TE Sceneries Not Loading On Approach

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

INI looks good, no replication of files, so it seems SAM that was causing the grief, but which, the SAM plugin in the XP plugins folder, or the SAM library in the "Custom Scenery" folder.

What you need to do now is to start adding your third party plugins back into your XP plugins folder one at a time Starting and quitting XP after adding each plugin and checking for duplicates in the ini file. I know its tedious but for now its the only way check for sure the cause of problems. The last plugin you will install is the SAM plugin if everything is checking out okay to that point.

Yes ok - I'll start reloading the plugins one at a time later on today. Do you want me to send you the ini file each time for you to check or shall I just do the comparison myself? Are we looking for a particular file that gets duplicated so that I can keep an eye open for what to look for?

Sorry Sentry11, I'm a bit confused by your statement above. I'm sure I did follow your instructions. That empty 'plugins' folder above has been there for quite some time. Long before we started trying to sort out this problem.

Do I just delete it, ot transfer the contents of the other plugin folder into this empty one? Ok, have a rest and perhaps we can continue when you decide what's best to do with it.

Ok, so just to show you the contents and location of the official plugin folder - here is a pic of that. If you look at the file path, you'll see that everything seems to be in order as far as that goes. Should that empty 'rogue' plugins folder be deleted if it's not supposed to be there?

Anyway, I'll carry on doing what you suggested earlier and return those 4 items above (AutoGate, CEF, plugins, and SAM) one at a time whilst observing any changes, if any, to the ini file as I go along.

Correct Plugin Location and Contents.jpg

Ok, so now I have completed the check of the ini file AFTER returning those 4 folders one by one to the above shown plugins folder. I started and closed down XP between each individual return. As you can see from each attached ini file (suitably labelled), there has been no additions or changes to the ini file when I returned the AutoGate, CEF and (empty) plugins folders, BUT, there are some additions following the return of the SAM folder as you can see from the attached 'AFTER SAM Return' file.

AFTER AutoGate Return.ini AFTER CEF Return.ini AFTER plugins Return.ini AFTER SAM Return.ini

There is something else that I have noticed that may or may not be relevant to all of this and that is that there is an extra 'Resources' folder in the official 'Resources' folder. This extra folder contains an emplty 'plugins' folder only. Looking at the date, it seems to have been there since March of last year. Can I delete that superfluous 'Resources' folder?

Please see ataached pic showing that.

Extra Resources Folder.jpg

Those two additions after returning the SAM plugin to the plugins folder in that last ini file are normal. I have the same in my ini file as well.

I  would like to see a screen shot of the contents of the active plugins folder that is now in your Resources folder.

As far as that superfluous folder of yours you can delete it as long as every folder thats inside it is empty and there are no other files in it.

Looking good so far. Now could you send me a screenshot of your "Custom Scenery" folder.

In your last screenshot the folders "PluginAdmin", "XPLM.framework", and "XPWigets,framework and the last 6 files are all Laminar XP items and should not have been removed from the plugins folder, all the remaining are third party plugins the ones that were required to be remove before. I think what you did was you removed the whole plugins folder thus when you restarted XP your empty superflous folders where then recreated.

53 minutes ago, Sentry11 said:

Looking good so far. Now could you send me a screenshot of your "Custom Scenery" folder.

In your last screenshot the folders "PluginAdmin", "XPLM.framework", and "XPWigets,framework and the last 6 files are all Laminar XP items and should not have been removed from the plugins folder, all the remaining are third party plugins the ones that were required to be remove before. I think what you did was you removed the whole plugins folder thus when you restarted XP your empty superflous folders where then recreated.

I was very careful to follow your previous instructions exactly. I even printed them out so that I wouldn't make any errors. Those 9 items below stayed in the original plugins folder inside the 'Resources' folder. As I said, if you look at the dates created of those empty folders they were from last year.

'Run the XP installer and update XP to replace any corrupt or missing files. DON'T tick the box "Check for new betas as well as updates if you want to keep XP version 11.41r1 intact.

Next, remove all other third party plugins from the XP plugins folder and move them to a safe place elsewhere for the time being, except the following Laminar files and folders, leave them inside the XP plugins folder.:

"PluginAdmin" - FOLDER
"XPLM.framework" - FOLDER
"XPWidgets.framework - FOLDER
"Commands" - FILE
"DataRefs - FILE
"XPLM_64.dll" - FILE
"XPLM_64.so" -FILE
"XPWidgets_64.dll" - FILE
"XPWidgets_64.so" - FILE

When that is done save a copy of your current "scenery_packs.ini" file.

Then drop in the attached "scenery_packs ini" file into your "Custom Scenery" folder replacing the "ini" file that is, or should be there.

After all that is done, restart XP, then quit XP then attach and send BOTH the "log.txt" and "scenery_packs.ini" files.'

Anyway, here is the screenshot of my 'Custom Scenery' folder as requested ....

Custom Scenery 11-06-2020.jpg

Ok thanks I'll give it a go - probably later on today as it's getting rather late now.

That plugin folder was empty when I temporarily moved it out of the the XP Resources folder in my 'C' drive together with the other 3 folders as requested. I moved it out of the active plugins folder as it was empty and wasn't one of those 9 items listed in your instructions. The date on it is the 3rd of November, 2019 which is when it was created I presume, so therefore, wasn't created within the last few days since we have been communicating on this thread. Sorry, I didn't make a note of the original active plugin folder modified date.

Hi - it's me again (oh no I hear you say - LOL)

Vancouver to KLAX - 2/3rd successful.

Earlier today I had a successful flight from Genoa (LIMJ) to Edingburgh (EGPH) and no problems at all with the scenery. TE Great Britain was there as well as Orbx's EGPH. After that I tried Vancouver to LA (KLAX) and all the TE sceneries loaded up EXCEPT OREGON. I just had the Laminar default Oregon scenery there as I flew over it. TE Oregon didn't load up.

Would it be worth it for me to do a 'Verify Files' for the TE Oregon within the Central App? That would fix this I'm sure, but whether it would fix it permanently or just temporaily I don't know.

In anticipation that you may ask me for the log.txt and ini files for that last flight, I am attaching them here and would be interested if you have any further thoughts on this. Thanks.

Log.txt scenery_packs.ini

Could you look inside your "Custom Scenery" folder and see if this folder "SAM_Library" is in there, and if it is remove it to somewhere else out side the "Custom Scenery" folder.

Restart XP then quit. Check the "Custom Scenery" folder again to make sure it hasn't returned. If the "SAM_Library" has not spawned  back into the "Custom Scenery" then take a  short flight from Vancouver BC over Oregon.

1 hour ago, Sentry11 said:

Could you look inside your "Custom Scenery" folder and see if this folder "SAM_Library" is in there, and if it is remove it to somewhere else out side the "Custom Scenery" folder.

Restart XP then quit. Check the "Custom Scenery" folder again to make sure it hasn't returned. If the "SAM_Library" has not spawned  back into the "Custom Scenery" then take a  short flight from Vancouver BC over Oregon.

Removed 'SAM_Library' (cut and pasted it to my 'D' drive). Started XP and then closed it down straight away after it had completly fully loaded. 'SAM_ Library' hadn't returned to the Custom Scenery folder. Then took a short flight from Vancouver to Portland (KPDX) and, again, TE Oregon didn't load up. TE Washington did load up as before.

So is everything working okay except for all of Orbx TE Oregon not loading and showing only default terrain? Is that correct?

If so, and as you say verifying the files only temporarily fixes the problem then maybe a complete un-install of Orbx TE Oregon, a PC reboot then a complete fresh install of TE Oregon

is in order. I will tell you right now that I 'm not at all familiar with the workings of Orbx Central.  In fact I have had, and still have my own problems with it working properly for me, and I always fear that time when a major update is required.

So if there are problems in carrying out this un-install and fresh install you will then have to request the advise and assistance of @Jon Clarke as he has a very good understanding of the workings and procedures of Orbx Central. But first before attempting anything, please do some research on your own on what is required to do a un-install / re-install of Orbx files using Orbx Central.

2 hours ago, Sentry11 said:

So is everything working okay except for all of Orbx TE Oregon not loading and showing only default terrain? Is that correct?

That's correct - I haven't found any problems anywhere else with XP and Orbx's scenery APART from on rare occasions Central has shown that an airport here and there has mysteriously uninstalled itself (as indicated in the Central software), so I just re-installed it. I noticed that Compton Abbas airfield (EGHA) was uninstalled when I went to look at 'My Products' in Central a few weeks ago.

Ok, I'll go ahead and have a look at re-installing TE Oregon, but first I need to know from you is it ok for me to return the 'SAM_Library' to the Custom Scenery folder, or do I leave it where it is?

Much appreciate all your effort with this. Thanks again.

No don't return SAM back to  the Custom Scenery folder yet. You have SAM in your plugins folder and that should be sufficent. I understant that one instance of SAM is enough though I have both but then again I've never had any problem with that arrangement.

By the way where are your Orbx TE Oregon files placed? What Drive?

1 hour ago, orbmoke said:

That's correct - I haven't found any problems anywhere else with XP and Orbx's scenery APART from on rare occasions Central has shown that an airport here and there has mysteriously uninstalled itself (as indicated in the Central software), so I just re-installed it. I noticed that Compton Abbas airfield (EGHA) was uninstalled when I went to look at 'My Products' in Central a few weeks ago.

Ok, I'll go ahead and have a look at re-installing TE Oregon, but first I need to know from you is it ok for me to return the 'SAM_Library' to the Custom Scenery folder, or do I leave it where it is?

Much appreciate all your effort with this. Thanks again.

You have apparently done everything to verify files for all the Orbx addons that are being affected which appear to be areas of the TE series not appearing around airports on occasions.

You need to find the source of the issue and in order to do that you will have to limit the contents of your Custom Scenery folder for test purposes.

You need to rename your current Custom Scenery folder to Custom Scenery.BAK.

Make a new Custom Scenery folder.

In the old Custom Scenery folder make shortcuts for TE Washington and Oregon plus Global Airports.

Put those shortcut links into the new Custom Scenery folder.

Start XP and exit.

Do a flight like the Vancouver to Portland flight again and report back if there was still the same problem.

I also strongly advise to temporarily disable all the added plugins you have and also the SAM library. Make sure you keep the default Plugin entries made by XP but disable all the additional ones you added.

We need to see if the problem is Orbx related or whether there is something about your hardware or disk drive speed that is causing issues, plus the possible cause being related to other addons or plugins.

@Sentry11 - 'By the way where are your Orbx TE Oregon files placed? What Drive? '

I placed all of my non-UK Orbx scenery and airports in my 'D' drive.

'One other thing move that zipped folder "Axonos Casablanca" outside of your "Custom Scenery" folder to some other safe location.'

Ok - I've done that. Shall I try the flight again now to see if Oregon appears?

@Jon Clarke - there's quite a bit to unravel there! Everything you suggest sounds fine apart from the 'make shortcuts' section which at the moment I don't know how to do that!

6 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

You have apparently done everything to verify files for all the Orbx addons that are being affected which appear to be areas of the TE series not appearing around airports on occasions.

You need to find the source of the issue and in order to do that you will have to limit the contents of your Custom Scenery folder for test purposes.

You need to rename your current Custom Scenery folder to Custom Scenery.BAK.

Make a new Custom Scenery folder.

In the old Custom Scenery folder make shortcuts for TE Washington and Oregon plus Global Airports.

Put those shortcut links into the new Custom Scenery folder.

Start XP and exit.

Do a flight like the Vancouver to Portland flight again and report back if there was still the same problem.

I also strongly advise to temporarily disable all the added plugins you have and also the SAM library. Make sure you keep the default Plugin entries made by XP but disable all the additional ones you added.

We need to see if the problem is Orbx related or whether there is something about your hardware or disk drive speed that is causing issues, plus the possible cause being related to other addons or plugins.

I have already removed the 'SAM Library' following Sentry11's advice above. When you say 'added plugins', do you mean all of them including Orbx's ones, or just the non-Orbx ones, and how do you distinguish between the Orbx plugins and the non Orbx ones? Please see attached screenshot of my plugins folder within my 'Resources' folder. Perhaps you would be kind enough to let me know which ones I should remove.

Plugins_12-06-2020.jpg

I'm really tempted just to go into Central, and verify the files for Oregon because I'm 99% certain that that action wil bring back the Orgon scenery and load it up. I did that with all the other USA TE sceneries and since then, I haven't had a problem with them 'disappearing' again. The only USA scenery where I haven't done that action yet is for the Oregon one.

Can I do that please? I know it doesn't get to the bottom of the reason why it happened in the first place, but at least it fixes the problem for now and if the problem returns in the weeks ahead, then I can start to try your elimination process then.

I'm just wondering if one of the non Orbx sceneries that I have installed over the last month or so had their own version of SAM which maybe has clashed with Orbx's own SAM software as listed in my Central software under 'My Products'.

Anyway, I'll wait to hear your responses before I try the 'Verify Files' on Oregon.

1 hour ago, Jon Clarke said:

Your pic shows SAM as being installed still, anyway remove:

Autogate

CEF

SAM

Go ahead verify Files for Oregon. I thought you had already done that previously, but do again.

Ok, I removed those 3 items above from the plugin folder. Then I started XP. Then I closed down XP. Then I opened up my Central App and verified the files for TE Oregon. Before I did that I noticed that there was a green tick against TE Oregon HD. Anyway, the result of doing that was that I had a successful flight from CYVR TO KPDX, this time TE Oregon scenery DID load up and everything looked fine.

So, what do you suggest now? I'm just curious as to why Sentry11 suggested that I move the 3rd party Casablanca scenery out of my Custom Scenery folder. Has that shown to cause clashes with the Orbx stuff?

So now I have verified ALL the USA TE scenery (Oregon was the last one done). Now I just need to keep an eye open in case this problem re-occurs. Do I put back those 3 items into my plugin folder, or should I keep them out? Also, can I return the Casablanca airport scenery to my Custom Scenery folder, or does that need to be kept out as well?

12 minutes ago, Sentry11 said:

@orbmoke The reason I asked you to remove the "axonos casablanca WT3.zip" zipped folder and not the active "axonos casablanca" scenery folder is of maybe a conflict between the two which may have been causing the problems.

Ah, ok - fair enough.

Archived