NZ elevation data

I am still investigating but!

Some horrible glitches around Queenstown, huge pillars very similar to those seen recently all over but seemingly cleared up with one of the recent updates.

Might be a clash with other addon scenery - will let you know.

Richard

I ran a test flight with this mesh from Queenstown to Milford Sound.  No issues at all with the mesh.  

However at Milford Sound, with the freeware airport add-on from flightsim.to installed, I saw mesh anomalies around NZMF airport.  No doubt as time fgoes on the freeware will be adjusted to suit this new mesh.  (I hope).

The quality of the mesh as you fly up the lake and then climb over to NZMF is absolutely stunning.

• Upvote 1

Bit more research!

I had the freeware Queenstown installed. Without it everything is OK.

Interestingly both the Queenstown and the superb Milford Sound say they have tried to correct the mesh around about the airport. I am sure this is the problem - there were no issues around Dunedin with another freeware airport, but which hasn't tried to correct the mesh.

I will leave a message on the .to website to see if they can release a version with the airport scenery but no mesh changes!

A great shame that there is this clash.

Richard

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 4:09 AM, Richard1000 said:

Bit more research!

I had the freeware Queenstown installed. Without it everything is OK.

Interestingly both the Queenstown and the superb Milford Sound say they have tried to correct the mesh around about the airport. I am sure this is the problem - there were no issues around Dunedin with another freeware airport, but which hasn't tried to correct the mesh.

I will leave a message on the .to website to see if they can release a version with the airport scenery but no mesh changes!

A great shame that there is this clash.

Richard

Scroll to the bottom of page 2 on this link and read that!. Another developer gives you all the answers you need regarding freeware airports and mesh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rick66 said:

Scroll to the bottom of page 2 on this link and read that!. Another developer gives you all the answers you need regarding freeware airports and mesh.

Hi all,

but that exact comment throws a big question open now. Orbx is using CGL files. If I understood Virtuali correctly thats the way that will lead to problems in most cases.

So is there a chance to get an official comment on the issues observed and the pros and cons of the CGL method used? For me it sounds like the heightmap based sdk supported way should be the better alternative. But I'm open for reasons to convince me ;)

Cheers and Thx

Thorsten

12 minutes ago, Thorsten42 said:

Hi all,

but that exact comment throws a big question open now. Orbx is using CGL files. If I understood Virtuali correctly thats the way that will lead to problems in most cases.

So is there a chance to get an official comment on the issues observed and the pros and cons of the CGL method used? For me it sounds like the heightmap based sdk supported way should be the better alternative. But I'm open for reasons to convince me ;)

Cheers and Thx

Thorsten

Maybe I am wrong, but as I understand it, the Orbx method has much less impact on performance, actually almost nil impact.

And performance is the holy grail for most flight simmers.

18 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Maybe I am wrong, but as I understand it, the Orbx method has much less impact on performance, actually almost nil impact.

And performance is the holy grail for most flight simmers.

That would be a possible point for the list. An official statement like 10% faster than the heightmap based mesh on same detail level. But as far as I understood its breaking possibly both freeware and payware offerings in the mesh area as it's not able to exclude areas. So what is a slight gain in performance if the rest is true?

So I hope we will get some official feedback on this.

Cheers

T.

From what I can gather the author of the Queenstown mod is modifying it to work with the Orbx scenery. The Milford Sound airport and scenery has also been modified and looks great. The only other airport I have tried is Lake Tekapo and that works fine.