Problem with updating GB Central

Please check if you have enabled the Backups option in Orbx Central. Also please Clear your Temp folder. Both these actions are shown in the attached pic using Orbx Central/settings/downloader. If you do have a Backup copy in the location then please move it out of there but move it somewhere safe on the same drive.

Reboot your PC and then run the Verify Files again, and attach your Orbx Central log available via the Orbx central/settings/help page as shown in the 2nd pic

Report back. Thanks

1.thumb.JPG.c51b3159fd102ff6eb7cceeb104cf89a.JPG

1308657205_OCLogfile.thumb.JPG.06352cf44942dc33c7e459a9665e169a.JPG

Funnily enough, the "My Products" table now shows a green tick by GB Central, and I had a notification (an Apple thing) telling me that the product was installed.  However, the three folders (stored on an external SSD, but referenced always by symbolic links  - which load the products perfectly in X-Plane) show no sign of being modified in any way today.

You are quick off the mark, Jon :-)

Console log for Orbx.rtf

Jon, as a further, I have a feeling that, despite being able to "see" the files on the external drive, through the Mac symbolic links, Central doesn't deal with them.  I noticed that it had created new empty folders in the root X-Plane installation today. 

Is there a way in Mac that you can create your own symlinks to replace the ones that Orbx central created. Either that or for test purposes make shortcuts rather than symbolic links from the folders and put the shortcuts into the Custom Scenery folder. I am not Mac knowledgeable i am afraid, but if the placing of your files out of the XP directory, like into a library, then Orbx Central makes the symbolic links but you need to open the folder fully until you get to the actual folders of Custom/Overlay and orthos to make the shortcuts. Orbx central tends to make the link by creating a Custom Scenry folder in the Library and then it contains the actual addon folders

I hope you follow what i am trying to explain.

Here is what i am trying to say but in pics!! An example.

KBVS airport in my library, not in XP directory:

Capture.JPG.2a5d3601e8b66519d4553558b1aa2080.JPG

I open the symlink and get this:

Capture1.thumb.JPG.6c97615976346d0c4ffc54debd65425b.JPG

I open the Custom scenery folder and get this:

Capture2.thumb.JPG.7ef04970cca7fe3af6a35e18f6bc9ae8.JPG

I open the above folder and get this:

Capture3.thumb.JPG.657669b4be6aafd36b9bca93108d1b1e.JPG

It is the file in picture 3 that I need to make a shortcut of. For TEGB Central you will have the same file structure but will need to shortcut the Custom/Overlay & Orthos folders.

On Mac OS, I've always create shortcuts using the command-line and it's worked, but I'm not sure how you do this via Finder as I've never done it.

On Mac OS, if you go to Applications and open up Terminal, then type in "ln -s " and then drag in the folder you want to link from, and then specify the location you want the file to link to, e.g.

ln -s /Volumes/Samsung_T5/Scenery "/Users/tony/Desktop/X-Plane 11/Custom Scenery"

This would link the "Scenery" folder on my external drive (The folder I want to redirect to) to my X-Plane's Custom Scenery folder on my desktop. So now when I navigate to Custom Scenery in my X-Plane 11 folder, it links straight to my external drive

Good morning (or whatever time it is to Tony) to both of you.   Regular "shortcuts" to Orbx scenery worked for X-Plane, but Central then didn't see the True Earth folders, so it wouldn't identify any required updates.  That was a while ago, and your code may have changed.  I can easily and quickly make the proper symlinks using third party file managers, so I don't have to bother with terminal.   All they obviously do is invoke the "ln -s" command on whatever is selected (I should imagine!).

I have always kept all of your scenery in X-Plane's "Custom Scenery" folder, rather than using the library idea.   I'm just trying to work my way through Jon's post, but did my log file throw up exactly why Central was having a problem - or was it a server problem yesterday?   If you can see what was wrong, it gives me a chance to put it right.  My main reason for getting these large files off the main iMac drive, and on to an SSD, was two-fold.   When I first did this, the scenery was loading off a fusion drive, and I could go and have dinnner while it was loading (^_^).  The second reason was to avoid clogging up the Time Machine drive.  Having upgraded to a new iMac (all solid state), I suppose I could revert (speed no longer an issue), and fit an even larger Time Machine drive.  However, I would rather keep these huge scenery files off the main drivve, if possible, as it gives me more space for all of the other stuff I accumulate!

I will study Jon's set-up later, but my basic question on the log file is the nub of the matter, as surely you can see what is wrong, and I have made no attempt at interpreting it.

If you tell me that the only way to get this all to work would be to put the offending area back on the main drive, let Central do its work, and then take it all off again and use the links, I could do so.  Or would simply moving  everything into your Library structure (with links to the SSD, preferably) work?

Or, even simpler, wouldn't it be easier to produce a zip file, with the updated files (surely not that many),  let the customer unzip it and copy into the appropriate folders, overwriting what is necessary and adding anything new?

Thank you Jon.   I'll wait before doing anything.  These minor updates are quite likely things I'd never notice anyway :rolleyes:

However, I'd like to sort this problem out, so I know what was wrong, and what to do in the future - should there be something that is very important.

Let me know in this thread please.

Take care.

I'm not too sure where the downloader folder is!  I have found Orbx enties in my user library, under Application Support, and there are a load of folders under that, of course.  I found the backup folder, and a gbr-central-XP11 one - which was empty, even though it showed a modification date of Dec 9th.

Quite where the verify files are, I'm not too sure, as there a few files that might fit the description.  I could delete Central, and start again, but I attach a screenshot of the Central folder in my library, and maybe you can tell me what I could safely delete.  Then, they would re-populate when I run Central again - or would they? :unsure:

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 13.44.13.png

Thanks, Smudger.  These files can be in very odd places on a Mac, but I cleared everything, and tried again today.  I get a text file saying I now have v1.2.1, but no files are changed on the SSD.  Also, downloading stopped when verifying, to inform me that 231 files have failed to download.  Very irritating - particularly as it was only 220 files that wouldn't load when I started the thread!

Yes, Smudger.  If you re-read my last post, I mentioned that I did indeed clear everything.

I have now got around the problem, I think, by (sadly, because it's a nuisance) copying the files over to the main disk, and then the update works.  However, quite what it has changed, apart from a couple of jsons and a text file, I do not know, because I cannot find any files dated October 2020 - which the text file mentions.

Archived