Inca trails

Stillwater

Early morning at the pacific coast. Leaving Lima...

QzRegdd.jpg

Bq52uvQ.jpg

... down the coast viewing the Andes.

lF6YWLi.jpg

This is the exact position of Nazca https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines . As I was already preparing to get up into the mountains I was flying quite high, perhaps the famous line figures are better visible from lower altitudes. The Nazca Lines were created between 500 BCE and 500 CE. Most lines run straight across the landscape, but there are also figurative designs of animals and plants, made up of lines. The individual figurative geoglyph designs measure between 0.4 and 1.1 km (.2 and .7 mi) across. The combined length of all the lines is over 1,300 km (808 mi), and the group cover an area of about 50 km2 (19 sq mi). The lines are typically 10 to 15 cm (4 to 6 in) deep. They were made by removing the top layer of reddish-brown iron oxide-coated pebbles to reveal a yellow-grey subsoil. Some of the Nazca lines form shapes that are best seen from the air (~457 m, 1,500 ft), though they are visible from the surrounding foothills and other high places. The figures vary in complexity. Hundreds are simple lines and geometric shapes; more than 70 are zoomorphic designs of animals such as a hummingbird, spider, fish, condor, heron, monkey, lizard, dog, and a human.

54B7J3y.jpg

As said, I went up into the Andes...

Ux8ahWg.jpg

... with uneasy feelings. These mountains are enormous.

lyfzJpr.jpg

And finally I had to cheat with the weather to "see" Macchu Picchu. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machu_Picchu Not. It is missing in the sim. 

HYfE0TD.jpg

At least you can see the village Agua Calientes just east of the Urubamba river below the ruin location.

EqIvfB2.jpg

Following the Inca trail...

16AGsXY.jpg

... across the sacred valley to Cuzco. They regularly serve this place with A319s, and it looks as challenging as Innsbruck. Plus its altitude (11150 ft).

tDW2cEv.jpg

3 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Very nice indeed.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Interesting tour Gerold.  I would love to see some of hose places in real life, especially the lines.

You are welcome, Jack. I have now checked it from lower altitude: The Nazca Lines are completely missing in OLC SA, as does Macchu Picchu. Two of the major sights of the entire continent... I´d say this OLC needs more Points of Interest.

Just now, Stillwater said:

Thank you Iain!

You are welcome, Jack. I have now checked it from lower altitude: The Nazca Lines are completely missing in OLC SA, as does Macchu Picchu. Two of the major sights of the entire continent... I´d say this OLC needs more Points of Interest.

Ow well, can't have it all in a sim, then it would be....reality? :)

46 minutes ago, lifejogger said:

Great post Gerold!!!!!!!!!!  Enjoyed the shots and your narrative!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you John. I like exploring areas like these.

17 minutes ago, BradB said:

Grand shots from SA Gerold .

Thanks, John. You´ll get more here soon, trust me.

15 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Very nice despite the lacking POIs. Also the challenge of the high altitude landing. How did it go? You don't show any pictures of the landing... :unsure::wacko::rolleyes::D

Thanks Lars. No problem climbing and landing with a powerful small plane like the KingAir. Wait for my next two flights, then I´ll show you some trouble... >:D

Archived