MSFS 2020 Swiss Alps elevation mesh

Majickthyse

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

To my knowledge, the current status of the SDK makes it not possible yet to make third-party mesh?

1 hour ago, Majickthyse said:

That's disappointing, so Asobo really have us to ransom on that one :)

I believe it is possible, as there are already a few payware DEM products on Simmarket as well as quite a few terrain enhancements on freeware sites like Flightsim.to.

Just look under "Mountains Scenery Enhancements" or "Landscape Scenery Enhancements" on Flightsim.to .

Asobo seem to have a grip on the spikes that has bothered us for a while and is on a fix list for soon apparently, but that's not really an answer to good mesh either I do agree.

Hopefully work for third party mesh will be released soon, that might ease the pressure on Asobo to concentrate on more pushing issues, we just have to wait and see I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 3:24 PM, Tony Wroblewski said:

It's not "officially' possible at present. Some users have been reverse engineering the files used to modify the mesh and have made products from the hacks, but Asobo don't offer any supported way to do this

I've tried one of these mods and it suffers from massive issues with LOD loss at mediums to long range.  This results on the long distance view being inferior to default, and whilst the near view is very good (19m resolution I think), the snapping from one LOD to another as you approach and depart from mountains is too obvious and jarring.  According to reviews the same applies for the payware mod currently available.

Seeing as Asobo have announced their UK mesh will be 50cm resolution, and they plan to improve the mesh worldwide, I think it won't be worthwhile for third party developers to produce products. 

Similar with the weather; the mods and product available right now have benefits but also drawbacks compared to default.  Asobo have said, I believe, that they won't be opening up the SDK for weather mods because the weather engine is central to the product and so they are committed to improving the default to the level where a DLC would add no benefit.

Archived