference to YBBN and cityscape and impact on resources - I've been using the Fly Tampa YSSY with the Orbx Sydney Cityscape and the resource usage on my rig is acceptable given that Fly Tampa's YSSY is vastly superior to YBBN across the board not withstanding the detail in Sydney Cityscape right nearby in proximity to YSSY. In addition to YSSY, the new release of YPAD and with the additional Adelaide scenery pack by Orbx also works well on my rig - and YPAD is exceptional in it's inclusion of details/features/textures in comparison to YBBN.

I truly hope Orbx and Havant consider reworking YBBN and bringing it into this new MSFS environment with some more gusto. All anyone has to do is compare it to the products I already stated.

Edited by XCLTM3
  • Upvote 1

As a person who has fought the good fight for freedom my entire adult life, it was extremely disappointing to see this post locked yesterday a few short hours after it was initiated by me.

Conversely, to now see it unlocked again is refreshing and gives me the hope that freedom of speech is not entirely dead (just yet).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XCLTM3 said:

As a person who has fought the good fight for freedom my entire adult life, it was extremely disappointing to see this post locked yesterday a few short hours after it was initiated by me.

Conversely, to now see it unlocked again is refreshing and gives me the hope that freedom of speech is not entirely dead (just yet).

Isn't it amazing what a little pressure (applied in the right place and in the right way) can achieve!  Now for Orbx to take this very valid criticism on the chin and do something to restore consumer confidence in a decent update asap!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozzieblr said:

Isn't it amazing what a little pressure (applied in the right place and in the right way) can achieve!  Now for Orbx to take this very valid criticism on the chin and do something to restore consumer confidence in a decent update asap!!

@ozzieblr

Much obliged.

I agree, but was hoping that I could avoid that path (of applied external pressure) by utilising reason & sound discussion based on evidentiary comparisons.

That was my intention - for Orbx to take it onboard in a civil and constructive manner and respond with updates that reflect what the customer base is asking for and what the MSFS Ecosystem is perfectly capable of.

I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one who has identified this product as being sub-par in the MSFS eco-system. The bar has been raised several levels even since the latter part of P3D, let alone what we're seeing now in MSFS. This is not the time for complacency for any MSFS dev. The MSFS ecosystem is substantially larger than any of the previous FS iterations, and it will continue to grow exponentially with the introduction of X-Box.  This is a new era and old business paradigms must adapt or fall to the sword so to speak.

Edited by XCLTM3
  • Like 3