Revisiting Innsbruck - a tribute to Orbx

flavik

Hi all

Of all the simulated flights I’ve done over the last 25+ years, I keep coming back to some places. One of those is Innsbruck, and with the Orbx rendition of LOWI, it’s always a great pleasure!

With Vulkan, the possibilities for what can be achieved in X-Plane has been pushed to new boundaries. Getting stable 30+ FPS on approach in the ZIBO 738 with such complex scenery is no small accomplishment!

eiWL1XT.jpg

Dt0oGmJ.jpg

H60jddC.jpg

jk5Bt9j.jpg

5uuvgf4.jpg

XhDIrKr.jpg

nkmPbVH.jpg

4UqG64o.jpg

CqceLB1.jpg

oG0pC2W.jpg

UPhAK8t.jpg

The RNAV 26 appproach is a fairly challenging one - proper speed management is absolutely necessary here. In the 738, I find that starting the approach at 9500’ at around 185 knots flaps 5 prevents overspeed situations during the descent. At the final approach fix, around 160 with gear down and flaps 15 is a good target, reducing speed further to VREF and extending flaps further.

As for visuals - I’m not using any addons. Vulkan 11.50 beta 10 (beta 11 just came out btw!). I tweaked contract and color saturation in nVidia control panel. For clouds I’m using the amazing freeware Cloud Art which can be found over the the .org. Last updated May 27 - no issues with Vulkan.

It’s probably also worth mentioning that I’m using the standard ZIBO textures as the 4K variants occasionally can overwhelm the Vulkan VRAM management, causing CTDs.

5 minutes ago, flavik said:

Oh, I just used the photos app on my iPhone. Very simple to use. The effect is called vignette.

That’s it!  Vignette, for the life of me I couldn’t remember that effect.  Thanks.  Yeah, that’s a very cool effect that vignette, I like it.

Archived