Strange lines near Penang (WMKP)

Aussie123

Just wondering if someone could check if they have two strange lines crossing the scenery obliquely near Penang.

(I can't capture a screen shot to show as I'm using ViewGroups and an odd layout of outside views.)

For me, These tram-like lines extend from west out to sea, across Penang Island near the airport, and over the mainland. They are not the long bridge.

A take-off and circuit around WMKP should confirm it. I don't want to report it a problem with Global if it is only happening for me. 

Thanks,

Aussie 

5 hours ago, Aussie123 said:

Just wondering if someone could check if they have two strange lines crossing the scenery obliquely near Penang.

(I can't capture a screen shot to show as I'm using ViewGroups and an odd layout of outside views.)

For me, These tram-like lines extend from west out to sea, across Penang Island near the airport, and over the mainland. They are not the long bridge.

A take-off and circuit around WMKP should confirm it. I don't want to report it a problem with Global if it is only happening for me. 

Thanks,

Aussie 

3 shots here - but couldn't reproduce what you say is your problem

All looked OK to me and I have flown this before and saw nothing like what you are getting

PS I am still in V4 h3

Penang 1.jpg

Penang 2.jpg

Penang 3.jpg

:rolleyes: Oops. Sorry Nick. Still on P3D v4.5HF2. No added scenery for the area other than Orbx.

Thanks John. Your view looks as I would expect it to be. (I have the bridge there but after the initial ramp, the road runs at sea level).

In my views of your first top shot; I have a pair of tram wide lines extending from the coast at the left, across the tip of the island and continuing out to sea towards Indonesia?

(My setup is down at the moment as I upgrade and replace my external displays. Couple of days and I will post a shot)

Thanks for your help.

Aussie 

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I am using Orbx Global but not Orbx Vector if that makes a difference.

I had a look at therse and it's a weird one... but I suspect it's a Lockheed Martin P3D artifact.  It disappears when Vector is active, but doesn't appear in FSX.

The lines consist of two vertically oriented shapes, like what you might expect to define the side of a rail line or roadway.

SW of the airport they turn and drop on some concrete bases which makes me wonder if it's not a light rail line or something supoosed to be on the island.

It looks to me like if the object could be located at the point where it turn, the size properties might have a figure in the thousands or millions rather than several decimal places/

Anyway all the info to find and track the lines is attached including a kmz file

Penang Lines.kmz

1909473755_PenangLine1.thumb.jpg.a109b1a986780fa6365656b38d8ee2f0.jpg

1283285922_PenangLine2.thumb.jpg.aca46a0e5aa2d9272428d60c42b715c4.jpg

1807317270_PenangLine3.thumb.jpg.22b1d97e7e842902d4b8ebc715966055.jpg

1036168355_PenangLine4.thumb.jpg.acfa3a200d7b327e4ec77db55497f20c.jpg

125371201_PenangLine5.thumb.jpg.ff8f7ac3cc2f89b997cb0284b2f75336.jpg

Penang Lines.kmz

Hi Guys - might just have a reason why you get it and I don't

I am using all Orbx - and no other addons other than Orbx and to that I am 

using Australia V2 -latest update as of 2 days ago - and P3D Vv.5H3

Take a look at the triple shot screen shot ---- the left had shot is Bing - the RH is Google

The centre is me @ 2000 from the top over Orbx AV2

Note ---- Bing shows 2 bridges and the little island - Google show 1 bridge - the little Island - and what should have been the second bridge

The centre shot - i.e. Orbx show only one bridge - No little island - and no resemblance of the second bridge

Sooooh ---  in summary you see what I get with my set up and you see what you see with your setups - which may have a second addon interfering

with the Orbx - which in itself - is not complete in accordance with Bing - and leaves off the little island - but somehow picked a trace of the second bridge

when they used Google as the basis  - but if you hadn't had mentioned it - I would never have noticed the missing bridges which were before my time there in the 70s

Annotation 2020-06-06 221411.jpg

19 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Hi Guys - might just have a reason why you get it and I don't

I am using all Orbx - and no other addons other than Orbx and to that I am 

using Australia V2 -latest update as of 2 days ago - and P3D Vv.5H3

Are you using Vector?  It disappears when Vector is active.  Because I think it is a road or rail related artifact that is excluded by Vector.

4 hours ago, John Dow said:

Are you using Vector?  It disappears when Vector is active.  Because I think it is a road or rail related artifact that is excluded by Vector.

Yes! -  I am using vector - I repeat  -- P3D V4.5 H3( the latest) -- with all the Orbx global and Vectors only

I am not clever enough to comment on the action of vector in this instance - the actuality of a road bridge is  there - as is shown in Bing

and The "partially" in Google - may somehow interfered with the Orbx viewpoint - especially as they missed off the small island

If you examine the Bing - one can see  a road coming from the junction with the second bridge which heads for the airport

The question is - why does it not appear on mine ------ probably because I don't have any other addon other than Orbx ??

If you say that it disappears when you use Vector - one assumes also that that you weren't using it to create your S/Shots

and therefore neither is  Aussie 123 ??

Vector only models one bridge.  P3D models both bridges.

But the number of bridges is not the issue here, it's the artifact that goes across the bay and the ocean from a point WSW of the airport.  It's not a bridge model.

If you have Vector active it doesn't appear.

1 hour ago, John Dow said:

Vector only models one bridge.  P3D models both bridges.

But the number of bridges is not the issue here, it's the artifact that goes across the bay and the ocean from a point WSW of the airport.  It's not a bridge model.

If you have Vector active it doesn't appear.

Sorry John 

P3D V4.5 H3 - I've shown you mine - you have seen my pics - I have but 1 bridge in my P3D - and NO artifact!

If it needs Vector for the solution --- then use Vector! - that's the advice we should give to the OP

Thanks for confirming I wasn't seeing things Guys.

It would seem it is  P3D v4.5 HF 2 or 3's basic attempt to visualise Penang's new second bridge. (I've only ever travelled on the first bridge)

Bit of research: It certainly is impressive. Over 24km long!! with 16.9km over water. (Pretty long when you consider the Golden Gate Bridge in SF is only 2.7km long) The over water part has a 30m clearance. Seems the first cars travelled over it back in 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Abdul_Halim_Muadzam_Shah_Bridge

If you have a look at the photo on the Wiki link above  you can see why P3d's attempt at portraying is very basic with a pair of lines at sea level and not a bridge. I guess it shows through Orbx Global.

Thanks again.

Aussie

8 hours ago, Aussie123 said:

Thanks for confirming I wasn't seeing things Guys.

It would seem it is  P3D v4.5 HF 2 or 3's basic attempt to visualise Penang's new second bridge. (I've only ever travelled on the first bridge)

Aussie

Dear Aussie 123  -  Mate !

The question still remains - and were our efforts in vain - or successful ??

I didn't confirm you were seeing things - because I wasn't - and tried to see why not - 

by tried to help you - and others who might just come across the same problem

Don't blame P3D for trying  to interpret what might not be there ----  you do not say that you are still having the problem

or NOT ??

Please - for the sake of anyone else who has this problem - whether you have solved it -- or not.

Are you using Australia V2 latest download as at 1 week ago ?

Are you using Only that Orbx software ?

If you are - are you using Orbx Vector - and if not why not?

If you are using another scenery add on - around Penang - or Malaysia - tell us

If we did solve it - by what method did you use ?? Was it John Dow's method of Vector use ??

I'm sure that someone in Orbx would be interested for future info - for the "Bridge Too Much"

HI John and Aussie

Aussie123  doesn't use Vector, for various reasons, and that's why he was seeing this artifact.  And doesn't have any scenery other than P3D and Orbx.  I wasn't seeing it until I unticked Vector.  It's a P3D bug that comes from a model of a road or rail structure west of the airport, that has the wrong parameters in its coding.  You can see it in the second screenshot, it's associated with those concrete pillars.  On Google Earth, in roughly the same place, there's a freeway.  So I assume this artifact results from someone starting to model something there and then not finishing the task but leaving the coding in place.

I doubt very much that it is an attempt to model the second bridge.  The reason is because it has all the hallmarks of a scenery item that has not had its dimensions specified, hence from where it is, its lines go to infinity.  The only reason the lines disappear atm points far away from this central point is because that's where the drawcall distance is set, once you go further away it disappears.

I'll bet it's in P3DV5 as well, if you have V5, untick Vector and see if it appears.  If it doesn't appear, Lockheed Martin must have noted it, and they should also fix it in V4.5.

If Nick Cooper sees this, I know you are a bit of a guru in looking at scenery errors like this, can you see if there's a road or road related object at the spot in my second screenshot, and if so, does it have open ended dimensions that would cause this?

@Nick Cooper

Sorry - a BIG sorry - in my 2 earlier writings I made a blue in that I wrongly assumed that we were all using Australia V2 for some daft reason

Of course -  We are using the Default P3D scenery around Malaysia/Penang - and therefore P3D's interpretation of the Google

Map/s presentation could very well be the culprit and because I uses Orbx Vector - I wasn't seeing the artifact'

My apologies to Orbx and you two for my poor impression - of the problem

Hi john

I am editing what I wrote earlier to say that I just read your reply and agree with your interpretation of the default scenery

Vector the answer after all as you said

It will be interesting to see if V5 is the same - or I'm sure that at first V5 didn't need Orbx Vector and now I see it does

10 hours ago, John Dow said:

If Nick Cooper sees this, I know you are a bit of a guru in looking at scenery errors like this, can you see if there's a road or road related object at the spot in my second screenshot, and if so, does it have open ended dimensions that would cause this?

Hello,

it looks like an extrusion bridge that has gone awry.

It is most certainly a part of default P3D, so the quickest way to get it fixed is to tell them at their forums.

Thanks Guys,

I'll mention the artefact over at the LM Forum in the P3D v4.5 section over the next couple of days but I doubt the small issue will get much traction at this time.

Out of habit, I check for unread posts over at their P3D forum, every day, and mark them read after perusing the titles. There used to be the occasional gem or piece of news.

At the beginning of the year there would be about 15 to 20 posts a day. Since the release of Version 5 there are now 3 to 4 pages worth every 24 hours.

A lot of people seem to be having problems. I think they will be attending to them first.

I did have a thought though: In January/February, I purchased a new Flight Sim PC and downloaded the complete P3D v4.5 package at that time and installed it (so it may be HF3). Prior to that, I had just been updating the P3D  System, and Content units, and not the Scenery install on each fix. The artefact may be in the new base Scenery and could be why some people are not seeing it now and why I hadn't seen it a couple of years ago.

Thanks again,

Aussie

Archived