Flight 1S2 -> KORS leads to crash

I've having consistent crashes to desktop while trying to fly from Darrington to Orcas, with two different planes (C172 and JMB VL3). Both happened in the same exact place.

All I need to do is create a flight plan (on the GPS, not using the world map planner) from 1S2 to KORS.

There are no other sceneries installed in PNW apart KORS, TKIW, 1S2 and OG20.

Is there anywhere I can look into like logs or similar?

ps: I'll try another flight, with the G36 and keep an eye on CVV VOR to get the exact point

edit: yep, third in a row, I'm uploading an unlisted video and will share the link

it does not crash though when flying from KORS TO 1S2, only when flying OUT of 1S2.

video recorded:

Interesting - when beta testing P3Dv5 TE Washington we had some CTDs but the root cause was found and I've not seen any in this area and it's one of my favorite haunts.

But let me give it a try and see if I can re-create the same (G36 1S2 to KORS with flight plan, 6,000 Feet).

Stand by....

Steve

11 minutes ago, Steve Colbert said:

Interesting - when beta testing P3Dv5 TE Washington we had some CTDs but the root cause was found and I've not seen any in this area and it's one of my favorite haunts.

But let me give it a try and see if I can re-create the same (G36 1S2 to KORS with flight plan, 6,000 Feet).

Stand by....

Steve

thanks Steve.

I made some more runs later.

Takeoff from KORS (this time with the C208B) and travel to 1S2, again at 6000ft and Traffic Following.

No problems whatsoever getting to 1S2, all ok and the scenery is now jaw dropping, honestly.

Then I parked the plane in the apron (in front of the police truck) and after a few minutes I took off again from 1S2 (same flight, did not restart or exit to main menu) and proceed to KORS at 6k ft.

At the same exact point, again, a CTD. So that's 4 out of 4 ;)

54 minutes ago, quelcertoleo said:

thanks Steve.

I made some more runs later.

Takeoff from KORS (this time with the C208B) and travel to 1S2, again at 6000ft and Traffic Following.

No problems whatsoever getting to 1S2, all ok and the scenery is now jaw dropping, honestly.

Then I parked the plane in the apron (in front of the police truck) and after a few minutes I took off again from 1S2 (same flight, did not restart or exit to main menu) and proceed to KORS at 6k ft.

At the same exact point, again, a CTD. So that's 4 out of 4 ;)

Hmmm.....good news and bad news.

The good news is that I was able to fly the flight plan route in the G36 from 1S2 to KORS without a CTD - and the bad news is the same - I can't re-create it. :(

But I missed the Flight Following element - but that should be the only difference between my flight and yours - and I got to Orcas OK (jaw dropping scenery is correct BTW).

Does the CTD happen even when you're not video capturing the flight?   I've never taken video myself but imagine that might strain memory etc. and maybe when you approach KBVS and all the autogen loads up it's enough of a hit to push your rig over the edge?   Just speculating, but I have a relatively weak machine and am OK in MSFS and don't have an issue.

Does it also CTD if you follow the valley West out of 1S2 then angle up towards KBVS and KORS vs. trying to climb up and over the mountains (my usual route)?

Will try a few more flights and also think of what else might cause this, perhaps other users will be able to re-create it.

Steve

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.13 - 15.24.22.08.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.13 - 15.36.26.22.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.13 - 15.37.31.73.png

Hi

I had many of those crashes to desktop today. I took of at KBVS and went to KORS, the game crashed everytime (tried it like 10 times). I thougt it had something to to with OnAir Company Manager or Opentrack, but I had those crashes even when flying without the two applications.

Then I tried to fly from KBVS to KBLI, again 5 crashes out of 5 flights...

I then took of from KNUW and went to KBLI and the game crashed again 5 out of 5 times.

When I flew IFR, the game crashed always within the like the same 1-2 miles, everytime I could answer ATC and shortly after that -> crash. So it happens everytime at the same place ... when I accelerate time during the flight, the game crashes also at the exact same places ...

I also tried different altidudes, from 2000-9000 feet, and you guessed it -> CTD everytime.

I flew in this region many times in the last two weeks. I would say i landed like 20 times in KORS and never had those Problems.

48 minutes ago, Steve Colbert said:

Hmmm.....good news and bad news.

The good news is that I was able to fly the flight plan route in the G36 from 1S2 to KORS without a CTD - and the bad news is the same - I can't re-create it. :(

But I missed the Flight Following element - but that should be the only difference between my flight and yours - and I got to Orcas OK (jaw dropping scenery is correct BTW).

Does the CTD happen even when you're not video capturing the flight?   I've never taken video myself but imagine that might strain memory etc. and maybe when you approach KBVS and all the autogen loads up it's enough of a hit to push your rig over the edge?   Just speculating, but I have a relatively weak machine and am OK in MSFS and don't have an issue.

Does it also CTD if you follow the valley West out of 1S2 then angle up towards KBVS and KORS vs. trying to climb up and over the mountains (my usual route)?

Will try a few more flights and also think of what else might cause this, perhaps other users will be able to re-create it.

Steve

thanks a lot for your effort.

the crash is consistent even when not recording. I started to record only after I got the CTDs.

the machine should be ok, it’s a 16gb ram i7 and an 8gb gtx1070 so I’d dismiss the memory usage.

the route I was flying is precisely same as yours. Takeoff and head W until vertical clearance with the mountain (4k feet rouhly).

Tomorrow I’ll try a different route, same altitude (I’ll head directly for CVV VOR).

if that one crashes I’ll take the flight without ATC. I’ll exclude one factor at a time. The CTD is suspiciously very close to Whidbey CTC.

48 minutes ago, Steve Colbert said:

Good morning :)

I did not know anything about this topic and I'd like to fly from KORS to 1S2, oder from 1S2 to KORS (wanted to start from KORS at GA4, touchdown at 10 at 1S2) with Cessna Citation. 

Now the sim is loading and loading and won't end with loading :( So for me, it even does not initialise the route. No problems with Innsbruck, Santa Barbara and other destinations at all.

Best greetings

Nino

3 hours ago, NinoGZ said:

Good morning :)

I did not know anything about this topic and I'd like to fly from KORS to 1S2, oder from 1S2 to KORS (wanted to start from KORS at GA4, touchdown at 10 at 1S2) with Cessna Citation. 

Now the sim is loading and loading and won't end with loading :( So for me, it even does not initialise the route. No problems with Innsbruck, Santa Barbara and other destinations at all.

Best greetings

Nino

Have you tried loading with a different airplane?

As of now the CJ4 is the most incomplete, bugged and resource hog of all the GA planes. Don't know about the other bigger citation jet though as I have the base version of MSFS.

I can confirm the Crashes when flying to KORS in MSFS. I cant remember the exact takeoff airport but i had CVV VOR in my flightplan.
Past CVV VOR i started to descend below clouds and the sim crashed right before reaching KORS.

Eventviewer had not much details for me besides the info that MSFS crashed, without naming any module or something...
EDIT:
I know, not much usefull info in my post but i dint plan to report it, just stumbled over this thread.
What i can say is im monitoring my system constantly and there was nothing that would explain a crash. No temp problems, no RAM or VRAM at limits, no overstressed CPU.

i7-9700K
RTX 2080Ti

32GB Ram

I will buy 1S2 propably tonight and do a test flight these days to cross check OPs issues.

30 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

is this topic connected to the recently released Orbx 1S2, or is it a fault in the

recently released Microsoft Flight Simulator that occurs when the recently

released Orbx 1S2 is not installed?

I only have KORS installed, dont own 1S2 yet. First flight i did TO KORS ended in a CTD close to the scenery.
Otherwise MSFS runs absolutely stable on my system. I tend to say it has to do with KORS or something in that area atleast.

Well i owned KORS earlier than 1S2 but never visited this area yet. So yesterday I bought the new released 1S2 and wanted to plan a short route KORS - 1S2 or 1S2 - KORS. So normally the loading-indicator is jumping the last way from ca. 85 to 100%. 

With this situation he is loading untill 85% and then moving really slow to 100% (ca. 1 mm in 2 seconds) and after reaching 100% he continues loading and nothing will happen (waited 30 minutes, normally it takes 2 minutes to load until ready to fly...)

For what it’s worth I flew to KORS to 1S2 and back to KORS with no problems except for Fog drifting over the water on approach to KORS which was simply brilliant... I LOVE MSFS 2020!

I flew the Bonanza with no ATC... I do not love the ATC at this stage of the Sim. 

On 9/14/2020 at 11:50 AM, quelcertoleo said:

I made another run, this time no ATC, same route.

no crashes...this is interesting.

EDIT: as soon as I enabled ATC I had a CTD...can someone please try a similar route with flight following? I have a bad feeling about this (quote).

Just for the heck of it , turn off crashes in the Realism Option section of MS2020 ; see if that helps any .

John

1 hour ago, FSRobert said:

For what it’s worth I flew to KORS to 1S2 and back to KORS with no problems except for Fog drifting over the water on approach to KORS which was simply brilliant... I LOVE MSFS 2020!

I flew the Bonanza with no ATC... I do not love the ATC at this stage of the Sim. 

straight GPS route from 1S2 to KORS?

it doesn't crash to me if I go to CVV and then turn up to KORS...it's only the straight route.

Guys, for searching the reason for this issue, we absolutely should turn off ai traffic, real world traffic, real world weather (actually any weather by using the clear sky option), ATC and of course any add ons installed incl. apps like Navigraph (which apparently can csuse the most strangest issues).

Additionally all should do the testing using the same aircraft, preferrable a rather simple one without glass cockpit and AP like the C152.

Otherwise all those tests will just be shots into the dark.

Edit: I forgot a couple of points. Time of the day should be set to the same hour for all tests and of course we all should use the same graphic settings. 

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that I uninstalled KORS scenery and made the route again. This led me to a CTD at the exact same point, so the good news is that it's not KORS.

The bad news is that I have no clue at this point at what to look after, any idea is welcome.

This is what I see in windows event viewer, not sure if it can help.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f5b8327
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f5b8327
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000dfa2e5
Faulting process ID: 0x1f54
Faulting application start time: 0x01d68c68d1fbc2e5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 16999954-3271-4c7a-a46f-b1a2ce29131f
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>100</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-09-16T20:55:36.725934000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>25111</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>Application</Channel> 
  <Computer>zeus</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>FlightSimulator.exe</Data> 
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data> 
  <Data>5f5b8327</Data> 
  <Data>FlightSimulator.exe</Data> 
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data> 
  <Data>5f5b8327</Data> 
  <Data>c0000005</Data> 
  <Data>0000000000dfa2e5</Data> 
  <Data>1f54</Data> 
  <Data>01d68c68d1fbc2e5</Data> 
  <Data>C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe</Data> 
  <Data>C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe</Data> 
  <Data>16999954-3271-4c7a-a46f-b1a2ce29131f</Data> 
  <Data>Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe</Data> 
  <Data>App</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

I do not yet have 1S2 but I do have KORS. I have done multiple flights from KORS to 1S2 and vice versa with zero issues. These have all been done in the Zil Shock Ultra in VFR and with poor weather scud running in rain, low clouds and reduced visibility etc. With the above listed configuration, I have had no issues over at least four separate round trips.

16 minutes ago, CageyMoose said:

I do not yet have 1S2 but I do have KORS. I have done multiple flights from KORS to 1S2 and vice versa with zero issues. These have all been done in the Zil Shock Ultra in VFR and with poor weather scud running in rain, low clouds and reduced visibility etc. With the above listed configuration, I have had no issues over at least four separate round trips.

I have done a lot of of flight to KORS and have even recorded videos posted on youtube. It was the first scenery I bought.

But something got in the way in the meantime.

I uninstalled a scenario I had added (WA17 Majerle) and managed to land at KORS but it has a very strange appearance, like if there was no airport defined at scenery level:

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.17 - 00.48.04.85.jpg

@quelcertoleo

Which add ons or mods do you have installed? Again I'm thinking e. g. of Navigraph, which caused strange CTDs of my XP installation last year. Had to do with a waypoint installed twice. 

Even repaints can cause CTDs.

Edit: as previously recommended, do the testing with a simple aircraft without glass cockpit an without AP, e. g. with the C152. This would help to narrow down the cause

On 9/16/2020 at 11:53 PM, quelcertoleo said:

I have done a lot of of flight to KORS and have even recorded videos posted on youtube. It was the first scenery I bought.

But something got in the way in the meantime.

I uninstalled a scenario I had added (WA17 Majerle) and managed to land at KORS but it has a very strange appearance, like if there was no airport defined at scenery level:

Hello,

there are problems with adding to the new simulator that are still being discovered

by developers, reported to Asobo and not yet fixed.

One of them seems to be that more than one addon airport in the same MSFS grid

will break at least one of them and there will surely be others.

The methodical way to find out what the problem is, is:

1. remove all addons and make sure that the default KORS displays as it should in the default simulator.

2. add back the Orbx addon and see if that works as it should.

3. add back other addons in small groups until the problem recurs.

4. remove products one by one from the last group added until the problem at KORS goes away.

This will take a fairly long time but is the only way.

On the subject of videos on You Tube, and not directed at you at all, but there are some

that are highlighting trivial things and attempting to make them into life changing issues.

I am fully aware that there is a whole new culture of influencers but as they are entirely free

to post whatever they want, there is no guarantee of accuracy, impartiality, competence

in the use of the subject software or indeed a balanced perspective.

Videos can be found that are missing some or all of the above.

Thank you all for the help.

i investigated the windows event viewer error code and it appears, repeat, appears, to be related to memory illegal access.

translated, leaks, oom and the likes.

I got my evidence that KORS was unrelated because the sim crashes even without KORS installed...that pretty much sums it all.

as for the tubers, influencers and the likes, I’m not a fan at all of that paradigm, let them video whatever they want. The video I have online is a simple landing with the supralight, not crash related. ;)

(the crash related one I posted is even unlisted precisely to avoid any toxic kiddies shouting around)

again, thanks for all the info.

6 hours ago, quelcertoleo said:

Thank you all for the help.

i investigated the windows event viewer error code and it appears, repeat, appears, to be related to memory illegal access.

translated, leaks, oom and the likes.

I got my evidence that KORS was unrelated because the sim crashes even without KORS installed...that pretty much sums it all.

as for the tubers, influencers and the likes, I’m not a fan at all of that paradigm, let them video whatever they want. The video I have online is a simple landing with the supralight, not crash related. ;)

(the crash related one I posted is even unlisted precisely to avoid any toxic kiddies shouting around)

again, thanks for all the info.

Good to read you've narrowed down what was causing the annoying crashes. I was going to post that I purchased and installed 1S2 today. I did another flight from 1S2 to KORS (also Orbx) and experienced no issues. Hopefully you can sort out the technical issues. Good luck.

yes I actually narrowed it down and reduced the problem to a single factor:

• it's the game itself

No addons installed, no mods, no trackir and using a stock plane without glass thingies at my face.

At the same precise point (26.9nm out of CVV VOR) there will be a CTD.

How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

11 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

good work, thanks very much for your time and effort.

Can you report this to the Microsoft Zendesk please?

yes I'm doing that.

I'm a dev myself so I'll open the bug the same way I like them to be open to me :) (logs, description, how to reproduce, etc)

there's many people with this same error code so there must be something happening, we had patches, etc. let's see.

I have found that I can fly TO kors without a problem, but departing KORS always results in a crash - Flew from Tacoma Narrows to KORS - no crash.  Same session - departed KORS for Tacoma Narrows.   Got about 20 minutes south and then Crash to Desktop.   Flew from 1S2 to KORS, landed, refueled, departed and headed back towards 1S2 - about 5 minutes after departure CDT.    Here is where it gets fun - went from 1S2 to Tacoma, landed, refueled, departed North for KORS.   Passed over KORS for Left base and turned back South - Crashed to desktop on Final about 2 miles out.   I can fly all day between 1S2 and Tacoma, but as soon as I get near KORS the CTD occurs.  If I stay at KORS and fly pattern touch and gos, I can do that all day too without issue.  Its something with leaving KORS.  Very bizarre.  I should put in that I already have over 100 hours+ in FS2020 and have not had ANY other CTDs anywhere else in the world.   I fly all of the different types of aircraft, but have had the KORS CTD with both Steam and Glass cockpits.

could you please check the logs in the event viewer?

you shoud find an application error and with code

from this weekend I have got this very same error (brutal CTD) while approaching St. Tropez airport (an addon from another company) and I've been flying in and out of there many times in the previous weeks but now, something got in the way and the application goes CTD.

It happens both with glass and non-glass cockpits.

At this point I think it is a bug at application level. I opened a bug to zendesk and got no reply so far (which is good news, it means they're still looking into it).

There are many reports in the forum with the same exception code.

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

@quelcertoleo

Please have a look at Jon Clarke's answer in the topic I have linked. Maybe your CTD's are caused by the same issue.

thanks a lot for the info.

If I look at this purely from a software engineer perspective, I think there's more than one possibility and multiple factors involved.

For example, Jon's answer could explain my CTD's flying to KORS from 1S2 (but I also crash flying to KORS from Diamond Point, Vashon or Orbx KTIW).

However, I have similar CTD's also when flying in the area around St. Tropez where I have another addon installed (Aerosoft) and in that specific area I have nothing else installed. The closest detailed airport is Courchevel at 130nm. All I have to do is takeoff from the airport, fly a bit away like 20nm and then return to it. At around 5nm there will be a CTD. I have a statistic of 100% occurrences on this one. Very weirdly, it does not happen if I come flying from Courchevel :D

I have also investigated the scenario configuration file (Context.xml) and I can confirm that I had some scenarios in an inconsistent state. It appears that when you remove, move or rename a scenario folder in your Community folder the Context.xml will not be updated accordingly and will remain in an inconsistent state.

I agree though that the only ones who can answer are Asobo. I have filed a bug to them with logs and how to reproduce and, this morning, I got a notification that it was added to their internal bug tracker. Translated = they're working on it or at least will work on it.

bug still open in asobo (apparently) and crashes still happening:

Error    29/09/2020 21:06:55    Application Error    1000    (100)

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f6cce4b
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f6cce4b
Fault offset: 0x0000000000e01825
Faulting process ID: 0x5a00
Faulting application start time: 0x01d69690a548eaf6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 26fec0a7-53fb-4ceb-be4f-f83656257e02
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

oh well.

• 4 weeks later...

is there an update to this issue? I didn't it noticed in any of the latest communications from asobo and how they are prioritizing bugs.

in the meantime I tried many combinations with different planes, clean weather, no multiplayer and even no trackir in the Seattle area and I came to the conclusion that it is a problem with only this single scenery.

I have in the area 1S2, KTIW and some other freeware sceneries.

First I disabled every single scenery and left only KORS and I would get a CTD every time I get at about 10nm of KORS coming from any direction.

Then I disabled KORS and I would not get the crash going to "stock" KORS.

All the other sceneries can peacefully coexist and have no problems at all.

KORS can only be used if and only if I start a flight from it, but if I start from anywhere else outside of a 20nm radius then I will get a CTD when approaching KORS.

Is there any sort of modification I can apply? Perhaps disabling custom imagery?

As of now, since the first post, I have a product which I can't use and this is a bit frustrating. I would even accept a trade and pay the difference with another product if that suits you.

Archived