Any idea’s why.

Originally I had a 1060 with 6gb ram. I finally I managed to buy a 1080ti for just over £500. My question is I have been watching Hudison on YouTube and his system includes a 1060 with 6gb but he is getting the same frames as I’m getting with a 1080ti. How is that, this is with the same settings in MSFS as he has. Any idea’s why this is please. Thanks Derek.

I think I’m worrying over nothing as just did a Flight from Compton Abbas to Lee on Solent my local Airfield and I was getting between 30-45 frames. So thinking that’s pretty good. Thanks Derek.

Hi Derek,

There are a lot of variables to consider with PC performance, not just the graphics card.  The 1080Ti shoudl give you better performance than your 1060 for sure, so you can be confident of that being a good decision.  The actual frames between PCs will always vary due to CPU, background load on CPU and GPU, ambient temperature and cooling of the PC, graphics and sound settings in the sim etc.  You may have more things running in the background so the frames might be lower for example.  In P3D, XP11, and MSFS, some settings can increase or decrease the frames drastically, so it's quite possible there are just some difference in your PC's load and settings compared to the Youtube user you were watching.

Hi Scott. Yes thanks for the info and yes I was thinking of upgrading with a new motherboard and Cpu. Like a Z490 is it and possibly an Intel I7 KF. Wether that would help or I’m not sure. Thanks anyway Derek.

5 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Scott. Yes thanks for the info and yes I was thinking of upgrading with a new motherboard and Cpu. Like a Z490 is it and possibly an Intel I7 KF. Wether that would help or I’m not sure. Thanks anyway Derek.

Hi Derek

At the moment MS2020 predominately runs on a single core. Although upgrading to a faster CPU as you indicated would help some , the actual uplift would not be as significant as one would hope.

It still would be running on a  single core (although faster than what you currently have) but this single core would  still be doing almost all of the computation.

The real change has to come from Asobo, when through their optimization process (and possibly from changing to DX12) they would be able to move calculations from the single core to other cores on the CPU.  

Personally, I would just wait until this happens (they appear to be scheduled for later this year) and yes it is also tied into the XBoxX work as well, so its more of a "when than an if" question.  Once that happens we will all be able to see what the new sim behaviour is like and also how different CPU's respond.

I say this because it may well be that AMD Cpu's perform better at this optimization than do Intel, but that is simply speculation on my part. However, the XBox is based upon using an AMD cpu so it may result in better performance on a PC as well.

However, I can see it would be disappointing to have made a significant purchase today in terms of an upgrade, and then once the dust has settled have "buyers remorse"  that you chose the wrong product. 

I have the same questions that you have. You are not alone, but my conclusion was that it will just take some time now until everything settles out. Personally I believe that Asobo is learning a lot about making MS2020 work optimally for the XBox and that learning will hugely benefit all of us. 

Hope this helps

Pete

Hi Pete and renault. :lol:. Thank you so much for your conclusions. So better to wait awhile and see what happens. Mean I get quite good frames now, so not to bad. Thanks for your help both of you, I mean Scot and Pete. Derek.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:29 PM, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Pete and renault. :lol:. Thank you so much for your conclusions. So better to wait awhile and see what happens. Mean I get quite good frames now, so not to bad. Thanks for your help both of you, I mean Scot and Pete. Derek.

Hi Derek

You are most welcome.

I think that you will find this recent video from Mark of SimHanger quite informative.

MSFS | WHICH CPU? | Intel or AMD | I am upgrading and why I chose to go with....? - YouTube

I quite like him - he is sensible and solid  in his recommendations and understanding of flight simulation.

At the very least this is food for thought, but it is good advice on what is available now.  However as I said, we simply don't know yet how Asobo will optimize MS2020 and for me that could literally be a "game changer" pardon the pun.  As a result, you have to look at Marks comments as valid for this point in time and for the state of MS2020 as it exists today. 

Once Asobo has done its magic, I think we all will have  a more informed perspective. It may well be that Mark's assessment is still valid, but there may also be alternative recommendations available for consideration.  

Hope this is of help to you - more knowledge and understanding is never a bad thing when it comes to creating an informed perspective prior to making a decision.

Cheers

Pete

@Scott Harmes

I'm a little late to the conversation but it seems a pretty good bet that the CPU just can't feed the 1080 at a fast enough rate for there to be much difference compared to the 1060. 

Archived