Alice Springs Aircraft Storage.

Graham Eccleston

Alice Springs post Covid 19. My Son took this image this afternoon. So sad to see all these aircraft sitting idle.

image.thumb.jpeg.562bdd828e18de6e0d96368585cde626.jpeg

You can’t see them in this image but there are 6 Singapore A380’s parked there. Interesting to see there are no Aussie aircraft there. I understand Qantas chose to park their A380’s at The Mojave Desert air park.

2 hours ago, Graham Eccleston said:

Alice Springs post Covid 19. My Son took this image this afternoon. So sad to see all these aircraft sitting idle.

image.thumb.jpeg.562bdd828e18de6e0d96368585cde626.jpeg

You can’t see them in this image but there are 6 Singapore A380’s parked there. Interesting to see there are no Aussie aircraft there. I understand Qantas chose to park their A380’s at The Mojave Desert air park.

yes, hopefully they'll be back in the air soon. 

Interesting about Qantas, it doesn't make sense in one way but on the other hand I believe they do a lot of their A380 maintenance at LAX anyway.

6 hours ago, Ian St said:

Interesting about Qantas, it doesn't make sense in one way but on the other hand I believe they do a lot of their A380 maintenance at LAX anyway.

It make sense, if they brought their planes to closest place to where they have been when lock down started.

6 hours ago, wolfko said:

It make sense, if they brought their planes to closest place to where they have been when lock down started.

Well if that was the case, they'd be scattered all over the world. My original question as to whether it made sense was the cost of storage at Alice Springs v Mojave, pure speculation as I have no real idea, but I thought it would be cheaper for Qantas to use Alice Springs. Then again, they will only have to ferry them to the MX facility at LAX or maintenance staff could even go from LAX to Mojave once they get the green light.

Alice Springs V Mojave

Perhaps  the real reason could be  less flies  and less dust  that in Alice Springs . I remember boarding the plane in  Alice,  and this  poor stewardess greeting the passengers at the plane entrance . She was covered in flies  whilst heroically she was brushing off the flies of each passenger as we entered the plane. Some of those flies  still made it on board and annoyed us until Darwin (2hours flight) 

7 hours ago, Ian St said:

Well if that was the case, they'd be scattered all over the world. My original question as to whether it made sense was the cost of storage at Alice Springs v Mojave, pure speculation as I have no real idea, but I thought it would be cheaper for Qantas to use Alice Springs. Then again, they will only have to ferry them to the MX facility at LAX or maintenance staff could even go from LAX to Mojave once they get the green light.

Na, they won't be scattered all over the world. It should be a dry place and there has to be boneyard close by. 

By looking at the QF route map they are not going to many dry spots of the earth any more. Dubai comes in mind, but they have no boneyards there AFAK. And since everything is very expensive in Australia (for Australia being one of the most expensive countries in the world), I can imagine that the storage costs in the Mojave are much lower than then the Alice ones.

Here is a link to available boneyards

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_boneyard

Archived